How to backup server setup

rafael8a

Recruit
I would like to know if anyone knows the reason for something very particular:

I have a lenovo PC, to which to make backups of the BIOS I boot it with the HBCD and use the DOS BIOS backup tools. The backup is done correctly, and when restoring everything is also correct.

On an EXO server, I try to do the same, and with no DOS BIOS backup program I can do it. I tried with the HBCD 15.x tools, which tell me that the backup was done, but when I go to restore, I look for the backup file created and it just leaves the BIOS unchanged. That is, it does not restore to the values that should have the backup file, as it does with the lenovo PC.

I also tried it on a probook 4410s laptop and the same thing happened as with the EXO:: the restore is not done.

If anyone knows why or of any tool that works for this purpose I would appreciate it.

-/-

HBCD is for personal computing and hardware. If you want to backup a server bios then look out for specific tools form the vendor instead of trying to do with unapproved 3rd party tools.
Would suggest the same for desktop as well, as since a along time now the mobo vendors themselves offer bios backup/restore facility without involving anything complex.

Thanks nRiTec

I did indeed look on the motherboard page and found the tool you mention.

When I run it from CMD (as indicated in the official software manual), I get the error::

[Error] Failed to enumerate the Microsoft_IPMI instances available (0x80041010)

I have not found why I get this error
And Intel support (the times I have used it) has not helped me.

I will keep looking.
If I don't find the answer I will post the question in the forum.

Thanks again.

Whats an EXO server? Looks like you have a server with bmc. You may have to use ipmi tools to take backup.

Back