PC Peripherals How future-safe is ThermalRight Ultima90 ?

Argus

Adept
I am using a c2d E4400 processor and I am considering to buy ThermalRight Ultima90 which is available in our market section :D

I want the Ultima to remain relevant for around two years. So, before I make a purchase decision, i want to know : will the Ultima be compatible with the coming processors in the immediate near future.

Since I don't know much about the archicture of the newly announced/selling processors from both AMD and Intel, I'm bothering fellow TE members :)

Please advise.

Also, please suggest which fan would be suitable for Ultima 90.

I don't like 92mm one and i'm more inclined towards a 120 mm one. So how about Scythe S-Flex SFF21F ?

It supports AMD Socket AM2 and Intel Socket 775, Even if Intel changed socket in future, U can buy brackets for UR heatsink.

Its very good investment, dont think twice, I m using its very small and effective, only 2C difference against TRUE120, will fit in any ATX cabby. Its enough for current C2D upto 3.6C, and will handle 4GHz with 45nm CPUz. TRUE120 is slightly more effective on quad core but that only depends on UR proccesor TDP eg. It cant handle B3 stepping of Q6600, No issue with G0 stepping. So it will be more than enough for next 2yrs, just search abt CPU TDP, revisions etc etc before buying in future.

Scythe S-Flex SFF21F 120mm 63CFM and Punaflo Medium Speed 92mm 48CFM r good choices, just buy which fits UR cabby.

@Punjab234 : Thanks for the quick reply mate. Last time also you had helped me with OC tips. May your 8600GT sell soon ... without any more thread-crapping :p

At 10kg, CM 690 may not (even remotely) be the lightest cabinet around :mad: but its quite roomy from inside :clap: I guess it can accommodate a TRUE easily. But then, TRUE is too bulky for my taste :no:

Ultima + Scythe SFlex seems good enough for my current rig.

PS : Just curious, is there any new generation processor in the market that does not support socket 775/AM2 architecture ?

dude...get the scythe ultra-kaze with the higher cfm...dunno about noise but 110cfm OMG!!!

and the name of the fan is awesome too :p

^^ Yes 110cfm is a bid wow but at 37 db :no:

I sleep with my pc on so a less noisy SFlex@28db would be mucho better :D

btw which heatsink cooler are you using bro

does someone know whether these sinks can run a E2140ish proccy relatively cool without a fan??

trying to build a quiet pc.. dont mind temps a lil above avg.. but dont wanna fit a fan coz of the noise.

Yes dude most E2140 M0 OC to 2.9GHz @ stock vCore, ma chip stock VID is 1.225, so its doing 2.9Ghz @ just 1.19v real under Orthos, With fan max load temp is 45C and without fan 58C, Punaflo Medium 45CFM is only 28db. Use high quality thermal paster like Arctic MX-2.
sTALKEr said:
does someone know whether these sinks can run a E2140ish proccy relatively cool without a fan??
trying to build a quiet pc.. dont mind temps a lil above avg.. but dont wanna fit a fan coz of the noise.

I have shortlisted Ultima 90 coz it is comparatively less bulky and yet only marginally behind TRUE 120 in cooling performance.

But I plan to switch to quad core in a few months. Will TRUE 120 cool a quad core significantly better than Ultima 90 ? If yes then it sure makes sense to go for it, despite the bulk :D

^^ yes if u are going quad, best to go with the TRUE.. the bulk shouldn't be a concern, since ur current cabby is roomy enough to fit a TRUE..

Argus said:
I am using a c2d E4400 processor and I am considering to buy ThermalRight Ultima90 which is available in our market section :D
I want the Ultima to remain relevant for around two years. So, before I make a purchase decision, i want to know : will the Ultima be compatible with the coming processors in the immediate near future.

If you use the E4400 for the coming 2 yrs, anything u get stays relevant. :bleh:

But better coolers make existing ones kinda irrelevant even if they aren't much behind. :p

burnz said:
if u really want to be future proof, spend the extra 400 rupees and get a TRUE 120 :)

Argus said:
But I plan to switch to quad core in a few months. Will TRUE 120 cool a quad core significantly better than Ultima 90 ? If yes then it sure makes sense to go for it, despite the bulk :D

Funny you missed this out earlier- almost shot yourself in thefoot.

burnz said:
^^ yes if u are going quad, best to go with the TRUE.. the bulk shouldn't be a concern, since ur current cabby is roomy enough to fit a TRUE..

Totally with Burnz.

sTALKEr said:

A TRUE120 with Sflex 63/49 cfm or any other 1200-1600 rpm fan as per your tolerance.:cool2:

Expensive but effective and almost silent. :p

another suggestion i would have is this::

thermalright ultra-90 with a panaflo medium-speed 92mm fan

the cooler performs well and is only 1450 bux!! saves a lot of money :D

Back