PC Peripherals How to Control Volume using 60% Keyboard

MadAxe

Adept
I had bought Cosmic Byte CB GK 18 Firefly as my first mechanical keyboard and Redragon Fizz K617 as back up (Both with Outemu Red Switches)
I found a lot of users on Reddit complaining of keys malfunctioning, backlight not working and other issues within a few months of purchase. So since I got a good deal, I bought both of them together.
The Cosmicbyte felt cheap to me so I sold it off and switched to Redragon. The K617 is quite better than the GK 18 in terms of feel and stabilisers. But after switching to a 60% keyboard, I realised how frequently I use multimedia keys.
So how do I use multimedia keys and control volume using a 60% keyboard?
For instance, I want to use Fn + J as Mute. Can this be done without any third party software?
Multimedia keys can be assigned using Redragon software but then the key loses it's original function.

Yes. I'm controlling volume, media and what not using auto hot key. It's better than using media buttons. I stopped using dedicated media buttons half a decade ago even though my 60% kb has them.

Yes. I'm controlling volume, media and what not using auto hot key. It's better than using media buttons. I stopped using dedicated media buttons half a decade ago even though my 60% kb has them.
Can you share the script that you're using?
Have you tried QMK? It seems more widely used than AutoHotKeys.

Can you share the script that you're using?
Have you tried QMK? It seems more widely used than AutoHotKeys.
Even though what you want to do can be achieved with either, both are entirely different things. Autohotkey is a full programming language that can do variety of things including macros. Here's a small part of my autohotkey related to handling media.

Code:
>^.::Send {Volume_Up 1}
>^,::Send {Volume_Down 1}
>^/::Send {Volume_Mute}
>^+.::Send {Media_Next}
>^+,::Send {Media_Prev}
>^+/::Send {Media_Play_Pause}

Here I have assigned right Ctrl key + other key to modify media.

^ is ctrl, + is shift, <> are the left of right.

In my example, Right Ctrl + / is a toggle for mute. Similarly, Right Ctrl + Shift + / is a toggle for play pause media.

Back