CPU/Mobo Help - Super Hot Venices !

BIKeINSTEIN

Skilled
Mods!! please redirect this to appropriate forum if i am mistaken again!!:ashamed:
Saw the Intel thing and Jumped in!!:ashamed:

Two of my friends bought new PCs in Sep2005!!:)

Their BIOS shows 2 temps- CPU=60 idle; Ambient=38 idle!!
I get only one Temp- CPU=38-40 idle depending on room temp!!
Their PCs Showing 55-57 degC at startup- in BIOS- no monitoring S/W!!:(
After 10 mins in BIOS, system stable at 60 degC!!:S :no:

They didn't heed my advice on getting some ElCheapo fan at least for exhaust!! So no Exhaust or intake!!
They have two small fans on side panel as exhaust which they think is enough!!:mad:
I read somewhere in TE that those things are intakes for VGA and need to be reversed!! I think Chaos or Crazy_Eddy mentioned that in Zhopudey's Thread!!
I have asked them to do that ASAP!!

So Why the sudden Panic Attack!!??!!

Coz They heard my Temps!!:bleh: But i am sorry for them!!:(
My PC started at 42 degC idle during The Hot days in 2nd week of OCT!! And that worried me enough to rush some posts to you'll at TE!!:ashamed:
But better safe than sorry!!:cool2:
That dropped to 41 idle in 2 days; then 40 by one week!!
Now its at 38 idle?2 hrs chat!!:hap2: Is that OK??

We thought might be heatsink installed wrongly- so reinstalled original hetsink_fan with AS5 this time!! No change!!:(

Here is their almost identical configs!!

Athlon64 3000+ venice 939;
MSI RS480 M2-IL;
512MB DDR400 Kingston value RAM:
combo drive;
80GB SATA HDD;
Color 400W smps;
Zebronic Sivaji cabbies!

Both got Venice 3000+- ADA3000DAA4BP/0520XXXX!!
Don't know about 0520 or how they got it!! Mnemonics had said 0517/18/19 sold out. New stock is 0521/23!!

What can i do for them!??
What do i check/replace??

goldenfrag said:
Applied Thermal Grease?
HeatSink put properly?

I mentioned- AS5+reinstalled original heatsink+fan!!:)
After following cleaning procedure as guided by TE!! thanks to Eazy, Chaos and others!!:hap2:
But Temps kind of sticking!!:(
Not dropping by a single deg!!

Well MSI boards are known to give incorrect reading of the temperatures. Thats been the problem with them for a while now.

Anyways. your idle temp depends on various factors including your room temp, airflow in the case etc.

Also AS5 will drop few degrees after couple of weeks. Thats when it settles in and starts performing at its peak.

If you have good ambiant/room temperature then AS5 drops few degrees immediately. As you are not experiencing any drop in temp it may be because your airflow is not good inside the case or room temperature is too high.

I dont exactly know if MSI board has fan controlling option in the bios like Qfan control. If it has then disable it as otherwise your fan may well be running at lower RPM.

And better HSF will always help.

i think its a problem of wrong readings ..... anyways i have seen too many user with this problem with MSI motherboard specially with latest bios .....

yeah msi boards have lousy temp monitoring. one way i guess is to touch the heatsink and see if its not too hot to touch when the pc is idle.

Seek and you shall find ;) : http://www.techenclave.com/forums/msi-rs480-m2-temperature-bug-10025.html

Undertaker too had this same board, and I remembered him mentioning this temperature bug. So looks like its more of a board/BIOS issue rather than the processor - thats why you never noticed any drop in temps even with application of AS5 etc.

The easiest way to verify this - open the cabinet and touch the heatsink with your hand. If it is cool or mildly lukewarm, you will know the temps are under control. If it is *really* 60C temps, you will have a burnt finger :rofl:

Back