Storage Solutions How to merge free space with C drive(windows 7)

PFA, my partitions below. I am running short of space on c drive and I have a free space of 70gb. Is it possible by any means to merge this with my C drive. I went through some of the threads in the forum and tried out EaseUS software trying to merge them but I couldn't. Can anyone help me with suggestions?
Thanks..

Attachments

• converging free space.jpg
    converging free space.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 116
You can't. You need free contiguous disk space. Not free space divided by partitions in between.
You can try copying all the contents of D to that free space after making it a logical partition. Then use windows built in disk management to extend c drive. You won't get 70GB but around the 40GB of D.

According to the help manual of this software, it need not be contiguous. Non-adjacent space can be merged. You could try this. What was the error you got with EaseUS?

BTW, it isn't a freeware. Not sure how good the demo works. There is a free version. Whether it has the functionality to solve your problems, you will have to try and see.

I used Easeus for my new laptop. Its easy to make partitions, move, re size etc.

From the pic you posted, it will take some time to move the data. Make sure power won`t cut off during data moving, might damage the disk (happened to me once).

You can't merge a primary and extended partition. In this case you need to shrink your 'extended partition' (the dark green box) so that the free space is unallocated. Win 7's disk management tool probably can't do this. Make a Gparted live disk.

Use EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition its a full version from official website.
But remember, You can only merge your C: drive with the adjacent D:\ or the very next partition adjacent to C: no matter iits Primary or Logical.

Try it and it will surely work. You EaseUS will reboot your system to perform the merging.

According to the help manual of this software, it need not be contiguous. Non-adjacent space can be merged. You could try this. What was the error you got with EaseUS?

BTW, it isn't a freeware. Not sure how good the demo works. There is a free version. Whether it has the functionality to solve your problems, you will have to try and see.
It grayed out while trying to merge C drive with free space. And some functionality were lacking being a freeware.

You can't. You need free contiguous disk space. Not free space divided by partitions in between.
You can try copying all the contents of D to that free space after making it a logical partition. Then use windows built in disk management to extend c drive. You won't get 70GB but around the 40GB of D.
I think this was the hard solution offered by majority. So went for it. Managed to get C drive upto 80gb.

If you cannot add space to C drive, then the next best option would be to move the user directory to the free space drive. If more space is still needed, use junction points/symbolic links.

Back