How do you guys ship your equipment?

mcfly

Disciple
I have used DTDC twice for shipping laptops while working from home and they cost around 3-4k. Excluding insurance, maybe 2k.
I once shipped some books and that cost me around 500 Rs.

Is there any cheaper alternative to shipping tech equipment so that they don’t get damaged?
And what would be a good courier service provider to stick to for this case?

shiprocket is the most economical option. Within which i find delhivery as the most cost effective option for heavy/bulky items. But do keep in mind that for a standard user, the max settlement in case of transit loss is capped at 5000rs.

That's costly, I use DTDC lite and recently for a 4kg shipment it only cost me 400 for Chennai to Mumbai. Even for shipments Weighing 9kgs it was under 1k only. As others stated you can use delhivery direct, they're way cheaper.

I used to use DTDC exclusively, from 2012 to 2016/17. Their charges were fine then. Mostly shipped mobiles and other PC peripherals as an E seller. Charges were mostly between 200-350 rupees for these lightweight items. But after 2017 they started asking 500 rs. for mobile shipments. Constantly kept saying cannot use Surface Lite for mobile, must use something else (don't remember their different terms) which is expensive. Then found Indian Postal Service and never looked back. I mean post office is a comical place itself, but their costs are absurdly low. If I use Parcel mode, then the cost is so low it shocks me. For ex: Shipped a bloody APC UPS to someone two years ago, don't remember the weight but only that on my way to PO I was like FFS why did I decide to sell this shite, and they took 250 rs. for that, from KOL to someone in Pune or some such place. For mobiles / other products under 500 gms weight, it will be like 80-100 rs via Speed Post and like 40-50 rs via Parcel. LMAO. They are slow though, like 5-6 working days always, with Speed Post. But in my place Delhivery takes around 7-8 days to deliver something and they charge twice to thrice than Indian Post.

That's costly, I use DTDC lite and recently for a 4kg shipment it only cost me 400 for Chennai to Mumbai. Even for shipments Weighing 9kgs it was under 1k only. As others stated you can use delhivery direct, they're way cheaper.
try sending any shipment to NE States and DTDC will cost you bomb.

try sending any shipment to NE States and DTDC will cost you bomb.
I have shipped to meghalaya last December but with Bluedart, it was a GPU shipment weighing 3-4kgs and it cost me 700rs. From my experience DTDC lite is cheaper than Bluedart.
Recently shipped a 1kg parcel, mobile box size with dtdc lite to Assam and it cost me 140rs.

I used to use DTDC exclusively, from 2012 to 2016/17. Their charges were fine then. Mostly shipped mobiles and other PC peripherals as an E seller. Charges were mostly between 200-350 rupees for these lightweight items. But after 2017 they started asking 500 rs. for mobile shipments. Constantly kept saying cannot use Surface Lite for mobile, must use something else (don't remember their different terms) which is expensive. Then found Indian Postal Service and never looked back. I mean post office is a comical place itself, but their costs are absurdly low. If I use Parcel mode, then the cost is so low it shocks me. For ex: Shipped a bloody APC UPS to someone two years ago, don't remember the weight but only that on my way to PO I was like FFS why did I decide to sell this shite, and they took 250 rs. for that, from KOL to someone in Pune or some such place. For mobiles / other products under 500 gms weight, it will be like 80-100 rs via Speed Post and like 40-50 rs via Parcel. LMAO. They are slow though, like 5-6 working days always, with Speed Post. But in my place Delhivery takes around 7-8 days to deliver something and they charge twice to thrice than Indian Post.
I have read good things about this. Will definitely try. Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Just to summarise for anyone else reading this:

1. Indian Postal Service
2. Delhivery direct
3. DTDC lite

I have used DTDC twice for shipping laptops while working from home and they cost around 3-4k. Excluding insurance, maybe 2k.
I once shipped some books and that cost me around 500 Rs.

Is there any cheaper alternative to shipping tech equipment so that they don’t get damaged?
And what would be a good courier service provider to stick to for this case?
Pack your stuff well with loads of bubble wrap and within boxes in which the item remains snug.

Delhivery is good these days..
Dtdc isn't bad either..
You can also try shiprocket, they are a shipping aggtegator though the prices are ok but their service and c care is pathetic, kinna hit and miss really.

I would always trust bluedart provided you can fool them while shipping [emoji6] like declaring a phone as a scientific calculator Nd packing it well before the executive comes to pickup... They charge like 350 to 450 for a next day or 2 day air delivery, they are the best in the game as far as my experience goes. Always book a shipment to be picked up from your place as whenevr you ll go to drop out with them, they ll ask you to open it

Selling my old electronic items via ebay or online is very difficult for me.

I am in Salem and whenever I try to ship an electronic item, the parcel or courier company rejects it and tells me they don't ship electronic items. Including bluedart, first flight etc.

Any solutions?
DTDC Courier They use to Sip Electronic Items for Eg if your Sending the New Mobile Sealed Box Invoice Amount - 30,000 RS take a Insurance for that Device along with the Invoice Amount for 2% (Rs 600 Around)thereafter Courier charges according to the Weight + Insurance charges.

I request to take Insurance because you can claim the charges

@JMak Any idea on how much bluedart charges for Laptops or similar 3-5kg items?

I really like their OTP system and their delivery is super swift. Like 2 days to deliver from Mumbai to Delhi.

I have used DTDC twice for shipping laptops while working from home and they cost around 3-4k.
Are you talking about international shipping here? Because for domestic it's a rip off.

You may try shiprocket, however, they take your aadhar card, cast, gotra everything and you have to bear constant torture through email, SMS and whatsapp. Other than that, it's cheap.

You may try shiprocket, however, they take your aadhar card, cast, gotra everything and you have to bear constant torture through email, SMS and whatsapp. Other than that, it's cheap.
KYC using Aadhar is there, other than that I didn't get any advertisement/SMS/calls etc from them. Only a couple times for feedback regarding my orders I placed. Maybe I have DND that's why.
My experience has been great with Shiprocket except the part where if you want to recharge your account it has to be minimum 200 INR and if you book a pickup then you have to have minimum 100 INR balance in their wallet even if the shipping costs less then 100 INR and you have that amount in wallet.

KYC using Aadhar is there
Yup, that's what I don't like about them. Today aadhar-OTP is your signature and it's suffice to open a bank account, take loan, read cibil on your name. Why would a courier aggregator need that? I have shipped tons through Amazon, flipkart, dtdc, fedex, bluedart and none of them ever asked anything like that. Plus it's not like shiprocket can take VID of aadhar. They need your original aadhar number. That's shady. I forgot to mention ship rocket spam call you as well.
We also have to print the invoice rather than address being handwritten, I think.
A small invoice is embedded on the label itself. (label = addresses, shipping barcode etc). However you better have some photoshop skills as default labels provided are useless to print properly. Your printer will strip some info from the sides.

Also, you have to print the manifest. The pickup guys will sign on to it. You then throw it in garbage.

Last edited:
Back