How to use 2 connections with Single Router?

Emperor

Skilled
Hello Friends,

Is there any way to Use Single Router with 2 different connections from different service providers.:ashamed: I plan to use one at a time i.e. when other is down.

Thanks

SunnyBoi said:
AFAIK not possible unless you switch cables manually when one link is down :p

I'm happy to do it manually :) , but how to do is BIG question for me, I think its not just Cable plug in & plug out :ashamed:

there are many routers available who readily allows twin isp connections to even boost the need of the bandwidth sometimes..so both can be used multiply and automatically.

check netgear website, i've seen some stuff like that

coolraghav said:
there are many routers available who readily allows twin isp connections to even boost the need of the bandwidth sometimes..so both can be used multiply and automatically.

check netgear website, i've seen some stuff like that

I already have 1 router, but the second connection I subscribed for is not very popular in city & just launched so I first like to monitor speed/service etc., but for this CHECKING not going to buy NEW ROUTER.

So here looking for any Tech. solution so can check the Net.:)

Get a Linksys RV042 or some other such dual WAN router. You can configure it to use the second connection as a backup or to combine the bandwidth of both connections.

Thanks for replies... really no help at all :(
I connect second line (1st line disconnection requires) & some changes in Router Settings with the help of Service Provider. :)

If your router supports 'metric' routing that it can be done. Its a common feature in most cisco routers. However I am not much experienced with SOHO routers.

For instance a routing entry is like this (on a PC)

'RemoteNet' mask 'RemoteMask' 'Gateway' 'Interface' 'Metric'
203.200.199.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 1
203.200.199.0 = RemoteNet
mask = mask (required keyword)
255.255.255.0 = Remote Subnet
192.168.0.1 = the ip of the device on ur network which is your gateway for this network, in this case IP of the interface of your router connected to ISP1
1 = Metric (used to either denote hop count or simply to denote how close the remote network is to your router. THIS is the parameter that is to be used to priorotise routing also to swicth to other route if this one fails

for ex:

0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 1
0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.2 100

The above 2 routing entries are both routing to 0.0.0.0 (everything else or simply everything/internet for all practical purposes)

The first route uses the device/ip 192.168.0.1 with a metric 1. So this would be the route (isp) that is used for all outbound/inbound traffic.

The second route also points to the same remote network which is 0.0.0.0 so between these 2 routes the one with metric 1 (lower number) takes precedence and routes all traffic as long as 192.168.0.1 (gateway 1) is reachable. The moment it is down the second route kicks in and starts routing traffic to the second interface/ISP.

As you can see, this assumes that your router has atleast 2 wan interfaces which can 'physically' connect both ISPs even though only one is used at a time.

Hope this helps.

you can create a bridge account in your router and create two dialers for different accounts and switch the wire when you want to change and use the correct dialer accordingly

Back