PC Peripherals HP ScanJet 6300C Problems

Hi
I was gifted an old HP ScanJet 6300C by a relative.

I installed the software on the disc and followed the instructions.

After which i plugged in the scanner using the USB connector. The scanner was detected properly. The lamp turns on and the scanner makes a small grinding noise.

Now there are two things.
1. The lamp turns on and makes a few grinding noises.
2. The lamp when on doesnt scan/go down to the bottom of the glass and return on top. It just stays on top itself moving little.

I did try the troubleshooting in the manual and have also unlocked as per whats given. Unfortunately, the scanning software gets stuck at the "Warming Lamp phase" and refuses to go further.

The buttons do work but i am presented with a dialog box which asks me the app i wanna use to scan. I select the app and thats the end. Nothing happens...the dialog box stays.

The lamp of the scanner is always on.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers and the software. And also clean installation of the same after uninstalling the drivers + the software.

System Specs:
All the usual stuff that comes in the installation CD of HP (will list the softwares if required), Windows XP SP2.
Is the scanner kaput??? I dont think so...if it moves even a bit means the prob lies somewhere else.
Is this a software issue??? I doubt it.
Is the lock of the scanner stuck??? Possible....but i locked and unlocked it...and heard the click sound as directed in the manual.
Is the USB port not working?? Impossible...coz the scanner is detected correctly. Also i did connect to multiple USB Ports.

Any help will be appreciated.

Back