Android How to log out of WhatsApp account on primary device?

6pack

ex-Mod
I want to format my phone and there is no logout for WhatsApp. Last time i had to uninstall wa and it made me wait for 2-3 days before i could add account back to my phone.

I want to format my phone and there is no logout for WhatsApp. Last time i had to uninstall wa and it made me wait for 2-3 days before i could add account back to my phone.
I have installed and reinstalled WA a number of times across multiple phones with backup and restore. I have never faced a situation of having to wait like that. Restoring the backup takes time though depending on the size.

I have installed and reinstalled WA a number of times across multiple phones with backup and restore. I have never faced a situation of having to wait like that. Restoring the backup takes time though depending on the size.
What steps do you take while performing that backup and restore method? I have WA only on one phone. I don't have Windows PC to take backup.

Do u want to reinstall whatapp again? I don't think so there is some logout option for WhatsApp. U can uninstall WhatsApp or delete ur account.
I normally do as below when required -
1. Use local backup option of WhatsApp (include videos)
2. It will create backup file named msgstore.db.crypt14 in WhatsApp/database folder
3. Store that file safely (in some different phone or pc)
4. Just uninstall WhatsApp or format the phone
5. install WhatsApp, place the backup file u created in #2 and open the app.
6. App tries to find backup file locally, if not, then on gdrive and restore the data

I use local backup and restore since it's faster

Hope this helps

There's no option of local backup for my phone. It only shows Google drive backup option.

In Android 13, there's no WhatsApp folder in root of drive. Everything goes in Android/data and we can't browse that folder through any file manager.
I was referring to WA own Gdrive backup and restore functionality -
Oh. I have taken gdrive backup. What I'm saying is, if i uninstall WhatsApp now and format the phone, and install WhatsApp again, it asks for mobile number. Then after putting the mobile number it won't allow you to create an account till some cooling time is over. This is around 2 days to a week.

Last edited:
There's no option of local backup for my phone. It only shows Google drive backup option.

In Android 13, there's no WhatsApp folder in root of drive. Everything goes in Android/data and we can't browse that folder through any file manager.
When u do backup, it first goes into local space, from there, goes into gdrive. Restore from gdrive also works fine

Check if u can access this - Android/media/com.whataspp

I can see but am on Android11.
Others with A13 can pitch in the ideas.

Back