HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy S???

clown_abhi

Skilled
Hi Guys,

I have been trying to decide for a android mobile phone and am stuck between HTC Desire (with 4GB microSD) and Samsung galaxy S 8GB.

I have gone through numerous reviews and benchmarks (including the ones posted by Lord Nemesis). Well, there is no doubt about the performance of the Galaxy S bcoz of the dedictaed PowerVR SGX540 3D architecture non-existent on any other mobile phones. So video performance and gaming performance will be very good. As for the build quality even though the back is platicy its sturdy and doesn't crek and is not likely to break easily. And the best part - the 4"screen which is the best screen ever.

However, on comparision with HTC desire, the camera is lacking a LED light which doesn not matter much but still!!! HD video recording is present on Samsung which is not in HTC though.
For the 3D performance, the Android Market does not have good 3D games et all. Look at the Avatar game on iphone and on Android. Ut looks utter crap and the iphone one so beautiful inspite of having a lower speed proccy than these behemoths. :( Why is this? Is it bcoz of the variation in the Android phones?

Guys, have anyoe played HD videos on the Desire or other HTC phones. These are not capable to run that i have heard though and the Samsung plays it all.

The one thing that intrigues me is the HTC Sense and how it fares to the new Touchwiz 3...Will it be still dat better to get the Desire over the Samsung?

Android is only just picking up(over an year or so) so application developers are only now beginning to develop games and apps for it whereas AppleOS has a good headstart. Be sure that Android is growing very fast and will certainly catchup with AppleOS in the medium term, and there will be better games and apps developed for it.

Hardware wise Galaxy S is the most advanced currently, even compared to Iphone 4, leave alone desire.

clown_abhi said:
Hi Guys,

I have been trying to decide for a android mobile phone and am stuck between HTC Desire (with 4GB microSD) and Samsung galaxy S 8GB.

I have gone through numerous reviews and benchmarks (including the ones posted by Lord Nemesis). Well, there is no doubt about the performance of the Galaxy S bcoz of the dedictaed PowerVR SGX540 3D architecture non-existent on any other mobile phones. So video performance and gaming performance will be very good. As for the build quality even though the back is platicy its sturdy and doesn't crek and is not likely to break easily. And the best part - the 4"screen which is the best screen ever.

However, on comparision with HTC desire, the camera is lacking a LED light which doesn not matter much but still!!! HD video recording is present on Samsung which is not in HTC though.

For the 3D performance, the Android Market does not have good 3D games et all. Look at the Avatar game on iphone and on Android. Ut looks utter crap and the iphone one so beautiful inspite of having a lower speed proccy than these behemoths. :( Why is this? Is it bcoz of the variation in the Android phones?

Guys, have anyoe played HD videos on the Desire or other HTC phones. These are not capable to run that i have heard though and the Samsung plays it all.

The one thing that intrigues me is the HTC Sense and how it fares to the new Touchwiz 3...Will it be still dat better to get the Desire over the Samsung?
Go for Samsung Galaxy S. on sense ui and touchqiz, these are pleasure to use only till you get hold of Android and then, you will cry for vanilla android UI :)

Galaxy S is definitely more feature rich than Desire and moreover, Desire is not yet launched in India and there is no support yet.

At the moment, there is nothing out there which comes close to the user experience that Sense gives you on android.. None, period.. I know people say its personal taste, but if its slick, fast and easy to use interface you want? there is nothing better than this at the moment.

HTC has another huge positive thing behind it. The developer support. You can basically be rest assured of plenty of custom roms, upgrades, hacks for this phone compared to Samsung. Even if HTC decides to ditch the support for this phone in future, you can be rest assured someone will port new OS build to this phone. And it has better built quality with use of metal instead of plastic like Galaxy S.

Galaxy S on other hand has superior core hardware. But I am afraid samsung is yet to properly support their customers for substantial period. They have kept their users hanging far too many times in the past.

If you look at the hardware, Galaxy S is a no brainer. If you want a more versatile device with better company and community support, wait for Desire to launch here officially ( its not too long )

And BTW, dont go by Avatar game. Its huge download for iPhone and iPod touch. ( easily 15+MB) ANd I am talking about lite demo version for iPod / iPhone.) Full version is 190MB.

Its just 2.1MB version for android which was actually made for low end devices. Its completely different version.

There are game like Homerun battle 3D which actually look better on devices like Nexus one and HTC desire than iPhone / iPod touch.

Shripad said:
At the moment, there is nothing out there which comes close to the user experience that Sense gives you on android.. None, period.. I know people say its personal taste, but if its slick, fast and easy to use interface you want? there is nothing better than this at the moment.

HTC has another huge positive thing behind it. The developer support. You can basically be rest assured of plenty of custom roms, upgrades, hacks for this phone compared to Samsung. Even if HTC decides to ditch the support for this phone in future, you can be rest assured someone will port new OS build to this phone. And it has better built quality with use of metal instead of plastic like Galaxy S.

Galaxy S on other hand has superior core hardware. But I am afraid samsung is yet to properly support their customers for substantial period. They have kept their users hanging far too many times in the past.

If you look at the hardware, Galaxy S is a no brainer. If you want a more versatile device with better company and community support, wait for Desire to launch here officially ( its not too long )

And BTW, dont go by Avatar game. Its huge download for iPhone and iPod touch. ( easily 15+MB) ANd I am talking about lite demo version for iPod / iPhone.) Full version is 190MB.

Its just 2.1MB version for android which was actually made for low end devices. Its completely different version.

There are game like Homerun battle 3D which actually look better on devices like Nexus one and HTC desire than iPhone / iPod touch.
coming to community support, Samsung released source code of Galaxy S's firmware which means that it can very well be modders favourite product.

you can get the source code from here : http://opensource.samsung.com/

That is mandatory requirement. Everyone has to release source code for their android phones.

Just source code is not enough to attract modders support. If Samsung decides not to release drivers for future android version, or delays froyo or does not release it at all, u will be stuck. Desire shares hardware with nexus. This is huge bonus.

desiibond said:
coming to community support, Samsung released source code of Galaxy S's firmware which means that it can very well be modders favourite product.

you can get the source code from here : http://opensource.samsung.com/
Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Just got back from my dealer, the Galaxy S and the Wave launch party is gonna be held tomo in Bangalore(he was invited).. so sales starts from tomorrow, although he had the Wave for sale today itself like in many other places.. :D

sathyanaidu said:
Just got back from my dealer, the Galaxy S and the Wave launch party is gonna be held tomo in Bangalore(he was invited).. so sales starts from tomorrow, although he had the Wave for sale today itself like in many other places.. :D
can you please check where the party is being held and how to register :)

Shripad, the Galaxy S is Samsun's flagship model, so i guess they will not leave it hanging for updates like Froyo. Though the track record of Samsung might look the other way round ;)

I know that the developer support is there for HTC and hence the Flash support, but would it matter once Froyo is released for Samsung?

HTC Sense is good but what does it offer in terms of actual usability which the Touchwiz does not offer, this is exactly wher ei have been breaking my head off?

sathyanaidu said:
I dunno location of the event, just saw the invitation given to the dealer.

Sathyanaidu and desibond, i respect the views of both, but could you guys please avoid off topic talks here?

Desibond, u have a HTC legend? Hows ur experience with the HTC sense?

Shripad said:

I haven't had the opportunity to use HTC Sense personally except for a few minutes, but I have seen a number of videos of Sense in action on Win Mobile as well as Android. I have to say I agree with you. As far as Accessibility and usefulness of the UI is concerned, Sense is as close to perfection as possible. You will not find a better UI layer neither native or custom on any mobile platform bar none.

Touch Wiz is neat, but personally I don't think its any competition to HTC Sense.

clown_abhi said:
Shripad, the Galaxy S is Samsun's flagship model, so i guess they will not leave it hanging for updates like Froyo. Though the track record of Samsung might look the other way round ;)

I am not implying that Galaxy S may not get the Froyo update, but you are seriously mistaken if you think Galaxy S is Samsung's flagship product. unlike other companies, Samsung makes so many high end phones that there isn't something like a flagship product in their line up these days. If they release something now, they would release something better 4 months down the line.

clown_abhi said:
Hi Guys,
The Samsung Galaxy S has 480x800 display. HD video is 1080 pixels high (or atleast 720 for the little brother of HD). How does it matter whether the Samsung plays HD video or not? HD will not give any more clarity on the phone than a video which is encoded in 480x800.

clown_abhi said:
Sathyanaidu and desibond, i respect the views of both, but could you guys please avoid off topic talks here?

Desibond, u have a HTC legend? Hows ur experience with the HTC sense?
I liked HTC sense a lot in the beginning but I want to use the phone without any fancy UI for a while. And senseUI less ROM is already available at XDA. but what people say is right. It takes UI experience to whole new level and is best custom UI available on any platform. Also, I heard that TouchWiz UI 3.0 can match Sense UI.

A little off topic...but imp!

^ Well recent news points out that the Sense Ui in the HTC's actually stores a screenshot of the web browsing you do over the phone. The screenshots can be deleted but, what if someone didnt know how to? Yup it even stores it after a factory reset.

Now people dont know if its a lapse of judgement or.. its built into the phone on purpose, but imagine you hard reset your phone and the info is still there and say you have done banking over it.. oh boy! (When you sell your phone.. someone may be able to access it.)

However, im not fully aware of how far this problem persists, and/or on which devices. I just read it.. so just passing it on.

UPDATE: As several readers pointed out in the comments field, the bug stores screenshots of bookmarked sites only, and as they're stored on the microSD card rather than the ROM, it makes sense they wouldn't be deleted after a factory reset. You wouldn't expect your photos and other media to get deleted from the microSD card, so it figures the screenshots wouldn't either. It makes sense, but it still doesn't make it right.

Link: HTC Incredible Bug Stores Browser Screenshots Even After Factory Reset

@Desibond and Nemesis

I have also seen so many videos of HTC Sense and it is very nice with details to even subtle things. And nothing comes close but the reviews of Touchwiz 3 present on Samsung Galaxy S are also really good and they mention that even if it is not up to the mark of HTC sense it has evolved a lot with v3.0.

Full reviews have still not come and i am waiting for it to decide on the interface part.

Just out of inquisitiveness what updates do we get from the developers apart from OS update and apps from the Android market?

@amitkher

As far as the reviews go, the phone downscales the HD video but the clarity will still remain far better than a similar size video. Even on PC :)

@SoMxNemesis

This bug is bad but doesn't matter nonetheless since i am nt selling off this phone whichever i buy anytime soon ;) Thanks for pointing out though, it can be of help to other users :)

clown_abhi said:
@Desibond and Nemesis

I have also seen so many videos of HTC Sense and it is very nice with details to even subtle things. And nothing comes close but the reviews of Touchwiz 3 present on Samsung Galaxy S are also really good and they mention that even if it is not up to the mark of HTC sense it has evolved a lot with v3.0.

Full reviews have still not come and i am waiting for it to decide on the interface part.

Just out of inquisitiveness what updates do we get from the developers apart from OS update and apps from the Android market?

@amitkher

As far as the reviews go, the phone downscales the HD video but the clarity will still remain far better than a similar size video. Even on PC :)

@SoMxNemesis

This bug is bad but doesn't matter nonetheless since i am nt selling off this phone whichever i buy anytime soon ;) Thanks for pointing out though, it can be of help to other users :)
the best thing to do is to try it out yourself. Am sure that Samsung will give real pieces of Galaxy S to major stores. Give it a try and decide. btw, gsmarena did a full review (not preview) of this phone and they are mightily impressed.

clown_abhi said:
@Desibond and Nemesis

@amitkher
I don't understand. Videos can be watched :

1. On the phone: This is 480x800 resolution. Are you saying that Samsung manages to show HD videos more clearly than 480x800 videos on the phone? I think laws of physics are applicable to Samsung too :). What does "similar size video" mean? Similar size in megabytes, or resolution? You say "far better than" as if comparing 2 different kinds of videos - so what is the difference between the 2 kinds of videos if both kinds of size is similar?

2. On the PC: Why do you say "Even on PC"? Only on PC will HD videos look any better than 480x800 videos. (That too only if the PC has a screen with higher resolution than 480x800 ;). ) On the phone, HD video can at best look as good as 480x800 if laws of physics are followed.

Please point to the reviews you mention. That might make it clearer.

I guess i will have to wait for a proper review of Touchwiz 3.0 or till me or sum1 checks the phone out :)

Thanks everybody for helping me as always.

@Amitkher, check out the below review from techradar or wait for the reviews to come in and you will come to know.

The video playback is the best from any mobile phone on the market as well - not only can the Galaxy S downscale HD footage to play on the WVGA screen (and make it look great with the contrast ratios offered by the Super AMOLED display) but you can also pump it out to your big screen TV using the micro USB slot.

It can play MP4/DivX/WMV/H.264/H.263 file types - and we're sure AVI can be chucked in there too. It beats Archos' Android device hands down, which is pretty impressive in itself.

LINK: Samsung Galaxy S Review at Techradar

@clown_abhi: wait till sathyanaidu gets his hands on one, hes planning to getone as far as i know, hes even posted a sale thread for his old one :p

He can give you accurate info on the phone :D

Back