Laptops How to buy a Dell ?

MHG

Adept
I posted in a previous thread my dilema as to which laptop to buy. Finally decided upon Dell if I'm getting discounts on it.

I need advice on how to buy a dell laptop.

• Online price comes to 33K plus taxes.

• Can I get a discount and reduce price to 30K ?

• Does Dell offer any student discounts ?

• Can we bargain over phone on configuration ?

• Can I specifically ask them to omit features like Dell online backup 2GB which I won't be needing ? (unless they allow me to host a website in that space :bleh:)

• Can stuff like 9-cell battery over 6-cell, extra usb mouse (rs. 250), laptop bag, more warranty, etc be made as freebies ?

• Does purchasing from retail outlet give me lower cost of ownership ?

• Dell Wireless 1397 802.11b/g Half Mini Card vs Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 (802.11a/g/n) Half Mini-card [add Rs.581.25] which is better ? Whats the difference ?

• What's the battery life of a 6-cell battery and 9-cell ? For me 2 hours is enough. I wouldn't need 9-cell if 6-cell gives 2 hours.

3. They have a corporate discount of 5% for lappies above 50k. Not sure about students. They may give discount on bulk orders.

4.Yes we can bargain over phone. Ask them to cut the OS and enquire how much you can save by that? You can install Os on your own, right ;)

8. Dell Wireless 1397 802.11b/g Half Mini Card vs Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 (802.11a/g/n) Half Mini-card. The n is the latest wireless technology The wifi 802.11a/g/n supports it. But in india with this Broadband we cant expect those speeds :p Google it for difference.

9. Yes 6-cell provides 2 hrs+ backup.

P.S: Bargain hard. :D

Hmm... right now I'm considering the following:

> Reduce from 9 cell to 6-cell and save 1.5K
> Reduce from Intel WiFi to Dell WiFi and save 0.5K

So total 2K savings.

Then,

> Remove Dell Mouse and Noise Isolation EarBuds - do I really need those ?

I guess I can bring the thing down to 30K level then.

Should I do it ?

You can always negotiate the price on phone with the Dell POC assigned for your transaction. Dell has already opening few exclusive showrooms across India. In bangalore, it's near Domlur on the Inner Ring Road

desiibond said:
You can always negotiate the price on phone with the Dell POC assigned for your transaction. Dell has already opening few exclusive showrooms across India. In bangalore, it's near Domlur on the Inner Ring Road

Any location on ring road is not hard for me to get to. I'm very near it and the numerous 600 and 601 buses which circle it are damn helpful to reach any point on it! :hap2:

Is the showroom open today ? I'm considering going there once I finish my morning chores.

And yeah, do showrooms accept custom orders and will they give bargains ? How is pricing there ?

desiibond said:
it's not on outer ring road. it's in Inner ring road. Near to Domlur in EGL campus's Dell office.
Suggest buses from Majestic.
And about remaining questions ?

amol_cool said:
And your thread made me think you wanted to buy 'DELL' :p

:tongue:

From majestic, take 333 buses that go towards Marthahalli, get down at Domlur Junction.

Take an Auto from Domlur junction (20 bucks) to EGL. Tell them it's to Dell office (Embassy Golf links).

The store is open today
Have not checked the prices yet but it should be the same as what we see online and if you are good at bargaining, you can have better choice here as you speak face to face.

also, ezone is selling dell laptops too but one TDF member is having delays in delivery.

Thanks. Anywhere else you recommend I check ? I'm planning to also visit Croma since Garuda Mall is near the area.

By "dell office" do you mean its the place from where phone orders are shipped/customized ? In that case I can get custom Dells configured right ?

Dell address:

12/1, Divyasri Green, Inner Ring Road, Domlur, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560071, India‎ - 080 2535 7311‎
It is in Dell office building but is a separate part.

Dell have also setup experience stores at Croma, e-zone and staples. The person from TDF ordered a customized Dell Studio 15 from e-zone.

This should help you: Dell Experience Zones at Croma, E-Zone and Staples | Dell India

as per Dell:

Dell’s unique channel model makes it possible for the customers to see the products on the retail shelves and then place an order for the preferred model with the choice to customize the looks and configuration of the unit.

Sure. I will be inspecting the machines today. If I am satisfied I will go with my dad for finalizing the deal. He seems ok with the price.

Only regret is I wont be able to game the way I wished I could. The lenovo and the acer are better at that but guess I'll have to make some sacrifices here and there...

OK I went to chroma and Dell Office showrooms.

Chroma apparently only sells Dells from 35K onwards. They force users to buy crapware like McAfee Antivirus 15 months edition and Windows 7 Home Premium, unasked for stuff like 1-year complete cover warranty and 3GB RAM. Half the chroma sales guys had the snob like attitude I disliked.

Dell Showroom (which I visited before chroma) was the exact opposite. They were friendly and courteous. Anyway, here is the info I got about the configuration:

1. I need to pay the exact cost as on the internet but the tax is removed as a discount.
2. DAMN, I need to pay for the laptop bag, 1K, separately.
3. There is a Rs. 900 delivery charge because the laptop is not assembled in bangalore (surprise surprise) but in Chennai.

And some of the things I will be doing for cost cutting are:

1. Stick to 6-cell. Gives 1 hour 15 min gaming at 50% volume apparently. That's the duration power goes at home at a stretch and I have 24/7 power at hostel.

2. Choose Dell WiFi over Intel. While Intel supports a faster standard, I won't see it anywhere unless I specifically decide to WiFi my home, which I wouldn't do anyway.

3. DARN I forgot to enquire about student discounts.

4. The only extra goodie I am going for is Dell USB Mouse.
BTW how is the "Noise Isolation Earbuds" offered for sale @ 384Rs ? Its supposed to be Creative EP-630 right ? Is it good ?

desiibond said:
yes. they are good for the price of 384 bucks. Outside it costs around 750 bucks.

And the quality ? I mean at launch there was this FAD everywhere that they were the best pair of cans around and after 6-months half the guys were cursing it :S:S

burn in needs few hours for these dude.
main problem is its over bass and low life. but as i said , for 384 bucks, they are worth the price.
can't compare these to sony's and sennheiser's in-ear headphones.

desiibond said:
burn in needs few hours for these dude.
main problem is its over bass and low life. but as i said , for 384 bucks, they are worth the price.
can't compare these to sony's and sennheiser's in-ear headphones.

Is the burn in procedure for earphones same as that for cars ? I mean run at low volume for some time ?

And what is the exact problem over these ? What do you mean low life ? Any links to reviews ?

Back