How to start a forum

gigy

Disciple
Hi all, Can anybody guide me with what's needs to start a forum. Its going to be a private one in friends group of 150 guys.

Do i need to take support from software guys or is there any software which can make the process easy. A free one will be prefered. will be thankful for a follow the step by step guide. Want it to work with windows and tapatalk. What's the additional cost involved?

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

First you need a domain name if it really matters to you or you can get some free domains . phpBB is a easy to use forum software it supports tapatalk too. You have other options like myBB , simple machines but i dont know if they have tapatalk. You have to buy hosting space which may cost you around rs 1000 per year for a quality hosting provider.

I am not sure if Tapatalk support here matters since he is looking for something free and enabling Tapatalk costs the site host.

I am not sure if Tapatalk support here matters since he is looking for something free and enabling Tapatalk costs the site host.
Tapatalk is free for forum host. They charge for premium branding ($1000) and app from members.($2 or something)

Thank you all for the support.

I have very limited knowledge with this process, hence trying to learn

I will download phpBB, then get a domain name and hosting space. will integrating all these be a auto process?

How much and where to get domain name and hosting space. what are the recommended options?

Ok to spend Few thousand rupees if required for reliability and ease.

Going through http://www.top10webhosting.com/

HostGator is a good company for hosting & you can but domain from bigrock or if you have a paypal account you can go for namecheap . #Renegade can answer about tapatalk integration.

Automatic installation of phpBB is through cpanel/fantastico so every host will have it.

Tapatalk is easy to install. You just upload the tapatalk folder to the root and it will work.

If justhost is already a proven one, I will go with it. Have to start it running by monday morning. The contents and members are already ready

A 12 month plan is costing 45$

should I opt for - Domain Whois Privacy: at 10$ and daily backup for 20$ extra, or can these be ignored for now?

• You can check my forum - http://readersenclave.com/ It is running on mybb & has both tapatalk & forum runner support. And also mobile theme for those who cannot afford tapatalk. Visit the site from your mobile, you know what I am talking about
    <
    Tapatalk or forum runner, both for free for forum admins. End users have to buy it from appstore for 2USD or so. If you want to provide free version to all your visitors, then you can go branding free version. It costs around 3000 USD or so, [check Tapatalk / FR site].
  • Will be private forum for only 150 members ? or any plans to expand it later ? If you plan to expand it, then go with a very good host.
  • If the domain name is .in then go with Mitsu, if it is .com/.org/.net then Namecheap.
  • For hosting, I only could have provided you one in my hosting
    <
    but it is still in beta mode
    <
    I suggest you to go with HostGator, they are good. No other hosting providers come near to HG in terms of support
  • Go with daily back up, if you are new to hosting & stuff. And also no headache of taking backups daily
    <
    Domain/Whois privacy just means, your identity will be hidden on whois database. Whois database is a pace where you can find info regarding domains. So if you enable privacy for domain, then your personal details won't show up on whois database. So it depends on you, though I personally prefer whois privacy.
  • Lastly, go with Mybb eyes closed. They have tons of themes to chose from & more than 500+ plugins. And also their community support is just great !!

Done with justhost as of now. things are up and running in basic mode. have to figure out how to get in the logo and change looks

Do update on what and all you did to get the forum up and running and the price too, I am looking to start a forum in future, will be helpful.
<

• You can check my forum - http://readersenclave.com/ It is running on mybb & has both tapatalk & forum runner support. And also mobile theme for those who cannot afford tapatalk. Visit the site from your mobile, you know what I am talking about
    <
    Tapatalk or forum runner, both for free for forum admins. End users have to buy it from appstore for 2USD or so. If you want to provide free version to all your visitors, then you can go branding free version. It costs around 3000 USD or so, [check Tapatalk / FR site].

How did you enable Tapatalk support and mobile layout? Any special theme you have to use for mobile?

PS: Interesting content on your forum buddy.
<

Back