HP Pavilion, no option to boot from USB

I am setting up a new HP Pavilion laptop and it comes with Windows 10, which is fine. But I want to install Ubuntu as a dual boot but there is no option to boot from USB during startup. It simply loads the Windows loading circle.

Is it possible to set up dual boot ? If yes, please tell me how. Thanks.

There will probably be an option in bios to set up boot drive. Keep USB plugged in (even if there is no os on it), go to BIOS, and look around for some option as above. Set primary boot drive to USB and internal ssd/hdd storage.
Google your laptop model to see how to enter BIOS, or if there's a boot menu.

Press ESC repeatedly during power on to get boot choice menu... F9 to display list where you can pick your pen drive...

If it doesn't show the usb stick, double check it is properly flashed.

Which laptop model is it? I bought pavilion 14 model dv0054tu with core i5 11th gen and 16gb 512gb and its pretty awesome

Well, once this happened with one of the laptops I was given by someone. The thing which I came to know was that it was due to Fast boot being enabled in Win10. If you have that enabled and you shut down (not restart) it just skips past the BIOS screen next time you boot your PC or at least in my case it was that. So either boot into windows and then restart your PC using start menu option or disable that setting by using cmd (admin)
Bash:
powercfg -h off
and then keep pressing ESC until you end up seeing the BIOS menu/options screen. You could also tap F9 to directly open the boot options.
Make sure the USB device you created supports booting on UEFI only systems if it's a modern laptop which I assume it is since it has preinstalled Win10.

I always disable fast boot in win10 too but always forget to inform others about it...

BTW here is my thread for my laptop...

Thanks all. F9 works. I will try Esc too. It is HP Pavilion. I do not know the model number now.

20.04 does not work, but 21.04 works. Both do not see WiFi hardware. But Fedora 34 does. Same with Kubuntu 20.04.

There is considerable screen bleeding. I talked to HP support and they say it is natural for LCD. It was delivered today. Should I press for a Replacement ?

This was an infuriating issue to me. I was trying to fix a linux install from bootable USB.

Nothing worked, I had the USB menu, boot priority set up, nothing worked. Until I unplugged the mouse, then I was able to boot from USB (and only from one USB port). So definitely see if you have anything connected but the USB boot drive, if so, remove them.

Hope this might help someone else with this issue, I spent more then a day trying to figure out why it only booted to HDD Grub and nothing else.

Back