PC Peripherals How are your thoughts on these parts...

Switch

Skilled
I am setting up a new rig. Eveything else has been finilased except for these small details Help me decide on the following.

RAM I know DDR 400 MHz with low latencies but which good ones are available here in India and for how how much.

HDD I am think of buying a 160/200 Gigger sata as i already have 80 + 160 Gig in my primary PC but both are IDE. Again i kow seagate for the brand but what are the current market prices for the same.

DVD ROM/ Writer I am actually thinking about skipping this one as i already have an DVD ROM in my primary PC but i beleive a DVD writer is a MUST these days. I am just waiting for prices to fall down a little so that it hurts a little less on the pocket but still if the prices are good than i would consider buying one. Again i need which brand to get and approximate price.

Speakers. This is one thing which i am totally confused about as i know once i buy them they are hard to replace or upgrade. I need an honest advise. I do liten to music. I play a lot of games and i need a good surround setup. I have decided on two choices. ATP3 or 251's. 2.1 and 5.1 setup respectively. I cant get a demo of the 251,s here neither i ave ever heard them play but i can get both at virtually the same prices here in Delhi. So guys which ones. Also Creative Inspire crossed my mind but i already own a 4.1 i.e FPS 1500 so wanna try something else this time. Suggest me something good around 5-6 K.

Keyboard Mouse Combo. I am in a fix what to get me here. I am thinking about a wireless combo but then again i have read that there are latency problems with wireless. I am considering about Wired keyboad and an wireless mouse. Now this is where you guys come in. Suggest me a good combo.

I have as such no major budget problems but i do want a thing with a good Price : Performance ratio. I would not just go and by something which is twice as expensive than the normal with a little performance improvement. And yes all this would go in a gaming setup. Its an ATHLON 64 config.

Thanks

Hey switch,seagate 160gb is for 4.5k and samsung is for 4.7k..dont kno about hitachi or WD....btw,try if u can get ur hands on a hitachi..its better than seagate...

Talkin of speakers,ATP3 is gr8 for music but wont do u any good if u r lookin for a gr8 surround sound experience when u blast those baddies in games....so i guess, 251 shud be a better choice here as it performs well in both the scenarios...n the best part is if u r gettin both for almost the same price,go for 5.1...afterall size does matter...!! BTW,how much did ur dealer quote the price for both the sp.systems?

Hey i forgot,why dont u go for the logitech z640??I think its the best bang for ur buck.. cos the speakers perform brilliantly....i once heard it at a demo here in pune.. tellin u,i didnt turn on my punitive Artis S880 5.1 for the nex 2 days.. :)

get the Geil PC3200 256x2 RAMs here from deejay :D

i have bought my mobo+processore from him, he's a nice guy to deal with :)

as for the speakers, if high volumes are allowed, go for the 251, if low volume is preferred, get the ATP3 :D i got myself an ATP3, as high volumes are a big no-no in our house.....

Well i already got the RAM Sticks and the HDD

RAM 512 x 2 @ DDR 400 Transcend 2.5 for 3800 each
HDD Seagate 160 Gig SATA for 4525

I prefer low volumes... But i think i would be going in for 5.1 as i love to watch DVD's on my PC... Also i saw a Microsoft Desktop Elite Optical Wireless Combo... It retails for around 4.2K but as the one i saw was OEM so i ws getting it for 2.7K... How about that...

I know and that is why i am so much tempted to buy one of those OEM packs...

Anyways the Creative 5.1 are for Rs 3800 but as i said earlier i already own a creative FPS 1500 so wan to try something different... How much are the logitech z640's for...

I say this thing again, if you are planning to play games go with logitech elite + logitech MX310, you will thank me for suggesting this later :p

Logitech z640 is pure gaming speakers. They are ment to be gaming speakers.
If you can find em then go for that only.
There is also 1 more option. Custome make.
I am getting custom setup made for myself including an amplifier.
This kicks any setup out there including logitect z640. And you get bosche quality speakers at fraction of the cost if you know right people to get the work done.
Once my setup is complete I will post it here. Anyone in mumbai is free to come and see the performance of these on weekends :D
I saw the demo, i requested that person to bring them to my house and let me test it with the games. And it sounded soo sweet. No distortion what so ever. NFSU2, HL2, GTR, POPSOT were totally different experience.
Switch, if you know some people in Noida which do such thing then ask for demo. These speakers dosent cost earth, half the price of high end creative(Not inspire) and Philips series.

yep sure.
The cost varied accourding to what you want to put there.
Without external AMP, the cost is around 4-6K depending on the speakers, size of woofer etc. With amplifier the cost goes to around 6.5-8.5K depending on the brand of amplifier you choose.
All wooden. :D
Yeah its bigger investment than Creativd inspire 5500 but damn it will leave them to dust 4 sure.. They sounded almost as good as THX speakers that i saw on Bose showroom in Inorbit which was priced whopping 90K :p.
I will definitely post the pics once done but it will take some time as i am yet to decide final amplifier, size of woofer etc.

Well if it is thye wooden enclosure thats making the cost high then i might be lucky as i can make one at my place but do tell me what all stuff are you putting in there. I mean which seakers and what amp are you using. I was thinking about buying a woodstock amp and JBL speakers but if yours turns out to be cheaper than i would go for that. I know woodstock is cheap but hey its gets the job done fine.

yep woodstock does the job nicely.
And yeah its the wooden enclosure that increases the cost as it involves worksmanship.
I will forword you which speaker components he is gona use and the design in your mail when I finalise it.

Back