How are Samsung Laptops?

shaunak

Adept
I am in the market for a very low cost laptop. My basic requirements are:
- Presentation - must have a VGA port (and be able to run powerpoint/Impress :p)
- Programming - Comfortable keyboard and 2+ USB ports (for interfacing with hardware) [A serial port would be swell but I dont think I would find a current generation notebook with them]
- A bit of image editing/transfer from my Camera
- Portable - 14" screen
- Must have a webcam
Initially I was considering a Netbook since my needs are pretty rudimentary. But prices for high end net-books and low-end laptops converge. And an optical drive is a really necessary device for me.

I found this samsung model for 24K - Samsung R430 - http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?...tegory_id=389&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
- I would appreciate your opinions on it. How is Samsung's build quality? How is the customer support?

I am also open to any other suggestions upto a budget to 30k -ish. [Cheaper the better :D]

Also found this - http://www.flipkart.com/computers/laptops/samsung/series-np-rv508-a01in-comcv7nckyg6xzgw

Hi,

The Dell series suggested above seems like a good fit. Also check out Lenovo B Series or G Series.

Is it that you have fixed a targeted date by which you will have to have a laptop ? If not, you can wait for a few days because all brands are launching the new series of Intel Processors and with that, may be the cost of the existing ones with earlier versions of Processors may go down a little. Not sure on that, may be others in the forum could give you a clearer picture on this.

I too was out to buy a laptop a few months ago dude and around the same budget as you had. What I did was, waited and saved some money and that helped me increase by budget to a considerable amount. May be you could try that. But if you have to have a laptop at the earliest, then yeah, the Dell option seems fine. Like I said, try the Lenovo G Series and B Series as well....

I am currently using Samsung R440 and works very well with no issues with Hardware ..

but the battery is just 6 cells hence with high CPU usage it does not last long...can expect around 2 to 2.5 Hrs.

pritesh said:
Hi,
The Dell series suggested above seems like a good fit. Also check out Lenovo B Series or G Series.

Is it that you have fixed a targeted date by which you will have to have a laptop ? If not, you can wait for a few days because all brands are launching the new series of Intel Processors and with that, may be the cost of the existing ones with earlier versions of Processors may go down a little. Not sure on that, may be others in the forum could give you a clearer picture on this.

I too was out to buy a laptop a few months ago dude and around the same budget as you had. What I did was, waited and saved some money and that helped me increase by budget to a considerable amount. May be you could try that. But if you have to have a laptop at the earliest, then yeah, the Dell option seems fine. Like I said, try the Lenovo G Series and B Series as well....
Sandy Bridge?

Sure. I can wait till mid July easily [Need it for next sem. May be 'leaving home' ;) ] . I think I will do just that.

I could then consider a decent Dell.

Thanks for the sound advice.

Back