How to connect a Reliance 3G modem to a wireless router ?

coolcowboy

Disciple
Hey guys,

I currently use a Reliance 3G modem 21.6 Mbps (ZTE MF668) to connect to the internet on my laptop. My laptop has gone a little old and until a few days ago, there was only one USB port left that was working. That port has finally given up and does not work anymore.

Now, I am not able to connect my 3g modem to any of the USB ports and have not been able to connect to the internet. I was wondering if there's a way for me to connect my 3g modem to a wireless router (need to buy) and be able to connect to the internet wireless-ly not just on my laptop but also on my phone.

My questions:

1. Is it possible ?
2. Any specific wireless router that I need to look for ?
3. Assuming I buy a wireless router with a USB port and connect the 3g modem to it, how do I enter the username and password details?
4. Would I have to keep my laptop on to be able to use internet on my mobile phone ?

Attached pictures of the modem in question and the dialer details:
[attachment=10290:17170.attach]

Attachments

• Login screen.JPG
    Login screen.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 284
  • ZTE MF668.JPG
    ZTE MF668.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 293
Yes, it is possible. You need 3G router.

I've TP-Link MR3220 model and I use Tata Photon + with that.

You can get that router for around Rs. 2000/- and your model is supported by that router - 3G/3.75G USB Modem Compatibility List - Welcome to TP-LINK

Once you get the router you need to configure username/password in router settings - 192.168.1.1 . Also, you can set the option of Auto connect. So, whenever you need to use internet connection just turn on the wifi router or else you can turn it on always.

jituthejeet said:
Yes, it is possible. You need 3G router.

I've TP-Link MR3220 model and I use Tata Photon + with that.

You can get that router for around Rs. 2000/- and your model is supported by that router - 3G/3.75G USB Modem Compatibility List - Welcome to TP-LINK

Once you get the router you need to configure username/password in router settings - 192.168.1.1 . Also, you can set the option of Auto connect. So, whenever you need to use internet connection just turn on the wifi router or else you can turn it on always.

Thanks for the reply jituthejeet,

Do you use the router to use the internet on a computer only or other devices as well?

I am just skeptical about being able to browse internet on my phone as well.

If possible could you please explain the process of setting up router settings? I need to be able to use the internet on my laptop which has reliance 3g dialer installed, and on my phone which does not. Would I be able to use it without a reliance dialer after setting up router settings? Will it be secured ?

Thanks again.

coolcowboy said:
Do you use the router to use the internet on a computer only or other devices as well?

If possible could you please explain the process of setting up router settings?

Yes, I use internet on my iPhone 3GS i.e. you can access the internet on devices which has WiFi. Regarding setting once you get the router connect it to your laptop and go to http://192.168.1.1 - this will allow you to configure your router settings. Under 3G section you can select your modem and save the changes. This is one time activity only.

@coolcowboy : The router has a section for entering the dialer details. But make sure before you buy the router that the router supports the particular model of usb modem.

coolcowboy said:

If possible could you please explain the process of setting up router settings?

Yes, I use internet on my iPhone 3GS i.e. you can access the internet on devices which has WiFi. Regarding setting once you get the router connect it to your laptop and go to http://192.168.1.1 - this will allow you to configure your router settings. Under 3G section you can select your modem and save the changes. This is one time activity only.

Thanks all you guys for the prompt answers to all my queries. I am now gonna buy one and get back with the latest.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

I finally bought the TP-Link MR 3420, which I guess has better range than its cousin 3220. Trying to set it up. Although my 3g device is listed on their website, it is having trouble recognizing it. Will fiddle around and post the result in a day or two.

Thanks again all of you.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

jituthejeet said:
Regarding range, MR-3420 has 2 Antenna - 2*3dBi and MR-3220 has 1 Antenna - 1*5dBi.

At what price did you get MR 3420?

I was getting MR3220 for Rs. 2100/- and MR3420 for Rs.2350, so opted for the latter. The range with those antennas dont seem to differ too much !

Guys I bought MR3220 for Rs. 2400/- here in nehru place delhi, couldn't find any cheaper.

TL-MR3220 - Welcome to TP-LINK

now when I am trying to run it on DHCP settings its giving me ping of 198.168.1.1 but has no internet connectivity.

I am trying this with beetal 220 BX airtel ADSL modem.

I was not aware about the compatibility list can you tell me where can I check it?

on tp-link site there is only 3g model list

3G/3.75G USB Modem Compatibility List - Welcome to TP-LINK

May be I have not configured it correctly & my doubt is that the username pass word saved in beetal modem page might be wrong but since I never ever entered it from the day airtel set it I don't know much about it.

Can anyone of you help in getting this configured correctly, seems I am missing some setting.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Guys I bought MR3220 for Rs. 2400/- here in nehru place delhi, couldn't find any cheaper, now when I am trying to run it on DHCP settings its giving me ping of 198.168.1.1 but has no internet connectivity. I am trying this with beetal 220 BX airtel ADSL modem.

I was not aware about the compatibility can you tell me where can I check it?

on tp-link site there is only 3g model list

3G/3.75G USB Modem Compatibility List - Welcome to TP-LINK

May be I have not configured it correctly & my doubt is that the username pass word saved in beetal modem page might be wrong but since I never ever entered it from the day airtel set it I don't know much about it.

Can anyone of you help in getting this configured correctly, seems I am missing some setting.

UPDATE

found the solution here

Why can not I access the Internet after connecting TP-LINK Router to my modem - Welcome to TP-LINK

Method 2 Change the LAN IP address of the router.

Back