Help with ADSL Modem + Wireless Router

Anish

Skilled
Well the BSNL guys are finally gonna give me my 9 month due connection, within a few days (crossed fingers), so its time I pickup a ADSL Modem + Wifi Router.

My requirements :

1. ADSL Modem (That works well enuf with BSNL :p)
2. 3/4 LAN Ports
3. 802.11g (Any clue on the draft-N routers? I would mind spending a bit extra for one)
4. All the regular features like port-forwarding, etc.

Thanks a ton!

I will suggest you u to get the ADSL router (type -1 ) as given by BSNL Costs 1.2k or so. On top of that buy the Netgear WGR614 v7 Wirelsss router(or the Buffalo one which many TE members have gt) costs arnd 1800 or so. This will save you many troubles later as BSNL guys gives a real prob if u have some other ADSL modem installed :p

This way u r saving as well as gives more flexibility in case there are any problems :)

^ The major issue with the BSNL modem's is that they loose all saved data (Like Virtual Server config, Port Forward config, etc) on power off.

As for the BSNL guys, the local incharge is a good friend, so he'll make sure those retards don't bug me :p

Any other suggestions for this combo?

Dunno about the WAG325N, but the WAG200G is supposed to be pretty decent. Should be available with Texel for around 4k I believe.

i am using Linksys WAG200G without any problems.

the reason i went for this was that buffalo was not available and i did not want two devices on my desk.

till date i have not encountered any problems.

it costed me 4.1k with taxes and setting up was a breeze.

right now here in surat bsnl gives some unbranded chinese wifi routers (most prolly zyxel) which is even crappier that earlier Huawei ones.

Supra said:
I will suggest you u to get the ADSL router (type -1 ) as given by BSNL Costs 1.2k or so. On top of that buy the Netgear WGR614 v7 Wirelsss router(or the Buffalo one which many TE members have gt) costs arnd 1800 or so. This will save you many troubles later as BSNL guys gives a real prob if u have some other ADSL modem installed :p

This way u r saving as well as gives more flexibility in case there are any problems :)

+1

Get the Dlink/netgear adsl modem from the market (not the BSNL one, you get the bugfree ones if you buy from a good vendor) and a tomato compatible wifi router like LinkSys WRT54G.

Tomato FAQ | polarcloud.com

Ordered the Linksys WAG325N from my usual B'lore dealer for 9k all inc, which seems like a decent price.

Thanks everybody and especially medpal for the glowing WAG200G review, will try to put one up as well, once this arrives :)

Cheers!

Back