Highest paying Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure IT is the only High Paying Job, there are good number of High/Better paying core companies compared to IT. :)

just a point to ponder ;)

archish said:
Are you sure IT is the only High Paying Job, there are good number of High/Better paying core companies compared to IT. :)

just a point to ponder ;)
Please explain sectors

There is nothing like high paying technology as such...

I believe that its the way how you bargain with the HR and present your self during the interview and the company for which you are applying that matters...

I have friends who switched with very handsome salary as compared to there peers with same experience...

MrRIG said:
Please explain sectors
what about govt. sectors?? Income Tax?? CBI?? :p

BTW Professors, SSC etc. can't be left backward.

If you are from Commerce background, then CA, Banking are great options.

MrRIG said:
Please explain sectors
Oilfield services, oil & gas companies, marine and shipbuilding, automobile sector, iron & steel, heavy equipment manufacturing, power plants etc. to name a few. What depends is your experience over your qualification because in each of those sectors I've listed, chances are if you are recruited as a fresher, your payscale is generally in the range of 6~7L CTC. With experience that increases.

Lets see:

@archish - Yes there are. Who can forget Petroleum engineering...effing monopoly business. And buddy never mentioned anything about "IT" being the only one.

@bhaskarvyas001 - Buddy, changing companies is one way but sometimes even a reasonable seems to high for a HR on stringent budget. There are techs like DW (data warehousing) which demand more. Those people get 10-15% average hike twice a year...whereas I am getting a stinky 7% on a niche technology.

@thenvk - 3 yrs Exp for me right now. My expectation doesn't matter here to be discussed in public.

@Others - Please stay on course and talk about IT. No non-IT talk, please.

Normally All ERP (SAP, Oracle Apps, PeopleSoft etc) Domain consulting/Domain technology consulting tend to pay higher than normal domain/technology jobs.

IMO even if you possess deep skills in an otherwise regular tech like say dotnet/java you can bargain for a fair value. I does not have to be some fancy label tech.

PS: By deep I mean seriously deep, the way to prove this would be contribution to respective Tech Forums (e.g. MSDN forum for your tech, SDN for SAP related tech etc), a regular and original blog, contribution to books, contribution to open source projects etc.

These things differentiate you from the masses, there's always need for specially skilled resources even for so called "enabler" technologies (which people think pay less).

just my 2 paisa

Best bet for super high salary CCIE. But damn hard to pass.

Else Mobile Development is on the rise. Lots of jobs. Other than that the standard stuff like SAN, SAP, BI, PMP etc is always in demand and pays are also higher.

@Darthcoder - How did I miss ERP in my list. Evergreen tech. When you say domain specific consulting..let me tell you I have 3 yrs of domain specific tech..a tech which is used in finance sector in a major way. The pay still sucks.

@Sarang - You have put up a very valid point. Even a generic java guy with good projects under his belt is worth the money. Though I am focusing on IT tech wherein even a "averag" learner pays good (Not to mention 25% of industry fakes too :) ).

@Nitant - Another tech I missed to add in my list. Networking. Always been famous. Mobile dev like android os...even the iphone OS is on the rise. Never heard of SAN. Adding to the list ....PMP requires an MBA degree, does it not?

PMP does not require an MBA but requires substantial (5 years) of Project Management experience under your belt.

And if you are working on an ERP on the technical side then try to move to the functional/domain side. And if still your pay sucks then there is something wrong (either with you as you are demanding too much for your level of knowledge or with the company). Alternately, if you are working on a private/company specific product like "Finacle", you **MIGHT** have a hard time selling that experience outside (I may be wrong on this so dont flame me :ashamed:).

sharktale1212 said:
Hmm...FB is a site not a tech...IT industry noob eh? :) Maybe FBML.

Like you care if its a site or new technology. from your post, it seems you only need lot of money. well, Facebook gives "lot of money" if you can manage to get in:p

From what I've heard in IT the best is to be in SAP functional in Big 4 like E&Y,Deloitte,PwC,McKinsey but it demands a lot coz u will almost always be at client sites and so do a lot of travelling.
Other good fields are datawarehousing with tools like Informatica,Cognos reporting or OBIEE+ suite.In datawarehousing it's better if u can get into ETL not into the reporting side coz on reporting side u might have to travel around quite a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back