help with upgrading

aka007

Disciple
Hi guys,

I got my new computer in 2008 so due to obvious reasons it doesnt run games.

It has been a long time since i played some good games in my computer. My computer config is

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.2 ghz (2 CPUs)

2 GB ram (i guess it is DDR2)

160 GB hardisk

Nvidia GeForce 7050/ Nvidia nForce 610i (it is 256mb but i dont know why it shows 512mb)

the graphic card is integrated

my motherboard ASUS P5N-MX Nvidia Chipset Driver

so my motherboard will accept a max of 4GB ram.

now my questions

1: Can i put any graphic card i want as my motherboard has a GPU slot?

2: what should i upgrade in order to play the latest games?

3: how much will a good CPU cost me?

HELP!!!

Hi,

Please mention your budget for upgrade. Also mention what kind of games would u be playing and at what resolution.

Answers to your question:

1.Yes, you can buy any graphic card of your choice (pci-express). For mid and higher range you will need a new PSU.

2.IMO you need to upgrade your whole system to play LATEST games (smoothly).

3.The Intel Second generation CPU would cost anything between 9k to 30k (mobo + CPU).

You can try for a second hand quad core (775 socket) for a good gaming experience. Plus ATI 5670/ 6670 1gb. Corsair CX 430 and 2x2gb DDR2 800.

• Q: What is your budget?
    • 5 k
  • Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.2 ghz (2 CPUs)
    • Motherboard - ASUS P5N-MX Nvidia Chipset Driver
    • GPU - Nvidia GeForce 7050/ Nvidia nForce 610i (it is 256mb but i dont know why it shows 512mb)
    • RAM - 2 GB
    • Monitor - Samsung CRT 17 inch SyncMaster 789 MB plus
  • Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor
    • CPU
    • Motherboard
  • Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • GPU
    • Ram

• Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Open to online purchase
    • Chennai
  • Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

• Yes if it is in good and working condition(problem free)
  • Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • HTPC
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  • Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 4
    • Racing - Grid at medium to high settings
    • prince of persia latest
  • Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • if i get help from someone
  • Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows XP,7

Gpu-SAPPHIRE HD5670 512MB DDR5-4.4k or SAPPHIRE HD6450 2GB DDR3-3.6K

RAM-Kingston Value RAM 1GB DDR2 800mhz-0.8k

Sir which psu do you have,if it's not a good branded psu then i would suggest you to get,Fsp sagaii 400w-1.9k or Corsair cx430v2-2.2k.

Gpu-SAPPHIRE HD5670 512MB DDR5-4.4k or SAPPHIRE HD6450 2GB DDR3-3.6K

RAM-Kingston Value RAM 1GB DDR2 800mhz-0.8k

Sir which psu do you have,if it's not a good branded psu then i would suggest you to get,Fsp sagaii 400w-1.9k or Corsair cx430v2-2.2k.

How do i check the psu? and i got the HP iCool cabinet. how come 2gb is for 3.6 and 512 is costlier. which one is better. if i upgrade my GPU will that be enough to run games?

#aka007 put in your requirements in this format -- http://www.techencla...ing-for-advice/, then we'll be able to help you out better. Cheers!!

have put it up in the specified format

How do i check the psu? and i got the HP iCool cabinet. how come 2gb is for 3.6 and 512 is costlier. which one is better. if i upgrade my GPU will that be enough to run games?

Means that you do NOT have a good PSU. You'll have to buy 3 items, a GPU, a stick of RAM and a PSU.

Go with the products #thegatekeeper has told you to go with.

how is this psu

http://www.ebay.in/i...#ht_2998wt_1019

or iBall Compact Slim Compact 400 Watts Power Supply SMPS | eBay

if these are quivalent to the corsair ones then i can spend a little more money on the GPU

and also what about the nvidia GTx 550 ti. used also will do

#aka007, try to get a used GTS 450 OR GTX 550Ti ~4500/- or so, but it'll be hard to get the latter due to it being a relatively new model as well as a decent nVidia card in the sub-8000/- quid category.

If both these above solutions are out of your grasp, get this MSi GTS 250 [Dx 10 support and good performer upto 19" screen sizes] --> http://www.techencla...105-msi-gts250/.

Also for SMPS get atleast the FSP Saga II 400W ~ 1900/- OR better get this Corsair CX V2 430W ~ 2400/-.

Do not even try to compromise on the SMPS below these models as you'll come to regret it later when you will need to upgrade other components [hard drives, RAM modules et al] OR in case of a complete system overhaul.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

wont compromise on the SMPS now.

now graphic card is a problem. A new SAPPHIRE HD5670 512MB DDR5 or SAPPHIRE HD6450 2GB DDR3

or a used [font=arial, sans-serif]GTS 450 [/font]OR[font=arial, sans-serif] GTX 550Ti.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Is anyone selling a used gtx 550ti[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]i need a graphic card for gaming. please guys also check if my processor is compatible or not.[/font]

wont compromise on the SMPS now.

now graphic card is a problem. A new SAPPHIRE HD5670 512MB DDR5 or SAPPHIRE HD6450 2GB DDR3

or a used [font=arial, sans-serif]GTS 450 [/font]OR[font=arial, sans-serif] GTX 550Ti.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Is anyone selling a used gtx 550ti[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]i need a graphic card for gaming. please guys also check if my processor is compatible or not.[/font]

I would suggest you to get a used 5770 with some warranty for around 4k and get the Fsp saga ii 400w for 1.9k.

This will definitely give your system an immense boost.

Well you can get a new gigabyte 5770 for 4k but you need to know the way to get that :)
<

i am planning to buy the 5770.

Now help me with the PSU. The Hd 5770 requires 450W so which PSU should be bought. I want the cheapest one. But not compromising on the quality. I want the GPU to give its 100%. Now tell me.

i have shortlisted

1)

Corsair 430W V2 CX Series PSU

2)

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
FSP Saga II 500W Power Supply​
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
3)​
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
FSP Saga II 400W Power Supply​