Video HELP - Should one wait till 1 Dec 07 for DTH connection?

yessgee

Recruit
I am planning to take a TATASKY DTH connection. What I am interested to know is - now that TRAI has issued guidelines for DTH, for implementation from 1.12.2007, should I wait till then or go for the connection right away. The reason for the doubt is, with the new guidelines issued, a DTH operator should make the STB in such a way that it can be used to subscribe to any DTH operator, in case we disconnect from the existing operator. Now are those STBs going to be different to permit such a function or is it merely a software correction that will permit. If so any idea of how such correction can be made as and when required.

Thanks

The directive would apply for existing customers too, they make it unusable with some software update over the air after the service has been discontinued. Although whatever way it works, the truth is, both TataSky and Dish TV have crappy hardware. So if you use TataSky or Dish, it doesn't really help, they both have similar channel lineup and cost structure, but if you're hoping that a better provider will come and provide better quality service, the crappy hardware you inherit from your legacy provider will not really help :)

rishia said:
The directive would apply for existing customers too, they make it unusable with some software update over the air after the service has been discontinued. Although whatever way it works, the truth is, both TataSky and Dish TV have crappy hardware. So if you use TataSky or Dish, it doesn't really help, they both have similar channel lineup and cost structure, but if you're hoping that a better provider will come and provide better quality service, the crappy hardware you inherit from your legacy provider will not really help :)

Thanks Rishia for the info. :)

rishia said:

sory if OT.

Just a question. If its true then what about the initial charges that existing users have paid for (which includes rental/CPE charges for 5 yrs). will that carry to the new provider or do we have to pay again to avail their services.

edit: does this also means that we can buy our own hardware/STB's and just use the VC from the service provider???

Not too sure about the rental part, although it makes perfect sense if you have paid the rent for a certain period beforehand, you can keep the set for that amount of time and if you like keep a different service provider.

Which basically comes from the fact that if you have bought it from your earlier provider, you are just taking the service from the new provider not the STB that makes providing the STB and service separate. So ideally Dish TV could be your STB provider (on rent for 5 years) and Tata Sky could be your content provider. This all makes sense, but then, we're in India :)

This also means you can buy your own STB, like with Doordarshan DTH service, you'll just need to buy the smart card from your content provider and you'll be all set (they might make the cost of the card prohibitive to circumvent the directive). This IMHO is the best part of the TRAI directive, I don't have to pay 3K for an 800 Rs. (In the grey market) STB from the provider, if I'm spending 3K, I'll better get a capable STB rather than an overpriced outdated one that is being thrust upon me.

Back