Graphic Cards Help with GPU advice

babygeek

Recruit
I guess this is to be posted here (new to TE so I had posted it in pheripherals earlier)

Hi

my Situation is...

E7200, 3Gig RAM, Mobo with Geforce 7050 onboard graphics.

I got a 450 W PSU with 14Amps on the single +12V rail (Funda learnt thanks to sabby & morgoth of TE from here.. PC in need of Upgrade)

By running the PC alone on the APC UPS I see the UPS SW telling me that I use 45W when its idle and 70 W when I over load it (this is the max for the apps I use it for right now)

The +12V rail can at best provide 12x14= 168W say 150W and the PSU is rated at 450W all rails.

Here is the Q

I really want to have a 24inch LCD to watch HD movies in 1080p not for gaming.

HELLLLPPPPPP me by telling me

a) Which 24 incher
b) which GPU (nvidia better than 7050)

His requirement is not gaming, so why suggest 9800GTX or 4770??
Also we dont know which brand is PSU is. it could be a generic one. so why risk the system.

mate go for 9600GT. The green edition, which does not need an additional 6pin PCI-E connector. A 9400 GS would also do for HD movies. but 9600GT would be recomended.

sabby said:
I second the 4670 card. You can get a decent gaming experience apart from the 1020 HD movie rendering. :)

+1
hd 4670 is a really good card
at 1024x768 resolution it is a real good performer

ocizer said:
+1
hd 4670 is a really good card
at 1024x768 resolution it is a real good performer

he does NOT want for gaming. and he wants to move to 24" and HD resolution, so where does 1024x768 come into picture. read the first post.

If your require a card only for HD (1080P) Viewing, a Ati 4350 @ 2k should suffice your needs, If you plan to Game casually at a HD resolution you must go for card no lesser then Ati 4770 @7K.

Assuming that my calculation of Wattage on the +12V Rail is somewhat OK, I suppose that I have 75W to spare (see calculation in my initial question)

Will the GPUs suggested (atleast the DDR2 s) manage on the remaining 75W if I use it only for HD on 1080p with a 24 incher like BenQ?

Thats whats breaking my head....

If you are sure you are going to use your GPU only for HD viewing, I suggest close your eyes and go for a 4670 offers excellent performance at very low power consumption just around 50 watts,

Alternatively a even better choice is a 4650 which consumes even lower just around 25 watts.

No need to break your head calculating the Rail power etc etc.. Just drop either of the cards and enjoy:hap2:

Back