Budget 0-20k home server suggestion:

Raghav_K

Disciple
hello everyone

i just trial ran freenas 8 (successfully!!!!) on my old pc - Intel core 2 quad 6600/ dg33fb motherboard/ 4gb ram / 2 * 1 tb hard disk.

i'm sure that setup is not exactly energy efficient and since i plan to leave it on 24 * 7, i need suggestions on a low power build.

my requirements from the setup would be:

1. file transfer
2. backup
3. access the stored videos (1080p/720p) n songs from my laptop/ android (xbmc) / ipad (jailbroken -xbmc)

my budget is not very high ( around 10k for the components) so im not looking at core i3/i5 solutions.

i have zeroed in on these 3 cpu/ mobo combinations:

amd sempron 145 - ASUS M5A78L mobo

amd athlon II x2 270 - ASUS M5A78L mobo

my query is since there is no transcoding involved when watching videos from the devices i mentioned above, will the above mentioned cpus would be able to handle it???

or would i need something like:

amd a4 5300 - MSI FM2-A55M-E33 motherboard???

also please advise if, these cpu's are power efficient?? I'm also open to intel atom/ amd 350 suggestions.

thanks for your help :=)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: What is your budget?
10 k

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
- selling my current rig -

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
1 7200 rpm seagate sata hard disk
(please mention the rest in above format)

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - intel atom d2550 / amd e350 / sempron 145 / athlon x2 270 / a4 5300
Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
one more 2 tb hard disk

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Chennai
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Download rig, 24x7 operation
file server
backup

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
freeNas

Have you thought about the Pogoplug or some Android stick with an attached USB HDD for this purpose?

I am trying to get the Odroid X2 from a friend in Korea for similar usage. From what I have read, it does run Ubuntu too. I think 24/7 operation would also be fine now that they have introduced a big heatsink on it to counter heat dissipation issues. Maybe some of the experts on the forum can help out with their experiences.

Also do check the networking section for info about the Pogoplug.

Have you thought about the Pogoplug or some Android stick with an attached USB HDD for this purpose?

I am trying to get the Odroid X2 from a friend in Korea for similar usage. From what I have read, it does run Ubuntu too. I think 24/7 operation would also be fine now that they have introduced a big heatsink on it to counter heat dissipation issues. Maybe some of the experts on the forum can help out with their experiences.

Also do check the networking section for info about the Pogoplug.

not sure i'd want to go that way... need some flexibility ,and the stuff needs to be available locally, for servicing/repairs...

I have some experience with FreeNAS. I will give you some general pointers, you decide the rest of hardware
1. RAM: Minimum RAM with Freenas should be 6GB. However if the motherboard/your pocket can do more, then better. i recommend minimum of 8 GB
2. Motherboard should have as many SATA ports as possible for expandibility
3. Get a reliable power supply
4. If the server is going to cater to multiple clients simultaneously, better get your self a good GB switch, a motherboard preferably with a Intel GB Network card because in general, realtek sucks! WIFI is a No no, since it will be hard to find drivers in FreeNAS and data transfer would be much more garunteed in wired connections.
5. If your main mode of file sharing is going to be SAMBA, you should get processors with higher clock speed rather than more cores, since SMB shares are processor clock dependent
6. any 5400 rpm hard disk would do, since you are bound by your network and not by the hard disk speed

Back