Helping with an Internship survey w/ Ajio

Astrek

Recruit
DISCLAIMER: This survey is being done by AJIO as a part of their internship programs where they will certify the participating students so that they can obtain a degree form their clg/univ.

Heyo Peeps!
My friend is currently doing research for her final year project at NIFT. They were having trouble reaching out to people (since there arent many communities on home & kitchen segment of Indian market or we aint aware of any.) and I told them abt this community. They asked me to post their form and here I am.
They would really appreciate your input. So please, do fill out the form if you can.

Form link - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...lxXLDdWjb4KKjO9rYa6zX8Rw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Can you clarify/answer the following questions before I can answer the question on the form, as I have no way to reach your friend except through you.
1. Who is collecting the data?
2. Who owns the submitted data?
3. Under what data sharing agreement you are collecting this data?
4. Does the data sharing agreement allows for data ownership change?
5. Can the data once shared be recalled for update/edit/withdrawal?
6. Who can terminate the data sharing agreement?
7. If the data sharing agreement is terminated what happens to the data?
8. What is your procedure for informing the respondents if there is any change in the data sharing agreement/data usage agreement/etc?
9. What is the data retention policy?
10. What this data going to be used for exactly?
11. Will this data be used for any other purpose in future?
12. Where the data is going to be held?
13. What kind of data abstraction is used?
14. Does the respondents are profiled?
15. Are these profiles been shared with third parties?
16. Will the raw data be ever shared with any third party?

I don't want to be a dot on a graph without fully understand it.

Regards

Hi,
Can you clarify/answer the following questions before I can answer the question on the form, as I have no way to reach your friend except through you.
8. What is your procedure for informing the respondents if there is any change in the data sharing agreement/data usage agreement/etc?

Regards

lol. Also, please provide certification from approved accreditation bodies to demonstrate that you are GDPR-compliant

lol. Also, please provide certification from approved accreditation bodies to demonstrate that you are GDPR-compliant
I believe you are making this in jest, But the reason I asked the question is
1. Students are taught research methods when they want to do any research and I am sure data handling is an important part of it.
2. The owner ship of the collected data is passed on to the university/college(almost 99% of times) when the said student submit their thesis, as the thesis itself becomes the property of the university/college. Unless the data is excluded with an agreement with the respondents.
3. GDPR complaint is to be undertaken by the university/college in this case NIFT as they are the data processor and controllers here.

The questioner is good and it has potential to derive some interesting conclusions from it and if they(students) get a large enough sample size then they can easily monetize it(though research publications) so it is imperative that they think this through.

Regards

University can always sell the data to third parties for anything.

Asking questions is not bad and should not be made fun of or ridiculed by anyone.

Edit: looks like its primary objective is related to Ajio website. 100% this is not a student thesis.
Look at all the compulsory answer required questions related to Ajio below this question.

Have you purchased from AJIO Home & Kitchen in the website ?*

Some digital marketing i guess.

I am not sure about this, if the author/researcher has an explicit agreement with the respondents that states that ownership of the data is non transferable to anyone except the said researcher/author then university will own the findings as set out in the scope of the research and not any future findings and will not be able to get its hands on the raw data. Even when the research itself is funded by the university/some organization, the data can still be withheld from them through agreements.

Under which category this person is studying for home and kitchen electronics at Nift? All i see is fashion related stuff.

List of UG Programs
B.Des. (Fashion Design)
B.Des. (Leather Design)
B.Des. (Accessory Design)
B.Des. (Textile Design)
B.Des. (Knitwear Design)
B.Des. (Fashion Communication)
B.FTech. (Apparel Production)

List of PG Programs
M.Des. (Master of Design)
M.F.M. (Master of Fashion Management)
M.FTech. (Master of Fashion Technology)

Asking questions is not bad and should not be made fun of or ridiculed by anyone.

Edit: looks like its primary objective is related to Ajio website. 100% this is not a student thesis.
Look at all the compulsory answer required questions related to Ajio below this question.

I see your point. But this is solely due to their topic being around the lines of "E-commerce at Ajio". But I assure u this is for a student thesis. They were handed this when this was allocated to them - "understand the customer buying behaviour and perception while they are buying Home & Kitchen products."

Hi,

Regards
Yup I totally understand. I have sent them the list, and will update you when they reply back.

UPDATE -

1. quoting them - "Student of NIFT Bangalore as part of the curriculum I require to do a research project to understand the real situation in the marketplace and hence the survey for the company I am working with."
2. Geetika Patra, master's student
3.4.6.7. there is no legal agreement.
5.No
8. Most likely none
9. 5 months till their internship ends and they get the degree.
10. Research paper of the student
11. Not by the student.
12. google forms so google storage
13. No idea
14. 15. Nope not done by the student
16. Most likely they will be asked by the company to submit it for "proofing/verifying" -- This will most likely be the way how the informal data ownership change will work.

As said in another reply they are doing this for their final year project and will be marked by the interning company - AJIO in this case. AJIO in all likelihood will take over the data from the students with the pretext of verifying the research.
These type of things are being done by the majority company to indirectly collect surveys and profile people.

yeah mate.... highly doubt that will happen but will still ask them for the giggles.
Edit - got a reply... apparently Yes... did not expect that.

Under which category this person is studying for home and kitchen electronics at Nift? All i see is fashion related stuff.

List of UG Programs
B.Des. (Fashion Design)
B.Des. (Leather Design)
B.Des. (Accessory Design)
B.Des. (Textile Design)
B.Des. (Knitwear Design)
B.Des. (Fashion Communication)
B.FTech. (Apparel Production)

List of PG Programs
M.Des. (Master of Design)
M.F.M. (Master of Fashion Management)
M.FTech. (Master of Fashion Technology)
They are under M.F.M and are required to do this project...
Quoting them - "I study the buying and merchandising of Fashion n fashion related products. Currently I am interning with Ajio for their home.n kitchen vertical n the research work I am doing is for just for my research"

I am not sure about this, if the author/researcher has an explicit agreement with the respondents that states that ownership of the data is non transferable to anyone except the said researcher/author then university will own the findings as set out in the scope of the research and not any future findings and will not be able to get its hands on the raw data. Even when the research itself is funded by the university/some organization, the data can still be withheld from them through agreements.
True this....they dont have one. But most student arent allowed to do data agreements coz of shitty company practices of indirect data collection. (IK someone who was called to a side and asked by his supervisor during the internship to stop this or the company will kick you in a polite way...) As said in another reply, they taking the dataset under the pretext of verification, from the student's hand is highly likely.

Yeah these questionnaires do wrk as digi adverts and profiling instruments for companies... They use students to capture the respondent's emotions as this is way more effective at collecting data than doing it first party which sometimes will backfire onto PR.

Last edited:
1. quoting them - "Student of NIFT Bangalore as part of the curriculum I require to do a research project to understand the real situation in the marketplace and hence the survey for the company I am working with."
2. Geetika Patra, master's student
3.4.6.7. there is no legal agreement.
5.No
8. Most likely none
9. 5 months till their internship ends and they get the degree.
10. Research paper of the student
11. Not by the student.
12. google forms so google storage
13. No idea
14. 15. Nope not done by the student
16. Most likely they will be asked by the company to submit it for "proofing/verifying" -- This will most likely be the way how the informal data ownership change will work.

As said in another reply they are doing this for their final year project and will be marked by the interning company - AJIO in this case. AJIO in all likelihood will take over the data from the students with the pretext of verifying the research.
These type of things are being done by the majority company to indirectly collect surveys and profile people.
There are some issues with the submitted answers.
P1. So it is AJIO doing the survery under the cover of student project
P2. If it is done for AJIO and they have control then the data is indirectly owned by AJIO and your friend(Student is just a face for the public)
P3. With no agreement what rights does the respondents have?
P4. This much personal information collection under the guise of student project is dishonest, morally/ethically incorrect and downright illegal as we the respondents were never made aware of AJIO's hold on the data.

Quoting them - "I study the buying and merchandising of Fashion n fashion related products. Currently I am interning with Ajio for their home.n kitchen vertical n the research work I am doing is for just for my research"
This is complete bollocks, they are doing the bidding of the AJIO here.
True this....they dont have one. But most student arent allowed to do data agreements coz of shitty company practices of indirect data collection. (IK someone who was called to a side and asked by his supervisor during the internship to stop this or the company will kick you in a polite way...) As said in another reply, they taking the dataset under the pretext of verification, from the student's hand is highly likely.

Yeah these questionnaires do wrk as digi adverts and profiling instruments for companies... They use students to capture the respondent's emotions as this is way more effective at collecting data than doing it first party which sometimes will backfire onto PR.
I suggest you edit the first post (or get a mod to edit) and make a huge disclaimer stating clearly that this survey is done by AJIO.

There are some issues with the submitted answers.
P1. So it is AJIO doing the survery under the cover of student project
P2. If it is done for AJIO and they have control then the data is indirectly owned by AJIO and your friend(Student is just a face for the public)
P3. With no agreement what rights does the respondents have?
P4. This much personal information collection under the guise of student project is dishonest, morally/ethically incorrect and downright illegal as we the respondents were never made aware of AJIO's hold on the data.

This is complete bollocks, they are doing the bidding of the AJIO here.

I suggest you edit the first post (or get a mod to edit) and make a huge disclaimer stating clearly that this survey is done by AJIO.
P1 and P2 I agree
P3 none
P4 This is literally done by every company with an online presence and a relation to any clg and univ in India... Students are kinda forced to do these "research paper" to just get a degree... The system's busted and we cant help it.
Dishonest, morally/ethically incorrect yeah this is kind of a grey area in these cases since it's not like students are being dishonest here. They are doing it as part of their graduation....
And legality.... since no agreements are being made between the company and students (public facing entity for data collection) the company will not come under any judiciary sight for this. Unlike the students who are being forced to do these, the respondents are not being forced to submit data. So highly doubt it will come under any legal fire.

Yeah, i will be putting a disclaimer abt the situation.

((PS - Heyo mod!
Can u pls add the following as a disclaimer in the main post with like a big DISCLAIMER thingy-
"This survey is being done by AJIO as a part of their internship programs where they will certify the participating students so that they can obtain a degree form their clg/univ. "
Also delete everything within brackets.))

This didnt work!^
@b.life how do i get hold of a mod?

Last edited:
P4 This is literally done by every company with an online presence and a relation to any clg and univ in India... Students are kinda forced to do these "research paper" to just get a degree... The system's busted and we cant help it.
Just because everyone does it is no justification, I hope you understand that.

Dishonest, morally/ethically incorrect yeah this is kind of a grey area in these cases since it's not like students are being dishonest here. They are doing it as part of their graduation....
And legality.... since no agreements are being made between the company and students (public facing entity for data collection) the company will not come under any judiciary sight for this. Unlike the students who are being forced to do these, the respondents are not being forced to submit data. So highly doubt it will come under any legal fire.
1. When you present a questioner claiming to be doing it as a part of your final year project where the reality is you are doing it for a company you intern, that is called false pretense which is illegal
2. Omission by Intention which is happening here is clearly dishonest and claiming it that everyone does it will not absolve the person(Your friend)
3. No legal action by the respondent can be taken on the company(AJIO here), but your friend can be held accountable for false pretense and can be sued.

Edit 1: Sorry I saw your query only after the first post was edited, If you want to for future use, just Tag the mods, and that will do

Just because everyone does it is no justification, I hope you understand that.
This I understand completely. But then again can you ask all the people in their final years to not do this and not get a degree?
1. When you present a questioner claiming to be doing it as a part of your final year project where the reality is you are doing it for a company you intern, that is called false pretense which is illegal
2. Omission by Intention which is happening here is clearly dishonest and claiming it that everyone does it will not absolve the person(Your friend)
3. No legal action by the respondent can be taken on the company(AJIO here), but your friend can be held accountable for false pretense and can be sued.
1. Since the clg/univ and the company are telling the students to do this for their final year's project... Wont the defendant (student) just shift the whole thing onto them as they were the ones who allotted this "project" to them. At the end of the day, the student has not been informed abt what will happen to the dataset that they will be submitting for "verification"
2. I don't think it was intentionally omitted as this was the "whole information that was given to them - " do this (market research) to get ur degree" and since this was directed towards the student by the clg/univ arent they the one who are omitting information during their communication.
3. The student (here my friend) did mention the communicated bits - that they are a student at the clg and they are doing it as part of their graduation project. And since this was all that was communicated to them, I dont think the judiciary will charge the defendant in this case. And for this and some other reasons this is considered grey area and is being utilised to its limit by corporates..

This I understand completely. But then again can you ask all the people in their final years to not do this and not get a degree?
I believe me being not clear led to this misunderstanding. So lets put it to rest.
P1. Students collecting data for a corporation as part of their course is perfectly legal and there is no gray area here.
P2. If the data is collected without mentioning that the data collection is undertaken on behalf of a corporation but only mentions the college part then it becomes an issue and it becomes illegal.

The following is added for information purpose as I believe where the problem is has been made clear.

1. Since the clg/univ and the company are telling the students to do this for their final year's project... Wont the defendant (student) just shift the whole thing onto them as they were the ones who allotted this "project" to them. At the end of the day, the student has not been informed abt what will happen to the dataset that they will be submitting for "verification"
Unfortunately no, if there is a verbal/written order stating that do not mention the affiliation with the company, then the responsibility shifts and data commissioners will side with the student even of student says it was an verbal order/it was hinted/etc. If no such thing exist then it stays with the student as they are legally bound to inform the respondent about the involvement of the company for which they are collecting the data.

2. I don't think it was intentionally omitted as this was the "whole information that was given to them - " do this (market research) to get ur degree" and since this was directed towards the student by the clg/univ arent they the one who are omitting information during their communication.
It may not be the case here but it definitely look like intentional omission. I am quoting their statement here, "I am doing is for just for my research" and In the same sentence they mention "I am interning with Ajio for their home.n kitchen vertical n the research work" but never mention the dual beneficiary of the process. My guess is poor choice of wording, but It wont hold when it is taken to a review committee.

3. The student (here my friend) did mention the communicated bits - that they are a student at the clg and they are doing it as part of their graduation project. And since this was all that was communicated to them, I dont think the judiciary will charge the defendant in this case. And for this and some other reasons this is considered grey area and is being utilised to its limit by corporates..
This is the same as point one of yours. I also don't believe there is any gray area here, the students are told to collect data as part of their internship, which is perfectly legal(assuming the student agreed to do it). Students doing the work for the corporation is also legal. Only gray area I can think of is students being forced(indirectly through blackmail,hits of repercussions,etc) to do the data collection, then it becomes workplace related issue I believe. I am no legal expert so I have no idea.

I am looking at this from the research community perspective where data privacy is paramount, so take it for what it is worth.

Regards

Ajio verification means they only want the email address to send junk email to respondents.
Flipkart, Amazon, Tatas etc everyone do such kind of study but they don't ask every answer be compulsory.

Anyway, it's good that both the op and their friend doing this 'research' are transparent with their answers. And it's not like they are forcing us to fill up the form, so it's upto us if we want to go ahead with it. No need to dunk on them so much imo.

I believe me being not clear led to this misunderstanding. So lets put it to rest.
P1. Students collecting data for a corporation as part of their course is perfectly legal and there is no gray area here.
P2. If the data is collected without mentioning that the data collection is undertaken on behalf of a corporation but only mentions the college part then it becomes an issue and it becomes illegal.

The following is added for information purpose as I believe where the problem is has been made clear.

Unfortunately no, if there is a verbal/written order stating that do not mention the affiliation with the company, then the responsibility shifts and data commissioners will side with the student even of student says it was an verbal order/it was hinted/etc. If no such thing exist then it stays with the student as they are legally bound to inform the respondent about the involvement of the company for which they are collecting the data.

It may not be the case here but it definitely look like intentional omission. I am quoting their statement here, "I am doing is for just for my research" and In the same sentence they mention "I am interning with Ajio for their home.n kitchen vertical n the research work" but never mention the dual beneficiary of the process. My guess is poor choice of wording, but It wont hold when it is taken to a review committee.

This is the same as point one of yours. I also don't believe there is any gray area here, the students are told to collect data as part of their internship, which is perfectly legal(assuming the student agreed to do it). Students doing the work for the corporation is also legal. Only gray area I can think of is students being forced(indirectly through blackmail,hits of repercussions,etc) to do the data collection, then it becomes workplace related issue I believe. I am no legal expert so I have no idea.

I am looking at this from the research community perspective where data privacy is paramount, so take it for what it is worth.

Regards
TL;DR - None of our would have happened if my friend just has included where they work in the form or in their introductory msg.

Regards
It was quite nice going back n forth over this matter with someone who was calm throughout the process. And yes I will take it for what it's worth. Cheers!

Back