Hitman 3 PC Price in India Hiked in Excess of 100 Percent With No Warning

pauldmps

Skilled
With the Hitman 3 release date of January 20, 2020 just days away, developer IO Interactive has increased the price of the PC version of the game with no warning. As we noted in our Hitman 3 pre-order guide, it had a Rs. 1,453 price for the Standard Edition on PC. Right now however, the price is Rs. 3,249. The price hike seems to have occurred a day ago with IGN India readers tipping us off about a thread on the Indian Gaming subreddit that first took note of this.

We reached out to IO Interactive for comment and will update this story if we hear from the company.

That said, it’s odd to see a huge price hike for a popular franchise in India like Hitman days before next instalment. While one theorys suggests this may be due to PC gamers in other countries using VPNs to mask their location and buy the game at reduced rates as it has a US price of $60 (close to Rs. 4,387), it’s more likely that IO Interactive went with a higher price to ensure some form of parity with the console versions that start from Rs. 3,499, a move game companies have been fond of in recent years.

Throw in the fact that India isn’t getting a physical release of Hitman 3 on PC in India like it is in other territories and IO Interactive can essentially charge what it wants as there are no competing options.

So what does this mean for you? Well if you want Hitman 3 on PC at a price close to what was initially listed at, you’re better off waiting for a sale or perhaps try your luck with third-party retailers like Green Man Gaming that has it for Rs. 1,427.64 at the moment.

WTF IOI?

Still shows ₹3249 to me. And it has been such from past 24hrs I believe. Anyways, its a good news that they will put the old price back.

I was holding on from pre-purchase because I want to use a Epic sale coupon on it, if they provide one again.

The same thing happened with Horizon Zero Dawn on Epic.

Basically, Epic Games Store has no structure in place for regional pricing. And when they allow their $10 coupons to be used on pre-orders, games that aren't even released yet get devalued. Developers & publishers don't like this. That's why you see increases in price.

On the other hand, look at Steam. Valve actually work with publishers to implement regional pricing. The difference between a dev-friendly company like Valve vs. a company that's only in this business just for the money.

Epic doesn't allow coupons on pre-orders.
Okay. But, I can't wrap my head around the fact this is the second time that this has happened when a pre-order game price increased considerably on Epic.

Last time it happened, Steam's price on Horizon Zero Dawn stayed that same while Epic's increased.

Can't be the publishers this time around.

Back