Help with Wifi for laptop

F-0ccY

Skilled
Just to clear this out, I am a total noob when it comes to Wifi and internet networking stuff so please keep the explanations as simple as possible.

I just bought the D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N Router.I need some advice on what I should do next?

I was thinking of calling MTNL and asking about their plans, because I need a separate connection for Wifi and won't be using my Desktop's connection for it.

Could anyone suggest some good plans from any of the service providers?

TIA.

Instead of using 2 separate plans why not go for a single high capacity plan like 512kbps or 1mbps? I've done the same and I'm on Reliance wired broadband 600kbps. It works fine because the wifi is used atmost a few hours a day and the rest of the time I'm downloading @ 70kbps :D

How about Reliance Wimax ? 400Kbps Unlimited for around 990/-.

No downtimes. Awesome connection. Good Download Speeds.

Forgive my ignorance, but don't you need a DSL or cable modem that needs to be attached to the wifi router? Or can I just connect the cable that's connected to my desktop's Ethernet port?

You can use the cable connected to your desktop's ethernet port..Plug it into the ethernet port of your router..

Does your internet need to login ?

Yes its a PPPoE connection.

So, I need to connect the cable that's connected to my Ethernet port to the WAN port in the Wifi router and use the other wire provided in the wifi router's box to connect one end to the 1st LAN slot and the other end to the Ethernet port on my laptop? or desktop?

Ok heres a small guide

1) take out the desktop internet ethernet cable.

2) plugit in the first ethernet slot of the wifi modem.

3) thenuse another ethernet cable to connect the modem to your desktop through the second ethernet slot.

4) Put in the pppoe settings, by going to 192.168.1.1( or refer your manual for the address) i your internet browser and you can refer the manual or search the net or ask some one with similar config, configuring PPPOe shud be very easy on your own too.

5) then use wifi or other lan ports to connect..you'l need a wifi dongle for your desktop or else use with ethernet..

6) you'l need to restart the router once you save the PPPOE settings.

Here's what I did.

I connect the ethernet cable from my PC into the router's WAN (internet port), then I connected the provided cable from the router into the LAN 1 port in the router and the other end into the PC's ethernet port.But there's a red sign showing that its not connected to the internet which is weird because I can login and post this message when I'm connected through the router.

F|0ccY said:
Here's what I did.

I connect the ethernet cable from my PC into the router's WAN (internet port), then I connected the provided cable from the router into the LAN 1 port in the router and the other end into the PC's ethernet port.But there's a red sign showing that its not connected to the internet which is weird because I can login and post this message when I'm connected through the router.

That means you're still dialing from windows right?

That red light wil go when you dial from the router itself, which means once you start the router, all you have to do is just open the browser and start browsing, no manual dialing and stuff..

Now that you have connected the cables properly, get the router dialing using PPPOE..

But to config the router to do so, I need to access it right?

I can't do that either.When I punch in the provided router IP, nothing opens up.

Are you sure I don't need a cable modem for this to work? My WiFi router doesn't have an inbuilt DSL router.

do some googling and you will find some cool VDO tuts. Also instead of two diff connections get a single connection with more bandwidth and set up a small home network. Its just a one time task....

In your current setup, what is the IP address your PC is getting?? Go to Start > Run > CMD > ipconfig and check what the IP address and the default gateway are and post back here.

My IP, Gateway and DNS are all setup according to what my ISP has given me.

I got the router to start, but there still is some problem using the PPPoE connection.My cable guy tried it out himself and he couldn't get it working too.

Back