How do I move my PC from Delhi To Mumbai

nanoneo

Adept
Ok, so I had to make a quick move from Delhi to Mumbai. Been around a month now.I was living the typical bachelore life and the apartment I was living in was already furnished. So I had disposed/gave away everything that I couldn't carry with me. Everything except my PC.

I had very little time on my hands so I moved my PC to my friends house in Noida. I thought I'd find a way to move it from Noida to Mumbai once I got here. But seriously, I am stuck. I tried calling some packers/movers but no one was ready to only take the PC. Additionally, the move has left me with very litlle money so I can't afford to spend too much money moving it here.

I was hoping some TE member would have a better idea on how to move it here. For the record, this is what I need to move from there:
  • Cabinet with all components inside
  • 21 inch LCD monitor
  • An APC 650 VA UPS (heavy as hell)
  • [Optionally] My Philips Micro Music System

First of all bring your cabinet & monitor with yourself from delhi to Noida..
During your 2nd visit you can bring your music system or ups or both.

My bro shipped his by GATI long ago when he was moving out, everything came in one piece expect, UPS power cord was broken. But mind you it was CRT monitor.

Here is what I suggest, take out the HDD and carry it with you. Also if you don't have LCD monitor original box, carry that too, because its too fragile for Indian couriers, unless of course you go for Blue Dart, which will cost you fortune.

Rest everything is safe to ship provided they are packed nicely.

just an idea : is it possible to carry in large suitcases ( with utmost careful packing of course )

can we remove drives, cards, .... mother board from the CPU box ; carry them ; re-assemble in a new box ?

Pack in cabinet original packaging with thermocol. Same with monitor .Protect both of them with added support of cardboard + thermocol / wooden packaging.Put in all this stuff in one big wooden box or something and get it shipped via surface courier or those private buses.

Main thing is protecting the stuff from damage during the transport and its the most risky part as well. Packaging needs to be bullet proof ..err pot-hole proof .Everything needs to be cushioned well and shouldn't move at all inside the box .Its better to separate some parts inside cabinet like graphic card,HDD and pack separately.

i just carried mine along in the flight , monitor 20 " in the backpack too , which was the checkin luggage , the motherboard and the rest in boxes packed in between clothes , the cabinet was then filled up with other luggage and boxed that also , no problem

Pakistan-Computers.jpg

;)

nanoneo said:
  • Cabinet with all components inside - Remove the tower heatsink if any, hard drives and ship the enclosure after packing it inside the original packaging (with some additional thermocol/polysterene sheets) by road through DTDC or Gati.
  • 21 inch LCD monitor - ship it by road through DTDC or Gati after packing it inside the original packaging.
  • An APC 650 VA UPS (heavy as hell) - sell it and get a new one. Shipping a UPS will kill the deal. Or alternately carry it with you in case you decide to go to Delhi again.
  • [Optionally] My Philips Micro Music System - Carry it with you if you decide to visit Delhi

Pay a visit to Delhi over the weekend and get this done. :p

Or alternately ask a friend to help.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Mumbai doesn't seem to have any power cuts anyway so I guess I can leave the UPS for now. Going to delhi anytime soon will be difficult, but I will try going there in a few months and getting the UPS and music system myself.

That leaves me with the cabinet and the monitor. I have the original packaging for both. I will try getting this through GATI. From all your comments it seems like the components are not safe inside. Should I get insurance? My friend is technologically challenged but I will try walking her through the removal of the hard disk and the GFX card. I don't think the heatsink should be a problem as it is a stock piece.

vivacious_tg said:
First of all bring your cabinet & monitor with yourself from delhi to Noida..

During your 2nd visit you can bring your music system or ups or both.
This is what I usually do. I'd bought a large strolley bag in which I put the cabinet, ups and keyboard and then pack t-shirts and such in between them; since I don't use the boxes they came in that reduces a lot of bulk. The monitor I lug around in the box it came in since it has a very convenient handle. My mx5021, I carry in one of those big shopper bags; this makes the biggest difference as otherwise the shape of the box it comes in makes it really difficult to lug around; I usually take the speakers later as the total weight and number of bags does become a bit unmanageable with all of them together.

I've shifted the PC 7 times in this way over train/bus and as of yet none of the components have been damaged.

nanoneo said:
My friend is technologically challenged but I will try walking her through the removal of the hard disk and the GFX card. I don't think the heatsink should be a problem as it is a stock piece.
ROTFL....

You must get it insured and make sure when they deliver the packages you are there to receive them. Make sure to open the packages in front of the guy (Offer him a glass of Cold Drink and some snacks ;) )

Hope it doesnt happen but by doing this you will ensure that the courier guy is there to acknowledge any damage and you can claim your insurance trouble free

^^good point....would suggest to remove all components from cabinet and repack in original/suitable packing. Or if u cannot remove all do remove the heavier components like hdd, heatsinks.

M also moving mine to bangalore.:(

couriered mx5021 turned out to be 12.3kg :O thru DTDC surface 585/- :(

lcd m carrying in a trolley bag and in my backpack other components like hdd, discs, psu etc. and involve extra hassle my ticket is also not confirmed :hurray:

Hi Ppl,

Lots of good replies here

This is what I would do :

Take out SMPS, HDD, RAM, Gfx Card, Motherboard-->Wrapped in bubble plastic-->Wrapped in clothes-->Suitcase

LCD Monitor ---> Original Box Pack -----> Trolley Bag

Speakers ----> For a second trip

UPS ----> Packed -----> Tucked inside seat

Most important : Buy a Second AC Ticket : God lots of space : If you take an extra ticket - You can move some more things

Buy a new box and repack the parts in

Back