Audio Home Theater for <40k

hey all, need a home theater setup, only a 5.1 (or more) setup with a reciever.
I'd been to bose and ruled out that option not coz of budget, but based on quality..
then an Onkyo store.. the subs were not upto the mark.. then last visit was to a sony store, and checked out the bundled 6.2 setup with a hdmi capable reciever.... the total rms rating at a high 1510W.. sounded very close to a cinema theater, both music and movies sounded great.. the movie demo was Stealth(the intro scene).. If anyone else has tried it out, please comment on this..
Sony India : HT-DDW1600/Bundle (HTDDW1600/Bundle) : Details
and also wat other options can i look for? no floor standers for rear speakers.. no space in room, only front can be floor standers!! i've got 2 weeks to decide..
thanks!:cool2:

THD is total harmonic distortion. A figure of 10% means average noise amplitude is 10% of signal amplitude which basically means its something our ears can't stand. Most good stereo amps are rated at 0.02% distortion, both channels driven.

The best option for you probably is a Pioneer/Yamaha amp and wharfedale Moviestar 70+. This is strictly an HT setup. No fun listening to music on it.

You won't be getting any 5.1 system that reproduces stereo faithfully in 40k. Absolutely no chance :p. You have to decide what you really want.... sacrifice music performance and get 5.1 speakers or sacrifice 5.1 channels for good music performance.

damn, guess i'll stick to surround sound.. and where can i test a wharfedale Moviestar 70+, n is it possible you know what it is priced at approximately? :O

and which amp should i look for specifically?

and you strictly say no to that sony setup? pleaseee check it out sometime if possible! ty

PM gmano to find out where to get wharfs. I think he bought a pair recently. It should be around 27k or so. Sony amps are passable but Sony speakers are absolute crap unless you mod the hell outta them.

even i thought sony systems suck bigtime, but this one was way different.. pls check it out! if you have spare time that is.. =)

just got off call with the wharfedale dealer in bangalore, will be goin there for a demo, will update asap..

just got back after checkin out the wharfedale and another company called "tangent".. the tangent was way better and a bit more expensive.. the main problem now is there's no way a moviestar 70+(dealer quoted 31k) and a reciever will fit in 40k.. and hdmi recievers start at 30~k is what the wharfedale dealer told me.. also checked out sonodyne's genie setup with sonodyne amp, was pretty good but again at 50~k...

the sony setup comes with a hdmi reciever and 2 subs.. pls help!

Do you really need an HDMI capable receiver? If this dealer you are talking about is Decibels, he'd quoted me 28k for moviestar last year. Not really sure why his prices went northwards. Since you heard them all, how does the sony compare to these?

well i have heard that sony its a good value for money cosidering its a 6.2channel and with HDMI switching.its definetly sounds better than my gigaworks S750 in BASS department which is THX certified costs 32000.
the sony withs its floorstanding speakers along with horn tweeters is realy worth it.

Guys, Please give details of Models from Sony, Phillips, Altac Lansing or Logitech

Systems mentioned here is way too costly :(

sony was not far behind on quality, and max output is higher than all 3.. main thing i'm looking for is the bundle.. the tangent was awesome, much better than wharfedales.. problem is it costs 40k only for the 5.1 and the moviestar costs 31.5(maybe 30k after bargaining).. so adding a decent reciever with 5.1 would need atleast another 18k.. way over budget.. still confused, any other options i can look at??

btw, i'd been to vector systems on brigade road..

why do u guys want to invest in 5.1 ch recievers we know that HD audios like DDTH and DTS MA are 7.1 channel.so even if the reciever doesnt have a HD decoding u can still buy latter a BL-ray or HD-DVD player that has analog out with built in HD decoding.

Try the Philips HTS9800W, 6.1ch sound, wireless rear speakers, SACD playback and HDMI video out ~ 50k.

And for one this does sound damn good.

Other option is the Moviestar 70+ with a Denon 1507 (~21k), plus you'll need a DVD player.

Try the Philips, I've heard it and its surprisingly better than the Sony and likes, bass is very well reproduced and comes close to a traditional package like the Moviestar.

And don't get fooled by the wireless rears, they work charmingly well, best of luck! :D

HTS9800W/55 - DVD/SACD Home Theater System - Players and recorders - Recorders, DVD and home theater - Philips

Udit said:
@Anish, he has said <40 but you are suggesting >50 :S
I know that, but such systems are a one time investment and I'm pointing options as to why it would be worth stretching the extra 10k ;)

^The Onkyo SR605 amp is available in Bombay now.. 36K official, 29K grey. Awesome amp.. does DTS Master-HD and Dolby TrueHD over HDMI!

Back