how to run LINUX on XP

There is something called colinux, you may want to look at that. My recommendation is trying VPC 2007

For those of you not in the know, VPC 2007 is developed at Microsoft's bangalore unit...

KingKrool said:
There is something called colinux, you may want to look at that. My recommendation is trying VPC 2007
For those of you not in the know, VPC 2007 is developed at Microsoft's bangalore unit...

VPC 2007 dosent provide default config for linux. all the requirment has to me manually configured :mad: . VPC provides for almost all windows version and OS2. but sadly no linux.

vmware provides some preconfigured linux and sun flavours useful for lazy pl lik me :D

VPC 2007 dosent provide default config for linux. all the requirment has to me manually configured :mad: . VPC provides for almost all windows version and OS2. but sadly no linux.

vmware provides some preconfigured linux and sun flavours useful for lazy pl lik me :D

I had no problems installing Linux on VPC. I did get pissed off with the screen resolution though. That was in VPC 2005, they may have fixed it by now.

What do you need Linux for anyway? You may be able to do with just cygwin depending on your needs..

+1 for VPC 2007 (Free and Easy to use)
Vmware workstation when bought certainly gives you more options.

And VPC couldn't have been developed at Bangalore as Microsoft does not have to my knowledge any development facilities at Bangalore. You mean Hyderabad?

I'm pretty sure I mean Bangalore. At least that is what the chief architect of VPC (in Redmond) told me... My recollection may be wrong, but I am almost certain it was Bangalore.

KingKrool said:
I'm pretty sure I mean Bangalore. At least that is what the chief architect of VPC (in Redmond) told me... My recollection may be wrong, but I am almost certain it was Bangalore.

He He. Bangalore is purely a support centre. Although there is a little research centre too, MS Research is totally seperated from the other part of the company. Hyderabad is the development Centre as of now in India. I'm 110% on that. Anyway let's leave it at that :)

If it was developed in India, I love it. I use VPC all the time. Infact all of my XP Usage has now moved to VPC. Woot !!!!

Glad to hear that. I think VPC 2003 was developed in the US, but since then all (or nearly all) dev has been in India. At any rate, VPC 2007 should have a significant Indian component in it...

but even though i suggest to go for vmware instead of VPC.
dont see ki vpc is free

u can download a crack for vmware too nd njoy multiple os on ur PC

This is the best free alternative to vmware workstation.

VirtualBox

innotek VirtualBox is a family of powerful x86 virtualization products for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). See "About VirtualBox" for an introduction; see "innotek" for more about our company.

Presently, VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux and Macintosh hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems including but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista), DOS/Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4 and 2.6), and OpenBSD.

Download: Downloads - VirtualBox

Screenshots: Screenshots - VirtualBox

Thing is Virtual Box is based on KQEMU. It is reportedly a bit slower than some of the others, though if you understood the QEMU architecture, you would appreciate why.

Back