How to stream CCTV RTSP feed to DLNA to view on TV media player app?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
I have a few TPLink TAPO CCTV wifi cameras like the C210 and C320WS which I mistakenly thought could only be viewed with the TAPO phone app.

Came across some webpages/articles (including FAQs on tplink website itself) that mention you can open the video feeds in apps like VLC with URL
Code:
rtsp://username:password@ip:554/stream1
for the high-def video feed and this works well on PC and TV if I save the camera feed links in a playlist on a USB attached to the TV so that VLC can open the playlist. Haven't tried looking for other apps.

My question is - I have a NUC with linux - can I use some tool (like VLC command line, FFMPEG or RCLONE etc) to directly stream/transcode the RTSP feed and serve as DLNA so that the built-in TV media player can view it directly?

So far from what I can see online, you first capture the RTSP feed to a file (using VLC or FFMPEG) then use another tool (I use RCLONE.org) to serve as DLNA stream which the TVs can view...

Any ideas if this is possible and how?

I suppose some on-the-fly conversion will always be involved ?
If Chromecast is available on your TV, then -

you sure DLNA is the best way considering issues with upnp? also why not try something like zoneminder? considering if the tv is smart enough to connect to a stream url, it should be possible to connect to zoneminder's stream as well

Back