Car & Bike Honda Aviator or TVS Wego?

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
I will be buying a gearless scooter next month. It will be predominantly used by my wife, although my dad and I will also take it out quite frequently. I don't expect monthly travel exceed more than 250 kms. Would either the Aviator DLX or the Wego suit my needs? Ride comfort would be the first priority. Good mileage and trouble free maintenance are also important. Please suggest the better option of the two. I'm not interested in the Activa or Pleasure or Access.

Having tested the Wego, can confirm that the ride quality is brilliant. The SA specifically asked me to take it to pothole filled roads to test the ride with pillion, and it was really good.

Don't know about Aviator, but Wego has both 12" wheels and good suspension setup in front as well as rear. The body balance thingy also seems to work, the weight seemed well balanced towards the center.

Mileage will be similar for both but can't say about maintenance as Wego is only about a year old now. Also consider that Aviator has a little taller seating compared to other scooters AFAIK, so might be a problem for shorter people.

Great.. IN general, I've been reading only positive reviews about the Wego thus far. Somewhere it was mentioned that it had cold start problems though. Can you confirm if it exists? If yes, is it severe enough to be a deal breaker?
I've also read that the cold start problem is pretty much a standard 'feature' of these gearless scooters. Any thoughts anyone? This will be the first gearless in the family (if you don't count bicycles and TVS mopeds :p), so I'm at a loss here.

logistopath said:
I've also read that the cold start problem is pretty much a standard 'feature' of these gearless scooters.

The cold start 'feature' existed in my Mahindra Rodeo too, but it was repaired. But in cold weather I suppose you have to use pull out the 'clutch' and then there should not be trouble in getting scooter started. But haven't seen it in other scooters like Activa, Aviator in the neighbourhood. Wego seems to be a good scooter, and possibly I would have gone for it if I were to buy it.

Last year i've bought it for my wife and so far only 1400 Kms(in 10 months) have been driven. Only negative point for me is mileage is not good:( It's averaging around 35 :( Huge waiting period of activa forced me to buy wego :)

in home we have a honda aviator. it is bit taller . it has more storage space. i think new avaitor has more cc engine.

@dennis: I read about your experience in the other thread. I will have to find out more about this particular problem. I remember the TVS mopeds having this problem much before they introduced the kickstart variant.

@smnrock: 35 kmpl sounds a little too low. Did you complain to the service centre about the mileage? What was their response?

@bsd: Yeah.. I noticed the difference in height and boot space. Engine is almost similar IINW. I think the Wego has a 109cc engine while the Aviator is 110cc.

^they tested it and told, we are getting 45 :( and still we did some tuning, bla bla... But i couldnt find any improvements and also our usage is very less, so didnt bother much :)

^^ Ok... :)
The more I keep reading about these scooters, the more I am inclined towards getting a Wego. Practically no waiting period for the Wego, is the icing on the cake. I will enquire about the Aviator and it's waiting periods before making a decision. :)

Some few days back i was filling up petrol in my bike and saw one lady filling up petrol in her wego scooty... When she started the scooty i really didn't like the engine sound... After just hearing the sound i understood that wego does not have engine as smooth as Aviator's or Activa's engine... Plus Honda bikes are maintainence free bikes... So after buying any Honda scooty you would spend less time on garage repairing your scooty... I know its frustrating to see that most Honda bikes & scooties have waiting period... But if you can wait then i would advice you to buy Honda Activa which doesn't have taller seating and which is best selling Honda scooty or go with Aviator...

@Hades: On the contrary, I've been hearing only good things about the Wego engine. It's supposed to be butter smooth, with practically no noise at all. On the other hand, though the Honda engines are good and reliable, the other cons very much outweigh this advantage. From what I've seen, Activa waiting period can extend to as much as 5 or 6 months, and the Aviator for around 3 to 4 months. That's the biggest put-off. The second con is what I've been hearing about the availability of spares. I've been reading about people having to wait for as much as 3 months for genuine spares. I know that a new vehicle should hardly need these, but you can never say.
All said, today I will enquire a few dealers in my area about the on road pricing and waiting periods for these scooters. Will try and go for a test ride some time next week too. As such, I don't think I can go wrong with these two options. Let us see..

better get access i hv got it in 3days

having bike like pickup 0-60 in almost 6 sec.

and who says activa and aviator having 6 monts waiting period

i live in delhi they told me 1month max. and my neighbour got it under 1 week.

i too planned to buy aviator..u can see my thread

i would say just go for aviator b/w wego and aviator

otherwise hands down for access...

Ok.. Called up a TVS and a Honda dealer in Erode and visited a TVS and a Honda dealer in Pondicherry.

Aviator has a waiting period of around 3 months in both places (greater than 3 months if I'm looking for the Deluxe version), for most colours, except probably Purple, which can be delivered in 3 weeks. (We are looking for the Red Aviator though).

TVS Wego is available instantly. No waiting periods. Also, the ORP for Wego comes to around 4.5k lesser than the Aviator.

@nick2012: My brother had booked an Access in July end. He is yet to receive delivery of the bike. Dealer says at least a month or more before delivery. So, a big no-no to Access ('coz my brother will have it :p , and 'coz it has a long waiting period).

I'm just trying to see if I can get a Red Aviator delivered in less than a month. Else, it will be a Wego after all.

@logistopath

try access 125 also - tried it yesterday and the pick up is very smooth, its very lighter as compared to active and the only thing which i disliked it was engine sound - though it can be the fault of my friend's scooter also :)

my friend has a aviator...

its fun riding it and also looks a lot better than wego....

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

I say get the Aviator with the front Disc Brake,
It has legendary honda reliablity and well it has the same 110cc Engine of the activa.
It's Nice Bike, I did not like the wego for some reason, maybe because it's made by TVS the makers of the scooty.
But Honda is Honda, and they are the best imo

Okay.. Surprisingly, today I got a call saying that the Aviator I had booked would be ready for delivery within a week (I had booked it hardly a month ago & was told that I'd have to wait around 3 months). :)

What are the things I should look for before taking the delivery? Any pointers..?

Back