Budget 0-20k htpc build help needed

g_sahota

Recruit
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • i have old dell inspiron 1545 laptop so all hardware that in it want to use like below
    • CPU - Intel core2 duo T6600
    • RAM - 4gb
    • Monitor - sony led tv
    • 65 watt adaptor
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • i have dell inspiron 1545 laptop so all hardware that in it want to use
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please menti have dell inspiron 1545 laptop so all hardware that in it want to useion the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Motherboard - that has integrated powerful graphics and hdmi out compatible with my laptop hardware
    • cabnet
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • no
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes/No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • HTPC
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • no
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usag
    1. Desktop - 1920x1080
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

Want to build htpc from my dell inspiron 1545 laptop hardware but want to change motherboard which has hdmi out and full hd resolution good graphics
which match and support my laptop other hardware like processor ram etc.

laptop cpus are usually soldered onto the motherboard so replacing them is not really a DIY job, however, your's is a pga478 socket so technically it should be possible. the issue here is the age of the platform - it will be hard to find a decent replacement for the mobo (or cpu). Upping the ram might be possible but other than that there isn't much else that can be done to a laptop.
BTW, i did run my old laptop like mini pc for a year after the screen broke. i basically unscrewed the entire monitor (bezel and hinges) out of the laptop and then plugged in the desktop monitor into the vga port, plugged in a usb mouse and it was all set.
the only tinkering i did on the inside was removing the wifi antenna (two wires that ran along the side of the screen) so they weren't dangling all over the keyboard and added another stick of ram.

Instead sell your laptop and get intel nuc it is available at 9-10k or you can use the raspberry pi 2, using nuc or raspberry pi will help you long term in saving power.

Back