Other HTC one vs Galaxy S4 vs everybody else

blr_p

Skilled
So this is the redux of the last thread. It was an excellent read. Can't wait to have more.

An attempt if you will to not to let sleeping dogs lie :D

People go on about OT, but the best discussions i've read are just that. Provided people bring the requisite ammo to the party. Which the previous thread had lots of.

@comp-addict never did tell us which phone he went for eventually.

One thing i could see with the looks vs parcticality dept is that looks exacts costs. You have to be ready to suffer if you want to be beautiful. So if you want to have looks then how well can you mitigate the costs ?

Do that and it won't matter which phone you go for, so long as you are informed about the risks you take on.

I think @raks should guest moderate this thread, he seems ambidextrous enough :)

Last edited by a moderator:
HTC Butterfly FTW...especially if one can get the DNA from US.

Tempted to go that route but people say warranties won't be honoured. Fine. After a year nobody's warranty will be honoured anyway. So the next question is can they source the required parts if necessary from abroad. Or in your case particularly, you could just get them yourself and tell the guy to do his job. Fix it![DOUBLEPOST=1374086942][/DOUBLEPOST]
@blr_p
because comp@ddict is buying (secret... hush-hush) upcoming Sony phone at launch

upcoming sony ? last sony came out 3 months ago.

So when will their next phone come out ? next March ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tempted to go that route but people say warranties won't be honoured. Fine. After a year nobody's warranty will be honoured anyway. So the next question is can they source the required parts if necessary from abroad. Or in your case particularly, you could just get them yourself and tell the guy to do his job. Fix it!

Frankly, I don't hang on to a phone for a long time so I don't have to worry about warranty.
My first smartphone was the S2 which I bought for 28k and after nearly 1 year I couldn't even get half of that for it. So since then I have bought phones only from US and keep changing then after a month or two. This way I don't lose a lot since I only buy the phones once their prices have fallen, which doesn't take much long in the States and then sell them off after 1 month.
Losing money is inevitable but this way I get to at least enjoy a lot of devices.

Also these days I don't get excited at all by the new offerings because they don't have anything that different to offer. I am getting back into computer hardware as this seems like an interesting time especially in the hybrid world. That Ativ Q looks like such a great device.

Tempted to go that route but people say warranties won't be honoured. Fine. After a year nobody's warranty will be honoured anyway. So the next question is can they source the required parts if necessary from abroad. Or in your case particularly, you could just get them yourself and tell the guy to do his job. Fix it![DOUBLEPOST=1374086942][/DOUBLEPOST]

upcoming sony ? last sony came out 3 months ago.

So when will their next phone come out ? next March ?

Hint: IFA 2013
More Hint: September 4
Codename: Honami
Super duper hint: Good things coming our way

Waiting is always good as price will drop and you get more time to study the ins & outs of what you thought you should get.

Honami ? heh, i used to know somebody with that name, Girls name. it means 'little wave'. Waves in the sea. YOU SURE ABOUT THIS ONE addict :D

btw, regarding the htc one long time or difficult to fix argument, you just have to own a backup phone. Any phone that goes for service, top tier or bottom tier will not be in your possession until its returned. In a way ths does away with the supply chain advantage certain majors have in India.

According to Taiwanese site ePrice, the Xperia i1 features a high-end 20.7-Megapixel ExmorRS camera sensor powered by Sony’s Bionz image processing tech, which will be combined with a 2.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 series chipset and a 5″ 1080p display. That’ll make it the most impressive smartphone out there by quite a margin, on paper at least. There’s also something called a “Sony G Lens” mentioned on the spec sheet, which may be some sort of optical zoom or image stabilisation system. Or just a pretty new lens. We should see this latest Sony flagship shown off at the beginning of September, when Sony will be demonstrating its new things at the IFA tech show.
Courtesy gizmodo

Seems that sony got stung with the S4 and needs to counter.

Two flagships in a year ? hmm....i think Jan more like it, only a quarter later.

You gonna wait till Jan for intl release which means next May in India ?

Only thing that impresses me about that model is OIS & better camera. Faster CPUs will have to be underclocked to maximise battery life in which case what was the point of them anyway other than to throw the latest & greatest.

The only android model that has OIS is HTC one but its still camera could have been better.

When are vendors going to standardise on 32GB RAM. Yes can use microsd card but until android allows the entire app to be shifted and with any app, 16GB is cramped.

Only thing that impresses me about that model is OIS & better camera. Faster CPUs will have to be underclocked to maximise battery life in which case what was the point of them anyway other than to throw the latest & greatest.

The only android model that has OIS is HTC one but its still camera could have been better.

When are vendors going to standardise on 32GB RAM. Yes can use microsd card but until android allows the entire app to be shifted and with any app, 16GB is cramped.

You mean 32GB internal memory right.:rolleyes:

Yeah, i should have added 'in india' to the end of that sentence.

I want vendors to STOP making 16GB and standardise on 32GB internal memory models. This is the only way, we'll get them here in large enough numbers so as to be more affordable.

S4 released in 32 & 64GB models abroad.

Will we see them in India ? NO!

Samsung India thinks 16GB is enough :mad:

There's another angle here, iPad/iPhone come in 16/32/64GB models. Notice how much higher the 32 & 64GB ones are. I can get a 64GB microd sd card for Rs.3500. You mean to tell me its 10-20k more expensive.

No. Its a supply thing. They have very few models with those internal memory sizes so the price rise is a curve instead of a line !

^^ NAND Flash that is used as internal storage in phones is way costlier. In fact it is THE costliest component in a mobile phone. Increasing the size raises costs dramatically..

Believe what you want to :p
We'll see

Honami is a cameraphone to compete with S4 zoom & Nokia 1020. You did not say you wanted such a device.

My point is Honami is not going to compete with the xperia Z segment. Whose successor will only come out in India around April next year.

That is what i mean by not bringing out more than in one flagship in a year. To do so implies a problem with the former. It would be a dumb move.

How long you willing to wait ?

Honami is a cameraphone to compete with S4 zoom & Nokia 1020. You did not say you wanted such a device.

Who said a camera phone can't be a flagship competing with the rest?

Last I checked, Sony showed the world that flagship phones can be both water/dust resistant and good looking.

And besides, Honami is between 8.5-9.5mm thick. It won't have a big camera bump like the Lumia 1020, or probably a very minimal camera bump. It's the camera extensions (yea, extensions) which will rock the device into entry-level DSLR quality

Who said a camera phone can't be a flagship competing with the rest?
It won't because its a niche phone. The camera phone segment is what it targets unlike the Z which is more general use. Honami will compete with the S4 Zoom & Nokia 1020.

And besides, Honami is between 8.5-9.5mm thick. It won't have a big camera bump like the Lumia 1020, or probably a very minimal camera bump. It's the camera extensions (yea, extensions) which will rock the device into entry-level DSLR quality
So here's what i don't like about Honami.

The specs sheet goes on with a flagship-worthy 5" 1080p display, 2.2GHz quad-core Krait 400 CPU and 2GB of RAM on a Snapdragon 800 chipset. The battery, while still non-removable, will be bumped to 3,000mAh, from the 2,330mAh on the Xperia Z.

Just like the Xperia Z, the Sony Xperia Honami is said to be IP57 certified, which it is completely dust-protected and will withstand a meter of water for 30 minutes.
Given the costly replacement (cannot seem to do any repairs in India) issues the Z faces, the honami is going to be no different.

For such an awesome phone with a good street buzz....WTH can't Sony just make a normal phone without any of this waterproof crap :mad:

Last edited:
Back