How to find an IP address?

Guys i want to know something :
Is there any possibility of finding of yahoo IM IP address from which i got a sms :
story is like this :

I got a sms from a user id say "astalavista@yahoo.com"...i strongly suspect and 90% sure from where,...i know the sender's service provider which is airtel and the IP address too...!! But i can't access that computer...!!

How can i prove that the sms is from the same computer / person's yahoo messenger ID?

Guys it may seem funny...but my friend's life is in trouble...and it is a friend..not me...whom i know really well!!
Please help me out guys...please :(

Re: How to find an IP address...please help guys..its really very urgent..please

please be more clear, unable to make out

Re: How to find an IP address...please help guys..its really very urgent..please

Its like if if i get a sms from yahoo messenger....all we can see on our mobile screen is a number like 824511 and when we open it, it is like user id: followed by messege

so i got a sms like this having similar number instead of mobile number that we get and message was like

astalavista:i want to meet you

now from that number or that user id, is it possible to track down to that person's IP address? i dont have that person in my friend's list...but i doubt it's from a friend, so i know his service provider which is airtel and his IP address

now can i prove that he has sent that sms? i can not access his pc ...!! hope i am clear friend, if not, tell me where you want me to be clear !!

Trying to find some gals IP & Location , eh :) ?

Used to work before while doing file transfer, dont work anymore.

Praks said:
Trying to find some gals IP & Location , eh :) ?

Used to work before while doing file transfer, dont work anymore.
nope yaar...are you sure it doesnt any more?? and why?

actually it is far more serious my friend .... some one's life would be bad .... that's why i am real worried !!

You cannot receive an SMS from an IP address. If the user used yahoo messenger to send an SMS then yahoo will have the user's IP logs.
the police will help if you have a genuine case. Try mailing to the nearest cybercrime cell. some locations and addresses/phone numbers are in the link.
Cyber Crime Police Stations India - Shoeb Hakim

OTOH if you are trying to do anything "funny", do not expect any help here.

pr0ing said:
You cannot receive an SMS from an IP address. If the user used yahoo messenger to send an SMS then yahoo will have the user's IP logs.

the police will help if you have a genuine case. Try mailing to the nearest cybercrime cell. some locations and addresses/phone numbers are in the link.

Cyber Crime Police Stations India - Shoeb Hakim

OTOH if you are trying to do anything "funny", do not expect any help here.

nope my friend, of-course not, but other than police...i don't think any one can access the web servers of yahoo, right?

i mean in that case...sender of the sms is safe...until a police complaint or official FIR is registered, it can not be tracked down at personal level or without taking help from cops....m i right??

so in short, i can't decide the sender even though i have his IP address, without approaching cops....as i can not have access to yahoo servers at personal level.??

If like you say it really is a matter of life and death, contact the authorities. Once you register your case they will contact Yahoo and get all the details you need..

The Cyber cell is supposed to be better than the regular cops in terms of behavior etc...

Yea. you post a thread in a random forum. and post a request to strangers and one of em will give/allow access to yahoo's server. :S.

If you are serious complain to police. Else This is just some trivial matter.

Nope guys, it's not a legal matter rather a family matter or so..!!

I am sure that it won't go till the cops....but friend of mine is worried..and she doesn't know anythng about it....!!

I know that no one at personal level can access yahoo server but cyber crime cell....but just want to make sure that no one other than cyber crime cell can detect it..!!

and by life i meant...it's the relation of her...

your friend has send obscene sms to someone and u want to know that even if that someone has your friend's IP .... without cyber cell assistance or yahoo's help that someone cannot track your friend .... right?

Jus remember if that someone registers a police complaint ..... YOU or YOUR FRIEND whoever it is WILL BE SCREWED.

your posts are confusing.

swapyworld said:
....but friend of mine is worried..and she doesn't know anythng about it....!!
If she doesn't know anything about it, why is she worried?

swapyworld said:
I know that no one at personal level can access yahoo server but cyber crime cell....but just want to make sure that no one other than cyber crime cell can detect it..!!
If you want something done and the cyber crime cell is the only legal way to do it, that is the only suggetion that you will get here.

Which cellphone is she using?

If its a smartphone--symbian/android/windows then there are lots of tools on the net to block such sms/spam.:)

If you have trouble finding them, i can help you. Else contact cyber cell branch in your city.

These are the only two options wisely opened for you/your friend--either deal with it or simple avoid it.;)

pr0ing said:
your posts are confusing.

If she doesn't know anything about it, why is she worried?

If you want something done and the cyber crime cell is the only legal way to do it, that is the only suggetion that you will get here.

she doesn't know about whether he can track an IP address or not...she is a nice girl and i told her it can not be done..

but i wanted to make sure...it was something...i am online now...would you come online? that kinda of message my friend

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ronit said:
Which cellphone is she using?

If its a smartphone--symbian/android/windows then there are lots of tools on the net to block such sms/spam.:)

If you have trouble finding them, i can help you. Else contact cyber cell branch in your city.

These are the only two options wisely opened for you/your friend--either deal with it or simple avoid it.;)

my friend she is used yahoo messenger to send sms and by mistake she sent it to her fiance ...and he thinks that she talks to every tom dick n harry !! i don't know why she still want to go with him, that's her look out but that's the problem...if her parents find out then would be the problem...!!

escaflowne said:
your friend has send obscene sms to someone and u want to know that even if that someone has your friend's IP .... without cyber cell assistance or yahoo's help that someone cannot track your friend .... right?

Jus remember if that someone registers a police complaint ..... YOU or YOUR FRIEND whoever it is WILL BE SCREWED.

It's a normal sms as i have mentioned my friend...but the reason is that...he is her fiance which is very suspicious kind of !!!

so he can't go to cyber crime cell for such sms...then there are no other chances right?? that's what i wanted to make sure.....!!

the suspicious fiancé adds a new twist to your ever expanding story.

Your question has already been answered. As ronit said either deal with it or simple avoid it.
There is nothing you can do about it now.

pr0ing said:
the suspicious fiancé adds a new twist to your ever expanding story.

Your question has already been answered. As ronit said either deal with it or simple avoid it.

There is nothing you can do about it now.
Dude, i aint here to make you hear any stories...you are free to avoid it as you just said...!!!

another thing, even i know it's not possible for an individual even who is working with yahoo...to track down the log list on yahoo server for specific regions ..

I am here to make it sure, so that i don't give someone false information, and if you think it's funny...you can have a laugh and ignore it...thanks for your help..!!

kartikoli said:
hmmm... i still can figure out what u want to know

if u are too worried then send a mail to that email ID and try to get bak a mail

now u can track the IP address of the sender

How to see email headers on Yahoo Gmail and Hotmail

hope it helps

Thanks for the link my friend. But my question was different. From a sms that i got from Yahoo messenger along with user id, can i track down the ip? i don't have any other source...just from that sms and user id...that's it...!!

@ All

Thank you very much for the help guys...really appreciate it.

You just made me sure about it, that no individual can track ip for sms...except cyber crime cell...... :)

Thanks once again !!!

swapyworld said:
Dude, i aint here to make you hear any stories...you are free to avoid it as you just said...!!!

another thing, even i know it's not possible for an individual even who is working with yahoo...to track down the log list on yahoo server for specific regions ..

I am here to make it sure, so that i don't give someone false information, and if you think it's funny...you can have a laugh and ignore it...thanks for your help..!!

Thanks for the link my friend. But my question was different. From a sms that i got from Yahoo messenger along with user id, can i track down the ip? i don't have any other source...just from that sms and user id...that's it...!!

@ All

Thank you very much for the help guys...really appreciate it.

You just made me sure about it, that no individual can track ip for sms...except cyber crime cell...... :)

Thanks once again !!!
you have posted the email id on the opening post so use that to track his IP .... anyway the username itself is a short form of an email ID

if u dont want to go to the police then write to yahoo india about the incident and see if they are convinced then they can assist you
Fahrenheit said:
No, not necessarily. Anything sent from the internet can definitely be tracked albeit illegally.
absolutely correct

one of my friend is working with an private cyber security agency and he told me that some time to catch a hacker they too have to hack things [with the consent of police for sure]
even govm. cyber agencies ask them to assist them

^^ I believe the concern here is not finding the userid... but more about making sure someone doesn't find your id...

From what I can gather from his posts is that the OP is concerned that a friend of his might get into trouble for a SMS message sent over yahoo to mobile (although I find it weird that girl is worried if she sent a msg to her own fiance unless she mentioned some other guy's name in tht msg :p)

Back