CPU/Mobo Hmm a Quick Question

KiD0M4N

Skilled
Hello guys,

I might be able to sell my AMD 3000+ Venice and MSI K8N Neo4 Plat-SLI. So are the "alternative" available here and for how much:

- DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D
- Opteron 146
- AMD 3200+ Venice (this time i will try and get a good stepping also.)

Will the Ultra-D do fine with my Transcend Samsung UCCC 3-8-3-3 @ 230 Mhz / 2.75 V.

Please help me decide. If there is a better combination possible, then also suggest that (but budget constraint = 8K + 12K)

Thanks

Karan

Saw a 3200+ Venice 0521 APCW which is a good OC'er here in Chennai last week. But ur problem is that all the good steppings are fast vanishing from the shelves. Whatever u've to do, do it fast !!! And does the UCCC only do 230 ? Does it not do more ?

Id say go for the Opteron.. Hell of an Overclocker :D.
Transcend RAM should be fine. Dont worry.

Get some reviews on Gaming Performance though. All i think it should rock..same Die as FX :).

ne ideas abt the avelebility of opterons? i mean the opteron 146 is around $200 (right?) so its much cheaper than a amd 64 4200+ which is indeed available here.

help.

well 146 is value server processor and hence the pricing. you should not compare it to X2 4200.

And opteron is not available here by the way. So you will have to source it from outside.

will it be worth while to get just the processor from a foreign site? say a opty 146?

also, I am in bit of doubt. I got a SteelPad 5h (a professional headset) worth $125 shipped from Copenhagen, DE and got no customs added to it. So if I order a Venice 3000+ from a foreigh site, will it be the same?

well first find a site that ships here at resonable shipping rates.

The one i came across was www.ewiz.com but you will faint when you see their shipping charges and they only accept the bank transfer and not credit card or paypal.

hey FM.............. whats the MAIN diff between a Opteron 146 and AMD 64 3200+? A higher TDP and TCaseMax (because of it the opty's are greater ocers) ?

Also, which steppings to look forward to in the 3200 ? And how to get them? I am looking to reach atleast 2.8 Ghz.

@ Freaky: U got mail!

well Opterons are supposed to be derived from the SD/FX cores and comes with 1MB L2 cache. Thats the main difference.

Honestly with any stepping its impossible to predict something like ATLEAST 2.8Ghz.

2.8Ghz is simply too much to guarantee even for the likes of SD3700+ or vest steppings of 3000+ and 3200+ out there.

And the steppings flooding the indian market these days are all new week 3x and 4x. And there is no solid database for these cpus as i have told before too.

If you want 2.8Ghz guarantee these days with Athlon then you need to buy FX-55 or FX-57 ;)

Joke aside, seriously even with good stepping it will mostly take a huge luck and damn good cooling, and a mostly some serious vcore through the chip.

^^ Yup, if u want to do 2.8 constant, u'll require something like peltier+watercooling or phase change for sure....

^^ Water Cooling with a Opteron?

Ive heard opterons have come 2.6 Ghz w/o any Effort and increasing temp. much.

2.8 Ghz.. Cant say if it will reach that much. Shudnt 2.6 Ghz be enuf for you? :D... Nauty Boi :D.

lol..i prefer watercooling to any HSF today :p

watercooling makes u uber..allows u to touch 1.65V VCore without any efforts ;) that means u can run at 2.8 const...but that depends on the proccy too

FYI, I have a AXP 2500+, ran it in Prime95 on 2.05V VCore..just 50* max temps...:p thats a 0.4V bump ;)

goldenfrag said:
^^ Water Cooling with a Opteron?
Ive heard opterons have come 2.6 Ghz w/o any Effort and increasing temp. much.
2.8 Ghz.. Cant say if it will reach that much. Shudnt 2.6 Ghz be enuf for you? :D... Nauty Boi :D.
Opteron 146 might reach 2.8, still no guarantee.
He asked which stepping of 3200+ will allow him to reach that much ;)

I dont even run my SD at 2.8Ghz 24x7. Honestly its not needed as of now. And its not worth the pain punishing your CPU that much 24x7.
2.6-2.7Ghz Athlon64 will crack everything easily atleast now. I had ran my 3000+ prime stable right upto 2.92Ghz but still i used to keep it at 2.6-2.7Ghz because it was not worth the extra temperature and vcore that you need to give above 2.6Ghz mark. Processor usually hit 2.5-2.6ghz withmoderate voltages and as you go above that you need to push quiet a lot of volts to it. And thats when it starts to affect the CPU life, heat and stability.
You may be running ultra cool at 2.4-2.5Ghz but as you go more and push more vcore the amount if heat dumped by processor increased tremendously.
I had my 0517 dumping over 140Watts at one point, and mind you it was not easy to control the heat. It too DD TDX to do the job of running above 2.7Ghz 24x7. sure i cracked 3ghz on air. but only for testing.
@kidoman Honestly if you need 2.7Ghz then invest in something like 3700+. That will reach 2.7Ghz most of the times.

Last edited by a moderator:
funkymonkey said:
I had my 0517 dumping over 140Watts at one point, and mind you it was not easy to control the heat. It too DD TDX to do the job of running above 2.7Ghz 24x7. sure i cracked 3ghz on air. but only for testing.

Hmmm...my barton @ 2.05V dumped 146W of heat..even with a TDX, i was touching 50*....

kidoman said:
Hello guys,

I might be able to sell my AMD 3000+ Venice and MSI K8N Neo4 Plat-SLI. So are the "alternative" available here and for how much:

- DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D
- Opteron 146
- AMD 3200+ Venice (this time i will try and get a good stepping also.)
Karan

you have a decent sys......do u really need an upgrade....OK maybe with the 7800GT and the memory your proccy could use some upgradations....

vandal said:
you have a decent sys......do u really need an upgrade....OK maybe with the 7800GT and the memory your proccy could use some upgradations....

Yes I also agree with Vandal that you (Kidoman) only need a Processor Upgrade.

Just get a 3700+, 4000+, X2 3800+, Opteron 146 or a X2 4200+.

Rest of your rig is excellent.

Back