High speed via wifi but slow speed via Ethernet

psybronik

Adept
Hi guys,

i have this small problem and i need your help

i recently assembled a pc and connected the internet.
i noticed that when i'm downloading something on my cell through wifi (on torrent) i get a speed of 5mbps
but when i download on my pc through ethernet cable i geta speed of 500kbps (on torrrent)

can anyone please let me know how can i get over this problem.
my Ethernet cable is old is that a problem ?

i have a gigabyte z170x gaming 5

You will need to change your cable to cat 6 specs since the your existing cable is providing more resistance to the signals and your Ethernet card is not being able to get full band with, alternatively you can also open ur eth port settings and change the speed and duplex settings to 10mbps full duplex this will improve speed but long term resolution will be cabling change , hope you solve your problem

Do install latest driver for your Ethernet card.

i have this KILLER ethernet port on my gigabyte ga z170x gaming 5. it has its own app.when i went to device manager and try to update the killer lan drivers it said that the drivers are upto date

Go to your ethernet's properties, set speed and duplex to full duplex. Default is half duplex.

i will try this and let you know if this works thanks buddy

You will need to change your cable to cat 6 specs since the your existing cable is providing more resistance to the signals and your Ethernet card is not being able to get full band with, alternatively you can also open ur eth port settings and change the speed and duplex settings to 10mbps full duplex this will improve speed but long term resolution will be cabling change , hope you solve your problem

when i did a speedtest on my PC it showed as 4.5mbps upload and 4.00mbps download i guess the cable seems ok , is it ?

i will try to change the port and duplex settings and see if it works thanks :)

K that's a twister , in that case change the port at router/switch end , next try 10mbps full duplex , if still unresolved try uninstalling and reinstalling lan drivers. If still not resolved then you will probably have to call an ojha bcoz ur comp is possessed [emoji38]

K that's a twister , in that case change the port at router/switch end , next try 10mbps full duplex , if still unresolved try uninstalling and reinstalling lan drivers. If still not resolved then you will probably have to call an ojha bcoz ur comp is possessed [emoji38]

ahahahahahah good one manish ... ill keep that in mind

Choose 100mbps full duplex, not 10mbps

ok thanks for helping me ... i really appreciate that :)

10 Mbps will give him most gain if cable is causing an issue, another thing is you might try check out your router might be the wired portion of it is not working proper

Borrow a router from a friend to test or rma your router
If i borrow a router i have to send it to my isp to configure it... i have observed it that when i am downloading a file in general I get the desired speed of 4mbps but when i'm downloading from torrent my speed is restricted to 500kbps ....i have added an exception in firewall as well my port is also open.... what could be the reason

Bro hope you are not getting confused between bit and Bit, your isp line is 4 mbps and utorrent displays in KBPS that is your isp bandwidth divided by 8 , in that case 500 toh sahi hi dikha raha hai [emoji15]

Bro hope you are not getting confused between bit and Bit, your isp line is 4 mbps and utorrent displays in KBPS that is your isp bandwidth divided by 8 , in that case 500 toh sahi hi dikha raha hai [emoji15]
no manish i know what you are trying to say.... but believe me when i download the same torrent on my cell via WIFI i get the actual 4mbps speed....

Things i have tried
1) uninstall and reinstall the latest driver
2) open port and full duplex settings at 100mbps
3) upgraded to windows 10
4) tweeking the utorrent settings
5) changing the port on the router
6) i have two ethernet port on my mobo one is of intel and another is of killer e2200 i tried switching between both.

nothing of the above worked...

i have ordered a CAT6 cable that's the only option i haven't tried yet..

any other solution you guys can suggest ?

Guys i figured out the root cause of it....

My ISP was throttling my internet speed :mad::rage:
i got sooo pissed on him ...:imp: why do they do such stuff..

i have tried all the possible troubleshooting methods...Man i'm so annoyed

Back