How do you unwind?

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
Think it needs no explanation. What are you guys doing to unwind? I usually don't feel very stressed after working in hospitals. But for last few days, most of the time is being spent on meetings with bureaucrats, fundings etc.

I am not accustomed to these things and thousands of thoughts are keeping me awake at night. How do you guys unwind after a day of continuous online meetings? We are in lockdown, of course we can drive around the city with a car sticker, but everything is closed.
I slept the entire afternoon...for next 3/4 days will be doing the same shit...one meeting after another...and it would drive me mad.
What can you do in India ( kolkata) during a lockdown? Can't go for a run (the heat will kill for sure), don't drink, can't even have sex ( no partner).... really pathetic situation...any bright ideas?
Can I learn basics of Linux in few days? Where from I start? What's even considered basics in an operating system?

My bus travel one way is anywhere between 1.5 to 2 hours depending on traffic from office to home and back, this is when I used to go to office. I carry with me 7 inch Amazon fire tablet to watch preloaded tv shows in it. I know the travel time is horrible but at least I can make it work for me as I don't have to pay attention on road and I enjoy what I like, i.e. watching tv shows.

PS: I travel in company bus.

Can you please suggest some good Indian tv series available on Netflix/ Prime.
Other than Sacred Games, haven't watched anything.
I would really like to meet/ speak to Varun Grover, love his work.
Sonu was supposed to get his contact number for me, but he's extremely busy.

Can't go for a run (the heat will kill for sure)
I have a friend in Kolkata who had been living in France from the last 10 years or so, before 2019, when he got caught by the lockdown. Initially he was hesitant about this as well but he still does 10km runs every evening in Howrah without fail (unless it is raining). Even with 100% humidity. Maybe you can try one or two days as well?
Can I learn basics of Linux in few days? Where from I start? What's even considered basics in an operating system?
You can learn using a live USB disc for Linux, and just try using it as a sort of secondary OS (through the bootable USB drive) to learn the basics.
What are you guys doing to unwind?
I literally just listen to music lying on the bed haha
Have a few documentaries and series in mind, though not necessarily Indian:
1. The Social Dilemma (Netflix)
2. Good Omens (Prime)
3. Hannah Gadsby's Nanette (Netflix)
4. Black Mirror (Netflix)

Other than Sacred Games, haven't watched anything.
I would really like to meet/ speak to Varun Grover, love his work.
Sonu was supposed to get his contact number for me, but he's extremely busy.
The family man on prime, season two will available soon.

I do either of the following things:

Watch a Show, Watch Tennis (I follow a lot WTA events along with ATP year long), Listen to music on my stereo setup at home or my apartment, go for a drive at night (at least I used to before COVID struck) or just simply lie down and take a power nap. Oh and yes, I do play a lot of video games so that is a major plexicushion I can always fall back on, relax and bounce back.

Because my significant other is from another country (she hasn't been able to come to India nor have I been able to travel to her place lately) we also have some relaxing chat sessions on the phone which is nice and peachy.

I miss something though. I used to travel, a lot. Mostly taking Transatlantic flights. I miss those. Up in the air, sitting inside that metal fuselage. Those long flights gave me time to think, to ponder, to escape. Hopefully will be able to travel soon again.

The family man on prime, season two will available soon.
The one with Manoj Vajpayee!! Loved season one. What's the real name of the female police officer? I've seen her recently in Mumbai airport. A friend of mine was constantly staring at her as she was eating mangoes in the lounge, she later gifted us a box of very nice mangoes!!
Crazy but true. Very nice lady.
Because my significant other is from another country (she hasn't been able to come to India nor have I been able to travel to her place lately) we also have some relaxing chat sessions on the phone which is nice and peachy.
How are you managing for such a long time? We have been seperated only for few days, never thought would miss each other so much.

One very wild idea - maybe try learning some coding? Get started with something like Coursera or EdX, which allow you to write tests and exams along with the learnings. Could be pretty rewarding for all you know. I'd recommend Python simply for its libraries - once you know the basic commands and syntax, you can do pretty much anything with the sheer number of libraries available for it. As a bonus, you could try learning Python on Linux directly, killing 2 birds with one stone - learn both Linux as well as Python
Edit: Would also recommend freecodecamp.org along with Coursera and EdX mentioned above

Last edited:
It depends on your choice and things you like, things that can take away your mind from everything else to it. If you like music then listen those or watch TV series, games, run, exercise etc... Anything whose thoughts are more dominant than your whole days schedule would help. A light comedy series/shows helps too when you laugh its easy to forget everything else and just enjoy the humor.

One very wild idea - maybe try learning some coding? Get started with something like Coursera or EdX, which allow you to write tests and exams along with the learnings. Could be pretty rewarding for all you know. I'd recommend Python simply for its libraries - once you know the basic commands and syntax, you can do pretty much anything with the sheer number of libraries available for it. As a bonus, you could try learning Python on Linux directly, killing 2 birds with one stone - learn both Linux as well as Python
Edit: Would also recommend freecodecamp.org along with Coursera and EdX mentioned above
Good idea, wish I could do that because that would surely help me with my job :D Though I do use a simple version of python in form of Octoparse (I don't have a coding background) to scrape details about various things and have been able to build few recipes for different websites/search engines. Does anyone here use Octoparse? we may share recipes that can help us all (I mean people who need them :) )
Dam it feels great when you make a recipe and it works after countless retries and Xpath modifications :D

The one with Manoj Vajpayee!! Loved season one. What's the real name of the female police officer? I've seen her recently in Mumbai airport. A friend of mine was constantly staring at her as she was eating mangoes in the lounge, she later gifted us a box of very nice mangoes!!
Crazy but true. Very nice lady.

How are you managing for such a long time? We have been seperated only for few days, never thought would miss each other so much.
Gul Panag

Do many small things like maybe water trees/plants around your camp, feed dogs/cats around you, watch tv shows/ movie, eat everything, read comics/ books with music in your ears, anything that will make you forget the world around you for few minutes. You will unwind for some time before your higher ups and others catch you.

I would suggest riding a bike/ drive in your car, going for a long run/walk, roaming the streets, photography but lockdown and the inability to breathe the free air makes it a PITA.

Personally, raging in Apex Legends at shit random teammates takes the edge off.
Ah, I see you are a man of Culture as well :p

Apart from this, I watch youtube videos, sometimes cooking vidoes (You Suck at Cooking and Adam Regusea are neat), listen to songs or play my instruments (Though they haven't gotten much love lately, I might have to change that)

Buy something to start a new hobby (and to never touch it again after that day). Guess it's another ADHD superpower lol.

Back