How to make offline backup/sync of your cloud storage?

D C

Adept
I would like to make offline copy on my onedrive storage, almost half filled now. Mostly it's photos library backups from phone and book pdfs.

Onedrive web interface is quite laggy and not many sort options to find stuff quickly.
Onedrive app for windows is very limited in terms of configuration (need to unlink, have to move the windows created onedrive folder to change download location, then relink).
Haven't tried onedrive mac app.
Downloading stuff manually takes a lot of time and high chances of interrupting downloads, slow and steady sync is better.

Most cloud sync software (rclone, rsync etc) do local --> cloud syncing.
I want to sync from cloud --> offline (only cloud changes are synced, offline changes shouldn't change cloud stuff)
Any user friendly alternatives for them?

Thanks!

These cloud cons of slow speeds and sorting stuff and loading things even on high connections always gives massive preference to offline backup.
Imagine what if isp is down and you immediate need those pics/videos etc.? I know onedrive sync is there but still its eating that space on your hard drive as well as online and not to mention those heft file sized snaps and videos running into gbs... where I can seamlessly copy 50gbs of videos in no time to my offline hard drives and the so call cloud takes it very sweet time coupled wit those interruptions.

Now many will say cloud is safer and hassle-free but ask me who is maintaining professionally categorized albums since 2 decades is not at all an easy job. To simply put, 2tb+worth of valuable data online which again isnt hassle free for cloud.

So safest and best bet is to maintain few offline copies of same data and have them in sync.

Cloud is good but in some scenarios the old-gold ways always wins is preferably the most convenient option.

Took whole of today to learn how rclone works. Tried it on a windows laptop, making mistakes as to what to type for source and destination. Got the basics of copy and sync command by hit and trial. GUI wasn’t particularly helpful.

I think I got rclone copy command working on windows. Still getting very slow speeds(old laptop, on Wi-Fi, downloading to external disk). Says eta is about a week.

I’ll set it up on my pi tomorrow to run 24x7.

Doesn't this seem to be a good GUI (has a version for Pi as well) -
I have no personal experience though

Last edited:
Doesn't this seem to be a good GUI (has a cersion for Pi as well) -
I have no personal experience though
I tried that for windows. Couldn’t figure out how to copy or sync in GUI(imagine not being able to figure out a GUI).

Got the command line working, downloaded about 20gb in last 4 hours.

Will resume that on my pi(hopefully rclone can figure out what’s done).

Try slightly altering the parameters on rclone, the speed can vary by factor of 10-20 depending upon how it's set ( use "-P" to view progress and speed)
Have only used google drive with it but with chunk size as 512M and 16 threads (checkers) can max out gigabit connection at home
You would be rarely limited by your internet connection using these big name cloud providers, for example with just a bit of tuning could get a cloud provider to download at 300 MB/s

Screenshot (59).png

Try slightly altering the parameters on rclone, the speed can vary by factor of 10-20 depending upon how it's set ( use "-P" to view progress and speed)
Have only used google drive with it but with chunk size as 512M and 16 threads (checkers) can max out gigabit connection at home
You would be rarely limited by your internet connection using these big name cloud providers, for example with just a bit of tuning could get a cloud provider to download at 300 MB/s

View attachment 128133
I have set it on my pi3b, but it’s showing low voltage warning with the external hdd.
No funny stuff or shutdowns as of now.

I used -
rclone copy -P onedriveremote:/ /media/pi/externalhdd/

Has been going for two days straight. Slow but steady.

Back