PC Peripherals How fast will 2GB memory be?

im planning on adding another gb of ram in my system
currently i hve 1gb (512X2) transcend
i wanted to knw wht will be the performance boost in my system performance gaming etc.. if i add another gb of ram
also right now its running at dual channel mode
so if i do want to add another gb .. wht do i buy? 1 single stick of 1gb or
2 X 512mb's ... and do they need to be transcend as well?
heres my the rest of my config http://www.techenclave.com/forums/rig/viewgallery-24.html

yup, if you are adding another gig of ram, they need to be the same exact modules (2*512) if you are planning to run all the sticks in dual channel mode.. or you could sell off this ram and get 2*1gb matched pair modules directly..

performance wise, you will see improvements when running latest games like fear, obvilion, etc which needs lots of memory to run smoothly.

checksum said:
performance wise, you will see improvements
Ahem..first check how much of ram is being used by your system....
The extra ram will come to use only when the current is used up...:eek:hyeah:
it would be useless if u add extra ram without the need for it..
i dont think it would improve the fps in games as well..cause that depends on the GPU.

U may find improvements in graphical designing application.....
First load up the proceses & check how much ram is being used by your system...(taskmanager --> performance)
for me my 1GB never gets filled up to even 900MB....:)

actually, i have seen lots of improvements in games like FEAR, splinter cell, and obvilion... the load times are faster, and it runs without a hiccup when compared to 1gb. may not essentially be the same for everyone though..

but i agree with super_saiyan. first check how much memory is being used at full load. then get the extra ram if you really need it..

satanofgamers said:
im planning on adding another gb of ram in my system
currently i hve 1gb (512X2) transcend
i wanted to knw wht will be the performance boost in my system performance gaming etc.. if i add another gb of ram
also right now its running at dual channel mode
so if i do want to add another gb .. wht do i buy? 1 single stick of 1gb or
2 X 512mb's ... and do they need to be transcend as well?
heres my the rest of my config http://www.techenclave.com/forums/rig/viewgallery-24.html
Now I've found that 512x2 of really low latency memory gives 2 gigs of decent memory a good run... however as newer games come out.. 2 GB begins to shine, simply because of the sheer volume of RAM available. RAM is used in your rig no matter what you do, and by 2008 4 GB will probably be the in thing for gamers... I am already planning something on the lines of 3GB for my next comp (example)
I also recommend 2x1 GB rather than 512x4, unless you are running and intel system, cause AMD cannot handle 1T when all 4 DIMM's are populated whether by 256MBx4 or 1024MBx4...
sell off your 512x2, and take the plunge..

hmm.. so no use upgrading now since system is giving decent performance..

ghost recon wrking perfectly smooth at 1024 details medium rest maxed out

so i guess 1 gb is still ok..

and i dunt wana go into all the jhamela of selling my ram :p

so ur saying 512X4 a big no no ??

techboy said:
with amd, at least with socket 939 and non-venice and non-sd cpus your ram speed may come down to 333 instead of 400.
well with AMD and 512 u have ta use 2T, with Intel I don't think so.. but my 875 bios doesn't show any "T" values that I can discern, so dunno properly..

And the downclocking thing was solved with the venice I think..

I am running a 4800+ with 512x4 corsair's, and haven't encountered any underclocking... just the 2t thing, which doesn't affect speed much.

I think the parallel access that 512 meg sticks give is better, and theoretically 512x4 should be in the classical sense better than 1024x2, because of the same reason..haven't swapped memory between the comps and checked...

vandal said:
well with AMD and 512 u have ta use 2T, with Intel I don't think so.. but my 875 bios doesn't show any "T" values that I can discern, so dunno properly..

And the downclocking thing was solved with the venice I think..

I am running a 4800+ with 512x4 corsair's, and haven't encountered any underclocking... just the 2t thing, which doesn't affect speed much.

I think the parallel access that 512 meg sticks give is better, and theoretically 512x4 should be in the classical sense better than 1024x2, because of the same reason..haven't swapped memory between the comps and checked...

intel benefits when we use 4 dimms, because of a feature cause "interleaving."

the conventional intel chipsets (i8xx, i9xx series) have always been 2T default. but with the RD600 chipset for intel, all that is going to change drastically.

regards,

karan

asus a8n e or those asus boards in particular don't support 2 X Corsair Value Select and speed comes to ddr 333 for any board/config i think other than the ones i mentioned and maybe newer ones maybe fine too.

techboy said:
asus a8n e or those asus boards in particular don't support 2 X Corsair Value Select and speed comes to ddr 333 for any board/config i think other than the ones i mentioned and maybe newer ones maybe fine too.
don't think so... anyways I have an asus mobo with corsair (though its the xms pro twinX series) so cannot comment on the value select prob... no probs with this setup though

i was thinking the same too .................... is it worth upgrading from my 1gb to 2 gb i'm on upgradatis. and if its a no its better for my pocket so help me decide guys.my physical mem available is arnd 60xxxx rt now.

^^If you dont play games then its really no point. Because the ddr memory you buy now will not be usable the next time you upgrade. You would be better off holding off to the 1 GB till your next upgrade. However if you do game then all the newer games run much better on 2 gigs of ram, and if you plan to upgrade to Vista then even Vista will run better with 2 gigs of ram.

The venice core will default to ddr333 at 2T when 4 ram modules(Double sided) are installed with most ram modules(it may not downclock to 333 when certain exotic ram kinds like BH-5 are used but 2T will still be there), and u have to u use ur overclocking skills to overcome the problem.(increase HTT bus, use a divider)

undertaker said:
The venice core will default to ddr333 at 2T when 4 ram modules(Double sided) are installed with most ram modules(it may not downclock to 333 when certain exotic ram kinds like BH-5 are used but 2T will still be there)

Winchester core - 4 modules @ DDR 333Mhz / 2T

Venice/San-Diego core - 4 modules @ DDR 400Mhz / 2T

Revision E processors fixed the downclocking issue.

amm im getting confused.. i dunt overclock at all... so is it ok if i install the ram will there be any perfrmance boost in games??

ok stupid beginner question: wich will be faster my current 512 X 2 running at dual channel 400 mhz

or 4X512 running at 333 mhz

^ You said you had a Venice core. That means you'd have 4 x 512MB sticks running at DDR400 , thought at 2T command rate, which does result in a performance hit ( It has nothing to do with overclocking).

Benchmark wise, a 512MB x 2 kit will be faster than a 512MB x 4 kit mainly due to the slower 2T command rate of a 512MB x 4 setup.

The way the 512MB x 4 (2GB) of memory helps is in improving 'performance' for memory-heavy games/applications is understood wrongly.

With low amounts of RAM, the applications/games would resort to constant swapping of data between your hard disk's pagefile (i.e. your virtual memory). As you know hard disk speeds will never match RAM speeds, resulting in choppy/sluggish performance. More RAM would remove this bottleneck by giving you a "smoother" gaming experience. Your FPS rates wont go up, but your load times will go down.

I beg to differ, I have run performance tests, and am running on 1.5 gigs as of now, Benchmarking on 2 gigs gave not much improved results, its just a tiny bit, the only improvement that could come from as far as memory and games is concerned when your memory is above 1 gig, is your graphics card mem....

a 256 is a must, if not, get one now, that should make a HUGE performance difference...

Back