CPU/Mobo How long will DDR3 memory survive?

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Now that DDR4 is out and very much pocket friendly, people building new rigs or upgrading existing ones are already thinking of considering DDR4 platform combos.
Esp. the price factor is much budget friendly.

So in this race how long is DDR3 gonna hold its nerves?

Or is it time to slowly bid goodbye to the long hauling DDR3 memory?

Those of us who already own 8-16gb kits of DDR3, do we need to press the panic button or think of upgrading? Or can we survive for next couple of years?

Now that DDR4 is out and very much pocket friendly, people building new rigs or upgrading existing ones are already thinking of considering DDR4 platform combos.
Esp. the price factor is much budget friendly.

So in this race how long is DDR3 gonna hold its nerves?

Or is it time to slowly bid goodbye to the long hauling DDR3 memory?

Those of us who already own 8-16gb kits of DDR3, do we need to press the panic button or think of upgrading? Or can we survive for next couple of years?
Yes you can if you really that much cash crunchy or else go with DDR4 memory.

I don't understand...I have two systems one with new DDR4 RAM and another old one with DDR2 RAM. When I download torrents, I don't see any difference in download/upload speed in both the systems. Even with normal browsing there is no difference in speed in both the systems, so where do we see the difference in speed, maybe gaming?

DDR3 will survive till you decide to move on. Warranty is obviously covered as per the manufacturers. The performance improves on DDR4 but that doesn't mean your current setup that use a DDR3 can accommodate DDR4 if you want it. Considering a shift to DDR4 from current DDR3 mean a shift of the CPU combo on a whole (except for ppl who have mobo supporting DDR4 - rarely seen), a comparison between the class of RAMS aint the whole way to see the phase out.

If somebody recently bought Corsair rams having lifetime warranty, will they get DDR4 as replacement if suppose with next 10 years DDR3 gets obsolete ?

When I download torrents, I don't see any difference in download/upload speed in both the systems. Even with normal browsing there is no difference in speed in both the systems, so where do we see the difference in speed, maybe gaming?
Your internet runs slower than your RAM... So, you won't see the difference while browsing/downloading. Though large amount of RAM will allow you open lots of tabs simultaneously, without lag. Speed boost in gaming? Definitely.

Well DDR2 is still available for sale and in market since 2003. DDR3 will be available for next 10 years or so because LGA775 to LGA1150 still use DDR3 RAM.

ddr3 will run until u decide to change ur system and upgrade...i Don't see it happening for a couple of years atleast unless your system blew up.

Has DDR2 completely gone out of usage? forget about the tech savvy forum members ; what about general public? It'll be still running in many computers IMHO.

So will be for Ddr3, it'll be available and used much after its production is stopped completely. Which seems to be delayed as PC itself has lost its edge as primary computing device to mobile devices, the enthusiasm to upgrade their PC to latest hardware has gone down drastically in general population .

Even DDR sticks are still available.

Going forward the only limitations are :
- These are the best DDR3 prices are ever going to be. If a 4GB DDR3 stick costs say Rs. 2k today, it will be the same years later as well. DDR4 prices on the other hand should only get better.
- If your motherboard has 4 RAM slots, and consumer DDR3 has a max capacity of 8GB per stick, the most you can upgrade your system to will be 32GB. OTOH 16GB DDR4 sticks are already available.

If somebody recently bought Corsair rams having lifetime warranty
Lifetime warranty = lifetime of the product. If DDR3 is no longer manufactured, i.e. End Of Life, the warranty is over too.

I don't understand...I have two systems one with new DDR4 RAM and another old one with DDR2 RAM. When I download torrents, I don't see any difference in download/upload speed in both the systems.
You're kidding right :p Even your modem/router has a few megabytes of lowly DDR RAM because it makes no difference.

Back