CPU/Mobo how to go about cleaning excess thermal paste

aku

Recruit
while replacing the thermal past on my cpu i seem to have added too much and some amount of thermal paste is sticking on the side of the IHS..

1. how do i go about cleaning the excess thermal paste?
2. do i leave it as is till the next time i have to replace thermal paste?

1. how do i go about cleaning the excess thermal paste?
Collect it using the spatula (included with the paste) or the edges of an old credit card or anything plastic and flexible for that matter.
Use a toothpick or something even.

2. do i leave it as is till the next time i have to replace thermal paste?
You can.
But,
If you've already put on excess paste , more will squeeze out once you install the cooler.
It'll just make a mess.
You probably don't want that excess paste anywhere near the PINs or socket.

First of all its always better to be safe than sorry. You only a rice grain sized tiny paste and not a toothpaste type to brush the processor.

i had put in the form of a X looking at some youtube video... ended up applying too much.. cleaned it carefully and now reapplied it as a tiny amount..
thanks for the info..

i had put in the form of a X looking at some youtube video... ended up applying too much.. cleaned it carefully and now reapplied it as a tiny amount..
thanks for the info..
X or + is fine but it should be a very thin line else there are oozing-off chances which again is very challenging given the current nature of huge heat sinks and circuitry.

Buy thermal paste cleaners If you want peace of mind. Or you can use Mr Muscle Kitchen Cleaner if you already have it in your home. Thermal paste cleaners smell like oranges and lemons to me... so they must have some d-limonene. As d-limonene is used in many cleaners, you can buy it separately for other cleaning purposes at well.

So, wipe off the excess paste with something containing d-limonene and then finish off with IPA 99%.

thanks for the info..

Don't worry too much, people seem to exaggerate.
It doesn't matter much as long as paste is not conductive ( normally isnt - shouldn't have metal stuff) and its better to apply extra paste rather than not enough paste.

In my older processor i did X style, it worked well.

With new processor ( 7800x3d), the paste from cpu cooler was viscous and became a bit of mess instead of X. I just evened it out with a non static spatula and called it a day.
Pressure from cpu cooler anyway thins everything out well enough.

To clean, 99% isoproyl alcohol and a microfibre cloth is enough. Also if paste was applied long ago, then better to warm it up by stress testing cpu first. Avoids risk of cpu sticking to the cooler due to paste.

I have applied paste once for each cpu and so far have never had to replace it, ~3 years for first cpu ( used deepcool paste that came with cooler). Might have to do that if it dries up ( will know via temps for a dust free pc)

Last edited:
Back