Audio how much power creative 4.1 inspire speakers draw

deepak3775

Adept
May 30, 2007
how much power will 4.1 speakers draw.i have to use my 500watt inverter a lot cos of power cuts.
# Type Device - 4 Speakers + Subwoofer
# Power Output (Watts) - 6 Watts per (Speaker)
# Power Output (Watts) - 17 Watts (Subwoofer)
# Power Output (Watts) - Per Channel
# Power Output (Watts) - RMS
i just remembered my friend had given these to me but they were gathering dust as i thought they will draw too much power from my inverter and it will get discharged vey quickly.
my ceiling tubelight draws 40 watts.if we add the total speakers power it comes to 41 watts.
does that mean they only draw approx same power as a tubelight.
awaiting clarification from some techie who knows about this stuff,
thanks
deepak

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
that's the max continuous output. the average power draw will be typically half of that , and even lesser if you're listening at low volume :)

ok, now for the funny math . creative's power supply for that is a 12V 2.9A adapter. so output comes to 34.8 W output of the adapter. A class B audio amp is typically 70% effective, so you get 24.4 W output. I guess the RMS figures are for one channel loaded , not with all channels firing at the same time:p

so deepak, your speakers wont draw 41W even if you loaded them to the max :p

Reactions: 1 person

techie_007

Skilled
Jun 2, 2007
www.techiesdomain.com
hey greenie, another doubt. i read somewhere that u shudnt hook up speakers to a UPS. supposedly they drain the batteries faster...dont ask me to explain how :ashamed: some dealer mentioned it. i m guessing its FUD, but never did test it :p any truth in that?

deepak3775

Adept
May 30, 2007
greenhorn said:
that's the max continuous output. the average power draw will be typically half of that , and even lesser if you're listening at low volume :)
ok, now for the funny math . creative's power supply for that is a 12V 2.9A adapter. so output comes to 34.8 W output of the adapter. A class B audio amp is typically 70% effective, so you get 24.4 W output. I guess the RMS figures are for one channel loaded , not with all channels firing at the same time:p
so deepak, your speakers wont draw 41W even if you loaded them to the max :p

so the speakers consume less electricity than even a tubelight.the i guess i can safely use them withy my 500watt inverter without fear of discharging it too quickly.
thanks greenhorn