How To Dispose Of Old Electronics?

kidrow

Adept
Hi all,

So I have some electronic items that are basically junk & need to be scrapped. These include items such as a gpu, a psu, a laptop battery, a cassette player, a dvd writer, & the like.

Just wondering what the proper, eco-friendly way to dispose of them is. Just throw them in the trash? Or give 'em to the local scrap/bhangaar wala? Or is there any proper channel for recycling?

Thanks!

Hey thanks. Will do.

Do you know if these services arrange for the (limited) items to be picked up? (I always assumed they only worked in bulk items.)

I'm from Mumbai btw. So if anyone from Mumbai has had a good experience with any such provider, please do share.

Thanks.

whenever i happen to go to andheri, i just carry whatever e-waste i've accumulated & give it to eco-reco's office. there they ask you what is the waste, weigh the bundle, & give you a 'commendation-letter'. their pick-up service is i guess only for bulkier waste.

for selling off gadgets like phones, tabs, laptops, PMPs, etc., there's webuy too (one could buy used stuff from there as well; in very good condition).

whenever i happen to go to andheri, i just carry whatever e-waste i've accumulated & give it to eco-reco's office. there they ask you what is the waste, weigh the bundle, & give you a 'commendation-letter'. their pick-up service is i guess only for bulkier waste.
Thanks.Will look into that.

Sell it to your local scrap dealer. It's fast, hassle free and you'll get paid as well. That's what i always do.
Does it end up being recycled properly? I assumed not. Otherwise, that is the most convenient option.

Thanks to advice by a TE member @hawk128 , I recently sold an old mobile on https://www.reglobe.in/.
Good service.

for selling off gadgets like phones, tabs, laptops, PMPs, etc., there's webuy too (one could buy used stuff from there as well; in very good condition).
Thanks to you both. Will keep both of those options in mind for the future. If only there was something similar for desktop scrap.

Does it end up being recycled properly? I assumed not. Otherwise, that is the most convenient option.

It's not easy to find e-waste dealers in every part of our country. I also tried some time
back but gave up. You can also ask your scrap dealer what will happen to your old electronics. Will he sell it to end user or maybe an e-waste dealer. If your priority is to simply get rid of your old electronics you can give it to your scrap dealer or if you want proper disposal find an e-waste dealer if it’s not too far from your place, it’s your choice.

Sold my 2 non-working CRT monitors for Rs.600 a piece at a scrap shop at Nehru Place.
Advantage of such shops is that they pay you for the component you bring whereas a general scrapper will offer you money per kg.

How to locate such shops in NP? Are there any signboards saying so?
Wasn't trying to find it as such. There was this scrap shop and I just asked the rates for a monitor and he quoted 600.

Its name was 'Anas Scrap Shop'. It is on the way to the entrance to nehru place when you come from metro station. There is a small parking near the backside of the NP which is also the parking for Satyam Cineplex.

Back