High CPU Temp 82C AMD Ryzen 7 5800x

fabkid

Recruit
Recently the CPU hitting high temp and system feels sluggish at times not always.
This happens when I play steam games or watch long netflix, prime videos.
Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II

Is 82C normal temp under load, 50C with no load, should I be worried?

Can I do any maintance to bring the temp down? The case is above table with good airflow also.

Attachments

• Ryzen5800x-temp.png
    Ryzen5800x-temp.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 712
Recently the CPU hitting high temp and system feels sluggish at times not always.

Can I do any maintance to bring the temp down? The case is above table with good airflow also.
mine is at 70c with a 360 rad. its been hot since last 2 days. so 2 reasons. climate / season temp and thermal paste. check the thermal paste at the moment.

Read here..

Now summers have almost started so after boot, idle temp starts at 42c and normalizes to 50/51c however yet to check on games.
This behavior is since past 8 days. In chilly winters it was all uber cool!
Checked while gaming and its still around 63c so seems perfectly fine as 13-14c incline between idle to full load is simply awesome! Mind it its on stock wraith cooler so its again a huge plus.

Last edited:

What I have observed is AIOs suck for ryzen mostly whereas a normal air cooler in fact has proven significantly on par in cooling temps!

Last edited:
If you are worried about the temperatures, there really is no need to as the CPUs are designed to increase their clock as long as there is power & thermal budget (Up to 95 degree) available. So, the only way to make sure the processor don't reach its max temperature is to make sure that it is cooled properly while consuming it's full power budget.

If you still really want to see good temperatures & are more importantly annoyed by the loud fan noise in regular usage, I would suggest getting some air cooler within a 2k-3k budget, even a cheap Deepcool Gammax 400 will do. Along with this look up Ryzen undervolting through PBO, you basically want to set a negative voltage offset in the bios & not worry about clock speeds... 99% of the time doing so will allow your processor to run cooler which will in turn allow your processor to boost for longer & will increase your overall multi core performance in sustained load.

You can avoid all settings and set the thermal throttle limit. I’m using 90C. No more temp errors or sudden restarts. But expect lower boost frequencies during summers. My chip is also not very voltage curve friendly and this is my 2nd 5800x chip after selling the 1st one. I was getting max boost around 4.2 with MSI Core Frozer L and 4.5 with new NH-D15S(same 90C limit).

You can avoid all settings and set the thermal throttle limit. I’m using 90C. No more temp errors or sudden restarts. But expect lower boost frequencies during summers. My chip is also not very voltage curve friendly and this is my 2nd 5800x chip after selling the 1st one. I was getting max boost around 4.2 with MSI Core Frozer L and 4.5 with new NH-D15S(same 90C limit).
y u sold the first and got the same chip again ?

I thought I got very sensitive and weak chip. But the next one was also behaving the same.
Provide better cooling and see for yourself
Check once the cooler whether it is fitted nicely or not. For me and a professional fitting an aio became an Yagnam until it got fitted nicely.

I do something similar too. Instead of full power saving I keep max CPU state to 99% instead of 100% so it doesn't boost as high and min is 5% (like intel). Idle consumption is just under 20W and normal desktop usage goes upto 35W.

Last edited:
try the power saving option when on desktop mode. My 5600x sits on 2.2 Ghz than 4.2 Ghz and hence is on lower temps and saves electricity as well.
When I want to game, I put it on high performance
not relevant. I am on 4.2ghz oc on all cores. but normally its 1.7 or 2.2 or anything lower ( 0.3mhz is the least I have seen ). it is done by amd automatically. why manually change it ?

1646060302854.png

the above is when my youtube is one and I am also working and plus I was posting on this thread :p

try the power saving option when on desktop mode. My 5600x sits on 2.2 Ghz than 4.2 Ghz and hence is on lower temps and saves electricity as well.
When I want to game, I put it on high performance
Any specific option to tweak in Power saving mode or you selected the mode with all defaults..

not relevant. I am on 4.2ghz oc on all cores. but normally its 1.7 or 2.2 or anything lower ( 0.3mhz is the least I have seen ). it is done by amd automatically. why manually change it ?

View attachment 128060

the above is when my youtube is one and I am also working and plus I was posting on this thread :p
What tool is this?

Last edited:
Any specific option to tweak in Power saving mode or you selected the mode with all defaults..

What tool is this?

by default only. thats ryzen master

Its by default. Ive never seen it go lower than 2.2 . Maybe Im missing something in power saver settings or in bios.
How did you manage to go so low or is it by default ?

Its by default. Ive never seen it go lower than 2.2 . Maybe Im missing something in power saver settings or in bios.
How did you manage to go so low or is it by default ?
MIne too always stays stock @1.7ghz if I enable power saving mode and it lags a bit so switched back to my custom setting profile.
by default only. thats ryzen master
I too thought but it isnt even if its written..may be themed version.
This is how Ryzen master looks usually.. and no theme change option as well.

238593-ryzen-master-ui-apu-graphics-overclocking-1260.jpg

Last edited:
Back