Help with setting a server

Rave

ex-Mod
I got a Tikona WiBro connection yesterday, am looking to share it between multiple devices, but Tikona has some weird sharing options and you have to log in from each device in order to connect and apparently only 4 pcs can be connected at once

what am looking to do is, connect the tikona internet to my atom pc which is running ubuntu 9.10, running server on it and connecting the output of this to my netgear wifi router, whic runs in bridge mode with another wifi router in an other room and that has a desktop connected to it

tikona has a dialer as well as a web login feature, so I want it such that it connects automatically on startup, and should the connection drop, reconnect. This way, all the other devices can connect without having to log in

since ive got very little idea about linux, need you help in setting all this up in linux

TIA

If you have a wireless router which has a repeater mode, then you should be able to repeat the Tikona signal to other machines. As fas the Tikona modem is concerned only one user is connected.

Also if your router can support dd-wrt or other similar firmwares you will be able to use shell scripts to automate the login process.

Hi,

you will need to setup a Proxy server in Ubuntu. squid Proxy Server is excellent tool used by ISPs,Enterprises etc. It also implements caching, hence you will notice a overall increase in browsing speeds.

Here is how to set it up:

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/serverguide/C/squid.html

How to Setup Transparent Squid Proxy Server in Ubuntu|Ubuntu Geek

http://www.ehow.com/how_5019947_set-up-proxy-server-ubuntu.html

Lastly, web login/dailer are not standard auth protocols, hence you will need to implement custom hacks.I wonder why ISPs are stupid not to use standard auth protocals like PPPoE,L2TP,PPTP etc. it would make the job of connecting whole lot easier.

try out the proxy/Nat options....u can use iptables feature for nat functions...never tried natting on linux machines,i have done it on windows servers and routers.

Simple solution

1) Install XP on the server. You can use TinyXP or whatever

2) Install a Proxy server on the server

3) Enable RDP on the server

4) Use proxy server to browse net from other computers

5) You can also use Remote Desktop to connect to server incase of any issues.

Back