PC Peripherals Help with UPS

ReVo_007

#techie
ex-Mod
I have a 600VA APC, Back-UPS RS 600, it handles my rig + stuffs pretty well , I wanted to upgrade to something that support PowerChute aka auto shutdown in time of outage when am not around. And onther question does the software shutdown the PC only or the whole UPS ? When I bought mine I didnt get the UPS which supported this feature as they went out of production and stock. Any UPS thats good and support the feature and the minimum price :p as I dont need much backup time.[DOUBLEPOST=1404885114][/DOUBLEPOST]anyone any idea??

Last edited:
I had bought a APC 600VA for Rs.3200+ in 2006, just before Schneider Electric took over APC.
Powerchute was bundled with the package and connectivity was through a RJ45 RJ50 male to USB male cable.

I did not like the software. I usually like to wait for 5 minutes to see if the power returns, but it will annoy me to shut down, so I would pull-out the cable... everytime! So I uninstalled it.

One thing I like about Powerchute is, it would display the total power drawn as watts. It was like 115W for a AMD Sempron machine with 17" CRT monitor.

A couple of years later, I found a third party solution APC UPS Daemon. I did not use it directly, but wrote my own tool based on that. That is, my tool will shutdown only if I am not working on the computer. ( Tool will be checking for keyboard+mouse activity and act accordingly ).

Well. APC is a great UPS, worked for 4 years with the original battery. When I tried to replace the dead battery I was quoted a price like Rs.1500. I went an bought an Intex for Rs.1100, instead. I recently disposed APC UPS as scrap for Rs. 100!!!

does the software shutdown the PC only or the whole UPS ?
PC only.. UPS will be squealing unless you power it off or until the grid power returns.

Any UPS thats good and support the feature and the minimum price
A software like powerchute WILL cost you. This APC model ( BE700Y-IND ) seems to have the feature, according to the documentation.
It is available in ebay.in for Rs. 4,239.00. There is no mention of Powerchute but description says "Interface Port(s) : USB".
You may clarify it with the seller.

Last edited:
I had bought a APC 600VA for Rs.3200+ in 2006, just before Schneider Electric took over APC.
Powerchute was bundled with the package and connectivity was through a RJ45 male to USB male cable.
( RJ45 is a type of pin usually meant to connect an ethernet NIC )

I did not like the software. I usually like to wait for 5 minutes to see if the power returns, but it will annoy me to shut down, so I would pull-out the cable... everytime! So I uninstalled it.

One thing I like about Powerchute is, it would display the total power drawn as watts. It was like 115W for a AMD Sempron machine with 17" CRT monitor.

A couple of years later, I found a third party solution APC UPS Daemon. I did not use it directly, but wrote my own tool based on that. That is, my tool will shutdown only if I am not working on the computer. ( Tool will be checking for keyboard+mouse activity and act accordingly ).

Well. APC is a great UPS, worked for 4 years with the original battery. When I tried to replace the dead battery I was quoted a price like Rs.1500. I went an bought an Intex for Rs.1100, instead. I recently disposed APC UPS as scrap for Rs. 100!!!

PC only.. UPS will be squealing unless you power it off or until the grid power returns.

A software like powerchute WILL cost you. This APC model ( BE700Y-IND ) seems to have the feature, according to the documentation.
It is available in ebay.in for Rs. 4,239.00. There is no mention of Powerchute but description says "Interface Port(s) : USB".
You may clarify it with the seller.
Thanks for such a detailed info .

I've got an 8year old 1KVA Powersafe UPS that connects to my computer via a serial port. It can shut down the computer automatically, and can be easily overridden. It can turn off the alarm too, so the beeping won't bother you.

it's 8 years old...I doubt it'll be available today...just saying Indian brands have the same features as APC at a lower price.
I got it for about Rs.4000.

yeah am open to other Indian brand if they are good . I have had used frontech and supercomp initially after which i moved to APC and APC has been performing extraordinary so far . Am open to others suggestions as well apart from APC .

I need the same for a office setup. Was told nothing less than 10K would support serial/USB feature. Any advice about this?

On a different note, we have this expensive UPS, but does not work with powerchute nor NUTs. So, would prefer NUTs support.

^ The BE700Y-IND appears to be the cheapest UPS with a USB port for monitoring. NUTs just mentions support for 'Back-UPS USB', and this model is a Back-UPS model with a USB port, so might work.

Bought the BE700Y. I can confirm that it works with PowerChute and it is rather neat. Apart from the a tunable shut-down option, it also provides power usage stats, such as watts, kWh and INR cost. It has both types of usage stats: point-in time and duration based. Pretty good for a Rs.3900 UPS

I need some help from fellow APC BE700Y-IND owners. Can you please check what battery you have in the UPS. Along with the battery is there a piece of foam in the battery cavity?

Back