How to connect 2 computers without internet for file sharing in windows 10?

muthu3dtech

Disciple
Title explains the need. I have done it in previous versions of windows 10. But now they have removed home group. I brought the setup to the stage, when I can see the drives of one computer on other computer. But when I try to access the drive, it shows that I dont have privileges. In the old win 10 version, there's a place where I put some password and sync the two computers. But here in this version, I m not able to figure it out.

can anyone shed some help on this?

Title explains the need. I have done it in previous versions of windows 10. But now they have removed home group. I brought the setup to the stage, when I can see the drives of one computer on other computer. But when I try to access the drive, it shows that I dont have privileges. In the old win 10 version, there's a place where I put some password and sync the two computers. But here in this version, I m not able to figure it out.

I used the below guide about a month ago for the same purpose. I connected my laptop and desktop directly with a LAN cable. If both have gigabit ethernet, you should get around 110-125mbps read wrote (assuming your local disks can kepe up).

I used the below guide about a month ago for the same purpose. I connected my laptop and desktop directly with a LAN cable. If both have gigabit ethernet, you should get around 110-125mbps read wrote (assuming your local disks can kepe up).

Nope this method didnt worked for me. Actually I lost something with this method. Now the drives are not visible on the other system. Before I was using the Ip address 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 on two systems. Drives on system 192.168.0.1 were visible on system 192.168.0.2 and not vice versa. But when I changed the ip address to obtain automatically, I didnt get my drives detected on other systems.
But remote desktop connection is working perfectly with 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 methods.
The problem with 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 method is I can see the drives of 192.168.0.1 on 192.168.0.2 computer, but I m not able to dive into those drives. Its saying that I dont have rights to do that.

Can you try to use Windows Nearby Sharing?

Or use Filezilla Server -

If you are not using a router in the middle you might need to setup the DNS settings manually in your LAN properties, as far as I remember.

If you are not using a router in the middle you might need to setup the DNS settings manually in your LAN properties, as far as I remember.
I m not using a router. Based on a help from google, i set the ip as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2. By doing so , I m atleast seeing one computers drive on other but not vice versa. If I revert back the IP setting to automatic. The drives vanishes. I tried resetting the network, but no fortune.
Can you try to use Windows Nearby Sharing?

Or use Filezilla Server -
Nearby sharing is not available 21H1 windows. They have changed a lot....Its really makes this complicated.

I m not willing to go into complicated FTP server and all. Just connection between the two computers to share files.

I m not using a router. Based on a help from google, i set the ip as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2. By doing so , I m atleast seeing one computers drive on other but not vice versa. If I revert back the IP setting to automatic. The drives vanishes. I tried resetting the network, but no fortune.

Nearby sharing is not available 21H1 windows. They have changed a lot....Its really makes this complicated.

I m not willing to go into complicated FTP server and all. Just connection between the two computers to share files.
Could you please tell how you are connecting the computers? You said you are not using a router, I would like to know what method you are using to connect the computers with each other.

Could you please tell how you are connecting the computers? You said you are not using a router, I would like to know what method you are using to connect the computers with each other.
I m just using a CAT6 cable and connecting the two computers. Now it's not even detected on each systems the other systems. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. Resetting the network, changing the ip address from automatic to 192.168.0.1 and
192.168.0.2. No use. But remote desktop is working perfectly between the two computers.

Network discovery, is it enabled on both PCs? Firewall settings on both PCs are same? Do PC's have user account and password set on both of them?

1624799460187.png

Please ping the IP address of both PC's from each other through CMD and see what is the result. Try entering the IP address of each PC from another in address bar. Sometime the PC's wont be shown but you will have connectivity and can be checked like this.

Filezilla Server is very easy to use. Go through the video once, you will understand.
I set it up in 5 mins after looking at the video.

Network discovery, is it enabled on both PCs? Firewall settings on both PCs are same? Do PC's have user account and password set on both of them?

View attachment 107970

Please ping the IP address of both PC's from each other through CMD and see what is the result. Try entering the IP address of each PC from another in address bar. Sometime the PC's wont be shown but you will have connectivity and can be checked like this.
I think ping through cmd prompt works. 4 packets of data sent and received from each if the systems in either direction.

Network discovery is on every system.no passwords.
But typing the ip address in the microsoft edge browser doesn't works.
It shows Ethernet doesnt have valid IP configuration when trouble shooting.

Last edited:
Can you check this article and see if works for you? Are you following the same settings as shown in this article? It looks quite detailed and I think should help in solving your issue.

Can you check this article and see if works for you? Are you following the same settings as shown in this article? It looks quite detailed and I think should help in solving your issue.
Thanks after following this method, two computers and their drives are detected on each other in the network . But the problem is i m not able to access the folders. I turned off password protection, I changed the permission to allow to all the drives and also to all the users. But no luck. Is there any place I have to sync the password between the two computers like I did in the old homegroup version of windows?

Thanks after following this method, two computers and their drives are detected on each other in the network . But the problem is i m not able to access the folders. I turned off password protection, I changed the permission to allow to all the drives and also to all the users. But no luck. Is there any place I have to sync the password between the two computers like I did in the old homegroup version of windows?
I think you wouldn't be able to access files folders with password protection disabled. I found this issue on my home PC's. One running Windows 10 and another Windows 7. The only way I could gain access to shared folders were to enable password for the user account of the networked PC. I think with recent Windows updates accessing network shares without a password is restricted as it is a security risk.

When you try to access the shared folder Windows will prompt you for user name and password. You should enter account user name and password of the networked PC you are trying to access folder of. Windows I think will also save that user name and password so that the next sessions will be automatically logged in.

1624828203750.png

Are you using
I think you wouldn't be able to access files folders with password protection disabled. I found this issue on my home PC's. One running Windows 10 and another Windows 7. The only way I could gain access to shared folders were to enable password for the user account of the networked PC. I think with recent Windows updates accessing network shares without a password is restricted as it is a security risk.

When you try to access the shared folder Windows will prompt you for user name and password. You should enter account user name and password of the networked PC you are trying to access folder of. Windows I think will also save that user name and password so that the next sessions will be automatically logged in.

View attachment 108019
Oh yea I faced this as well. You need to disable pin and any other log in methods you have, a dn use just password. Then see if you can see the files and folders

Back