Audio HT setup for 40-50k. Advice Needed

Hi everyone,

I went through a few threads regarding various HT setups on TE but I am unable to find a solution for my own query. Need to buy a HT setup for family needs which pertains to TV (Airtel), movies and some music. Audiophile quality output is not a priority but instead it should be be loud enough to satisfy an audience of 10 people.

The room size is a problem since it is double height and a large room as well and the budget is not enough for the same. Kindly suggest what could my best bet in this budget and how should I go around looking for the products.

P.S. From a family point of view any Sony HT would do

If you are from mumbai

Vijay sales in ,mumbai have got the Mission MV8 5.1 Speaker package for 17k only(not sure if the sub is included)

pair it with a good reciever for another ~20k and i think you will have a really good HT setup under 40k

Bro I'm from Lucknow and the only place I can source material is from Delhi. I might be going there mid Nov so if there is anything except Sony that I should have a look, please let me know.

Is there a place in Delhi where I could get the Mission MV8 speakers???

This is the sony component system I'm looking at currently:

HT-DDW5500 : Home Theatre Component System : Home Theatre System : Sony India

Does it provide value at 45k?? I still have 5k left so where do you think they could be spend if go with this system???

if your spendin on a sony audio all i can say is : its a crime..!

visit onkyo n check out their hts .. in your budget you can get 507 dvr+728 speakers.. sounds great.. pair it with a pioneer dvd player for 5k n within 50k uv gt a killer combo tats hard to beat in this price/brand comparison.

beanstalk, I second what Boomshankar has said. You can order from Savoy, they are the dealers for Mission speakers, on ebay. I use a Mission floorstander with surrounds and center and they are quite good for the money you pay. Far better than the Sonys with cheap plasto chrome speakers, to be blunt.

Get an entry level AVR with HD audio decoding like Pioneer vsx 520 for under 20k.

You can get a good dvd player like Pioneer dv220 for 3.5k INR or a WD live or such media player for a little more.

This will be in your budget, upgradable(if you want to) and will give much better performance.

^^^

Insteadof entry level stuff, get a better receiver. Onkyo 508 or Yamaha 467 are available for 24K and 23K resp. Hook up a decent system like the Mission 5.1 as already suggested.

Spending 50K on a Sony system, better donate that money to someone. It'll give you better peace of mind. Do not even think of brands like Samsung, Sony etc when you have a healthy budget.

And if you do not want to get into the mess of selecting individual components, just go and buy the Onkyo 5300. It contains everything you'd need in a grt setup. All under 50K, you get 7.1 channel system, with all the available decoders. Additionally you get Ipod dock as well, if that helps.

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA

Beats the shit out of any SonySamsung system in a similar budget.

^ sorry to disagree(about the sony part) but there are some great sony packages that are THX-select certified and have great performance with competitive price, with good reviews as well. its a fact that it you should research on which ever sony model you are buying, but some models are great. ( cant remember the model but i do remember reading a review on a sony 5.1 + amp giving out great performance.

well i do agree, that you should buy a onkyo/denon/yamaha reciever with a good speaker set like mission MV-DS 5.1, these are selling at great price now-a-days

Recievers that I can squeeze in my budget:

Yamaha 467 / Denon 1311 / Onkyo 508

Speakers: Mission Mv 8

Need some suggestions regarding the above. Usage - TV channels & Movies

If youre gonna get it from delhi, goto chroma, I went to the one in Rajouri Garden, huge outlet.
I have a bose ht and a bose companion at my place, but the other day when I went there to checkout lcds, I found this Yamaha set, AV reciever plus 5 speakers and a sub woofer. And the surround sound on those were Kick ass, I mean if I did not want something that compact and could deal with the wires for the 6 pieces, I wouldve chosen it over my Companion. Incase you want to raise your budget they have a denon setup for about 33k. But my advice, buy the yamaha from there after you audition it. Pair it with a blue ray player or a normal dvd player and youre all set brother.
One suggestion , when you go, carry your own music cd, cause what they will play will in any case be superior in quality to the stuff you will play at home. :)
Hope this helps.

^yeah MV8 5.1 package is better with 2 floorstanders included, great deal go for it

for a home theater set up , if you have 50K , spend it( IF you are in no mood to upgrade in near future), spending 33K and saving 17 K will do you no good , as at 50 K you will get a much better Package

So the above receivers are gonna set me back by almost 22-24k. I am left with around 26k for the speakers. MV8's are 26k and that fills up my budget.

Any other options for 5.1 speakers for 25k (maxing out at 30k).

if your going with the onkyo.. i would still advice pairing it with onkyo speakers itself. Demo the 728 (some here or at hifivision had got them with 507 for 42k) and at that price they sounded like the best option to me!

Although i must admit i have not tried the mission speakers. Any idea where they can be demoed in delhi?

mission mv8 is a very good 5.1 setup ...its very hard to find comparable speakers at 30K ....IMO, they retail at much higher price

So I finally went out for some auditions. Heard the Wharfedale Vardus FS speakers and 9.5 FS and also some Mission HT setup (arnd 25k) with a FS.

Mission HT (Dunno model)- Was OK for movies but did not impress me in terms of music. (23k)

W. Vardus FS - Was better than the Mission's but lacked bass according to me. (16k)

W. 9.5 FS - The best of the lot and most expensive as well. But seemed just perfect. except for the price. (27k)

I think I should go for FS instead of a HT package and may be add something later when I have the moolah. What do you guys think.

Please mention what should be the correct prices for the above speakers so that I can have a general idea about how much should I bargain for.

Regards

always bargain to th max why do you want to shell out more money if you can spend less.

BTW you are liking the sound , so its great go for the one you like most (viz the W. 9.5 FS) do not compromise.

Onkyo speakers are best avoided. They are total rubbish.

I just fell for the HT bug and got an Onkyo TX-SR578 and Paradigm Cinema 90 speaker set. Costed a shade over 50k. The sound quality isn't bad at all for movies.

Back