How to create a partition???

tech_guy27

Disciple
hi friends,
i hve a notebook,vista business edition installed,i wanna create a partition.how can i do it?its a 120gb Hd....thanks in advance..

Right Click on My Computer->Manage->Disk Management. Select a drive, right click and and Delete any partitions you want to. They will appear as Unallocated space. After that select Format and specify the size and the File System. The result will be a new partition of the corresponding size and file system. Note that Vista also gives the option to create new partitions from an existing partition by the Shrink option.

im suspicious of gparted after is kinda screwed up my winxp/fat32 partition while trying to reduce its size - maybe i didnt defrag it properly.

i would also suggest using "manage disk" in vista to "shrink" the existing partition as much as you can (or want) then create a new partition in the free/unallocated space that results...

this is what i did on my tablet pc with vista home premium to create space for a linux installation :D

+1 to hammerhead's suggestion.

I've been using partition magic with XP for creating new partitions, merging partitions etc. Not sure if it works in vista. (haven't heard of it working thou)

+1 for gparted too, used it tons of times ... no probs

or

Acronis Disk Director... you can also make a boot cd with it to partition from.

Back