How to get an Indian SIM ( Airtel) with a Czech Republic passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
I don't have any aadhar or PAN card ( or any Indian ID)
I live in Czech Republic presently in India. The only documents I have: Passport ( Czech)
Driving licence (Valid in most of EU, don't know the legalities, but traffic cops let me get away with it)
An ID card issued from WHO, Geneva office.
Can I get an Airtel SIM to be used for month or so.
Presently I am managing with a T-Mobile SIM, for both data and international calls, but expecting a huge bill.
Kolkata is in lockdown, that's a major obstacle.
Local people have generously offered their 2nd SIM. If I can't get one for myself, that's the only option.

The kiosk at Mumbai airport was closed.
For tourists ( even if you were born in India) everything is twisted...we are not criminals FFS!!

Indian citizens who never left the country have to prove own identity in-front of various govt. authorities every now and then, even to get basic amenities.
Correcting data in the world's so called most advanced digitized identity card 'aadhar' itself sometimes is a circus to preserve self respect.

So when someone from India becomes a citizen of a different country then they give up their Indian citizenship?

In that case just borrow the SIM.

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) / Persons of Indian Origin Card (PIO Card), etc. can help in this case, I hope.

Even otherwise, tourists are provided temporary SIMs. Only have to reach mobile service provider's office and provide required documents.

Last edited:
Just ask one of your colleagues or relatives to get you a sim for temporary usage for the period you are here.
Or they can buy a new Sim for you in their own name provided you tie have a good relationship and rapport.

The other way which is not suggested would be, pay up a local mobile dealer something extra and explain your current predicament , they may have a way for you

But i would still root for the first route

Officially you cannot get a SIM under your name with those documents.
Only option is to ask your local close aids or relatives to get a prepaid SIM under their name.

India doesn't support 'dual citizenship'.

As for the topic on hand, just borrow a SIM from a local. This is what I do for my friends who come from abroad as well as it is the easiest way out.
lol… i had passport and permanent address in india and aadhar card. didn’t work when i was in india (aadhar verification wont succeed). finally gave up and borrowed a sim from uncle at restaurant. indian bureaucracy is ridiculous.

@red dragon Stop wasting time. borrow a SIM/ ask local friend to get it for you.

Specially, Maharashtra forget about it, being an Indian i was denied a SIM earlier this year when i was there for few months. They need Aadhar card with local address, no other document accepted.
Bangalore, is much better compared to rest of the states, show voter ID and get SIM no question asked my wife recently got a sim (for throwaway usage) just by showing her WB voter ID.
use this site- if its available in your city - https://10digi.com/ i had good experience with them in bangalore.

indian bureaucracy is ridiculous.
NO you are not getting it. except modijee everyone is "suspected" Pakistani agent. National security is most important.

Last edited:
I don't have any aadhar or PAN card ( or any Indian ID)
I live in Czech Republic presently in India. The only documents I have: Passport ( Czech)
Driving licence (Valid in most of EU, don't know the legalities, but traffic cops let me get away with it)
An ID card issued from WHO, Geneva office.
Can I get an Airtel SIM to be used for month or so.
Presently I am managing with a T-Mobile SIM, for both data and international calls, but expecting a huge bill.
Kolkata is in lockdown, that's a major obstacle.
Local people have generously offered their 2nd SIM. If I can't get one for myself, that's the only option.
These are documents that are required for getting a SIM card. You can ask a local TMC councilor to give you a address certificate.

If you were born in India, shouldn't you have dual citizenship?
No mate, only famous people can get that privilege. It's extremely difficult to get a ****ing SIM card.
I had an Indian number (Jio) but left it in a hurry. Don't remember how I managed that. The local councilor will arrange for 3 SIM cards for us by tomorrow in his name.
Just don't understand the policies here. Yes, we are not Indian citizens, but we are on valid visas, valid licences to practice medicine, have spent close to 2 million INR ( everyone combined, and don't mind to spend another 10-15 or more if required) in medicines, equipments, nursing staff salaries etc.etc. Yet India refuses to issue us a 100-200 INR SIM card ( of course we are not asking it for free)
At this point in life I've been to MANY countries, never faced this kind of stupid issues.
State Government has no problems with anything, CM was ready to write a letter for proof of residence, but GOI is trying to create a roadblocks at every step ( Someone from Airtel ..some nodal officer or something wrote us an email of apology stating they are ready to issue as many SIM cards as we need, but due to GOI protocol they can't)
Just don't understand why they think we are anti BJP.
We had no intention of coming to Bengal only, in fact given a chance, we are still ready to go to the worst affected villages/ towns in any state. But if the central government/ ICMR do not reply to any emails, what choices did we have? I only had CM Banerjee's and Alapan's email ID beside some ICMR officials (one of them gave us emails of PM's chief of staff and some critically placed Babu's..none of them even had the courtesy of replying e-mails from WHO's official email IDs)
Now we are TMC sympathizers...what options did we have?
GOI didn't even request WHO once to send manpower ( even Trump did!!!)
Whatever/ whoever you see in television as WHO representatives, have never been to Geneva. They have no connection with WHO.
Sorry for the rant, I'm kind of hurt and feel kind of humiliated in front of my friends..to them I'm an Indian...it's stupid of me, I know..

99% those Airtel officials were lying or as average Indians in such places are totally unaware of what they are talking about, but will enforce it. Tourists are entitled for 90days valid SIM cards, million+ tourists visiting India use it.

There are provisions for people without aadhar card, for eg., those with Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) / Persons of Indian Origin Card (PIO Card) have different procedures. Now, not sure about situation in WB specifically due to rampant illegal migrant issue there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back