How do you find games to play

gourav

Skilled
I got a gaming PC some 6 months ago. I had never before owned a gaming PC and had only played a few games at about the lowest settings. So I was really excited and had shortlisted so many games I wanted to play. Had even bought a few on Steam over time during sales.

However, since getting the PC, I've found out very difficult to get into a lot of the popular games. I started playing Elden ring and realised it was too difficult for a beginner. Started playing Cyberpunk 2077 and found that I was no good at first person games. Since then I've tried other first person games (Outer worlds, dishonored, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, etc.) and I just can't play in that view. Not to mention I prefer playing on my TV sitting on the sofa, so I use a controller and aiming with a controller is really difficult.

I got a subscription to Game Pass and tried Jedi Fallen Order. The combat was boring and I had no idea what I was doing. I was just running around and there was literally no objective on the map. Played for some 4 hours. Death stranding was also similar. Lots going on in the story, but when I did get to play for a few minutes between hours of movies, all I did was run around.

The only games I've liked so far are Plague Tale (both), Horizon Zero Dawn, and Spiderman Remastered for PC.

It's been a month since I finished Plague Tale Requiem and still haven't managed to get into any new game. I'm starting to wonder if gaming is just not for me and I should look for something else to engage myself with in my free time.

Try different types of games, of different genres. I think games like Elden ring, dishonored, Kingdom Come: Deliverance are more on the harder side, in terms of gameplay.
You can try Assassin's creed games, or racing games like Forza or NFS.
Age of Empires 2 and GTA 5 are few of my fav games, so try them out if you like. :smile:

What you need is DOOOOOOOM...!!! . It's a phase... I was going through similar situation.... Whatever I played... just boring.

Then I played DOOOOOM..!!! Trust Me... Although it's FPS ... you surely are gonna like it.
Also.. Try DAYS GONE.

And about finding Games..... ONE WORD " GAMERANX ".

I think you should start with simple games first.

Try out platformers like psychonauts series, shovel knight, hollow night, ori, uncharted series, god of war 2018 on the PC.

The games you have stated are generally huge with a deep learning curve.

I think you should start your journey with simple, linear, story driven titles.

And yes, do try arcade racing games as well. Games like Cruis n Blast.

I, too, am not a fan of first-person games. Far Cry 3 was the only one I finished completely. I tried other titles in this genre, but nothing enthralled me as much as Far Cry 3.

Third-person story-based games such as Assassin's Creed (especially III and Unity), Tomb Raider (the recent three), Mafia, Resident Evil, and the pre-PS4 God of War series were my personal favourites, though I haven't finished all of them.

And yes, there are a lot of great titles out there that I've yet to try, but I do not see myself getting into first person games.

why is there no god of war in that list, trust me you will get hooked like no other :hearteyes:
Going to play God of War. It's just too expensive for me right now. Though, I can get it for ~1500 on Epic right now. Wondering if I should just go for it as I'm not going to find it cheaper any time soon.
Try different types of games, of different genres. I think games like Elden ring, dishonored, Kingdom Come: Deliverance are more on the harder side, in terms of gameplay.
You can try Assassin's creed games, or racing games like Forza or NFS.
Age of Empires 2 and GTA 5 are few of my fav games, so try them out if you like. :smile:
Currently playing Assassin's Creed origins. Seems good so far (~6 hours). GTA 5 is on my wishlist.

I think you should start with simple games first.

Try out platformers like psychonauts series, shovel knight, hollow night, ori, uncharted series, god of war 2018 on the PC.

The games you have stated are generally huge with a deep learning curve.

I think you should start your journey with simple, linear, story driven titles.

And yes, do try arcade racing games as well. Games like Cruis n Blast.
Thanks. Uncharted and God of War are definitely on my wishlist. I've played 2D platformers before because they ran fine on my Ryzen laptop as well.

Anyone here a fan of Skyrim?

Going to play God of War. It's just too expensive for me right now. Though, I can get it for ~1500 on Epic right now. Wondering if I should just go for it as I'm not going to find it cheaper any time soon.
the only game i ever purchased GOW, sniper elite 4. gow is worth every penny, i can't stress this enough. the graphics is other wordly on at 4k 120fps with every setting at max :hearteyes:
@gourav on epic games its 1950. where did u see 1500?

Last edited:
Start small with older titles of these famous games to learn the movements, keys and be comfortable with them. What you need are games which are more "forgiving" towards the player and give them time to react to situations, learn them and adapt.

Don't play souls-like games just yet. I can only imagine someone start gaming with souls-like games and their confidence and morale shattering. I suggest not trying any of such famous difficult games unless you have a LOT of patience and determination to beat it. It could take you hours/days/weeks to get past certain fights etc.
They are designed in a way to make you repeat the fights 100s of times to make you learn patterns of enemies by heart and then dodge and deflect their moves to beat them. You just can't do that in a few runs let slone first run.

You could also try playing indie games as suggested by @Silverhand to build your muscle memory and adapt your playstyle and be comfortable with mouse movements etc.

I got a gaming PC some 6 months ago. I had never before owned a gaming PC and had only played a few games at about the lowest settings. So I was really excited and had shortlisted so many games I wanted to play. Had even bought a few on Steam over time during sales.

However, since getting the PC, I've found out very difficult to get into a lot of the popular games. I started playing Elden ring and realised it was too difficult for a beginner. Started playing Cyberpunk 2077 and found that I was no good at first person games. Since then I've tried other first person games (Outer worlds, dishonored, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, etc.) and I just can't play in that view. Not to mention I prefer playing on my TV sitting on the sofa, so I use a controller and aiming with a controller is really difficult.

I got a subscription to Game Pass and tried Jedi Fallen Order. The combat was boring and I had no idea what I was doing. I was just running around and there was literally no objective on the map. Played for some 4 hours. Death stranding was also similar. Lots going on in the story, but when I did get to play for a few minutes between hours of movies, all I did was run around.

The only games I've liked so far are Plague Tale (both), Horizon Zero Dawn, and Spiderman Remastered for PC.

It's been a month since I finished Plague Tale Requiem and still haven't managed to get into any new game. I'm starting to wonder if gaming is just not for me and I should look for something else to engage myself with in my free time.
So you effectively like 3rd person action games with a good storyline - and having a waypoint is a must have for you - right?
That's pretty much my genre too although I am ok with FPSs as well. And yeah, like you, I simply cannot / will not play games without a wayfinder/waypoint marker :happy:

There are plenty of good options in that genre.
The last of us and Mass effect are the first ones that comes to mind - although most web reviews will recommend ME2, i would say start with Mass effect andromeda instead since it wont feel dated for a new player in 2022.

Since you have game pass, Guardians of the galaxy is another very good story driven option.

On a side note, HZD, HFW , TLOU and TLOU 2 are my all time fav games from said genre . TLOU should be out on PC soon (hopefully) and you should have it on your must-play list

So you effectively like 3rd person action games with a good storyline - and having a waypoint is a must have for you - right?
That's pretty much my genre too although I am ok with FPSs as well. And yeah, like you, I simply cannot / will not play games without a wayfinder/waypoint marker :happy:

There are plenty of good options in that genre.
The last of us and Mass effect are the first ones that comes to mind - although most web reviews will recommend ME2, i would say start with Mass effect andromeda instead since it wont feel dated for a new player in 2022.

Since you have game pass, Guardians of the galaxy is another very good story driven option.

On a side note, HZD, HFW , TLOU and TLOU 2 are my all time fav games from said genre . TLOU should be out on PC soon (hopefully) and you should have it on your must-play list
I also like such games only. Mostly linear storyline (without forced exploration of open world) with good story. I liked Tomb Raider (2013) a lot. Uncharted too.

Most games that come to my mind are already listed in this thread.

I have strictly stopped playing multiplayer because it is opposite of relaxing. I get very little time to game, I want to relax in that time instead of raging online. Uncharted 1 felt kinda relaxing to me, just hop on the sofa with the controller. You can try emulating it on PC (RPCS3, don't know about legality of it though). Uncharted 4 has been released on the PC and is available on Steam for purchase.

Also, you can try Fall Guys, it is a fun mindless game where you can just switch off your mind and play it.

TLOU should be out on PC soon (hopefully)
It's already listed on steam, so it's confirmed. Will definitely play it soon after release.

Very well assessed.

on epic games its 1950. where did u see 1500
Epic is giving a 25% off coupon. I can use that to get it for 1500. The price is about 1950, yes

Back